Skip to content

The cost of the Sandthief Ring is daylight robbery!

25,000 gp for 7 uses is insane. It costs around 400g for 1 potion of invisibility, 7 would be 2800 so...I don't get it...why is it so expensive?

I much prefer the BG2 version of 1 use per day. Is there a way to change it for BG1? A mod perhaps?

Comments

• Mush_MushMush_Mush Member Posts: 476
    edited November 2016
    Thanks Tresset! :)

Uh I dropped the file into the override folder, the ring seemed unchanged, I started a new game and teleported to UB but it cost 168,000gp and still has 7 charges....did I do something wrong? I don't use weidu or anything
    Post edited by Mush_Mush on
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,318
    @Mush_Mush have you tested using the ring - in vanilla it also starts with charges, but once it's used it converts into 1 use per day. Of course at that cost you might struggle to acquire it legally :smile: (though given the cost you quoted for the basic EE ring earlier you're obviously not shopping with maximum charisma and reputation).
    edited November 2016
    I just used my wizardly powers to materialize 1mil gp. But yea just decreases by one charge when used :/

Charisma is 19 (i imported a high level char for ease) rep 11
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,318
    Mush_Mush said:

I just used my wizardly powers to materialize 1mil gp. But yea just decreases by one charge when used :/

That also happens in vanilla, but if you take it down to 1 charge and use that the ring remains, but converts to give 1 charge / day after resting (it also tends to convert after you've made any use of it and then rested - even if multiple charges remain at that point). In unmodded BGEE the ring just evaporates if you use the last charge.
    Grond0 said:

Mush_Mush said:

That also happens in vanilla, but if you take it down to 1 charge and use that the ring remains, but converts to give 1 charge / day after resting (it also tends to convert after you've made any use of it and then rested - even if multiple charges remain at that point). In unmodded BGEE the ring just evaporates if you use the last charge.
    Ah! You're right, once I'd used all 7 charges it regained 1 use after resting. Thankyou.
    One quirk that's happened when I added the file is the map has all areas lit as though selected when I go to fast travel, not a big deal but seems an odd side effect.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    Mush_Mush said:

One quirk that's happened when I added the file is the map has all areas lit as though selected when I go to fast travel, not a big deal but seems an odd side effect.

Didn't happen when I added the file for testing (nor should it have). Must be caused by something else. I did notice the issue with the charges though, and should have probably said something about that and how it goes away with rest.
  • PteranPteran Member Posts: 388
    Is this where we make item requests of @Tresset? I'd like an upgraded Dagger of Venom por favor! Just something with a high enough enchantment level to hit all creatures (I think that requires a +4?). I like poison, but the +2 just doesn't cut it later on...
    I do take requests yes, but I am not sure I want to take them in my Tresset's Choice Tweaks thread, because that is more for mods I use myself. Maybe I will make a new thread for requests... In the mean time @Pteran I will work on the dagger and post it here.
    @Pteran Here is your dagger! I didn't bother to update the description so it still says it is +2 but its stats are actually +4.
  • PteranPteran Member Posts: 388
    That's awesome, thank you! I got tired of shanking certain monsters and seeing "Weapon Ineffective."
    elminster said:

That is just cruel :)

It may have been a tad impulsive but Nymarah doesn't believe in capital puninishment, she had every intention of releasing him after he'd had time to reflect on his heinous price tags. :)

• KuronaKurona Member Posts: 881
    Poor Gorion, even though his foster daughter is so powerful she could have easily slaughtered Sarevok in Candlekeep she didn't bother to save him :(
    edited November 2016
    She feels terrible about that, he looked like he had it covered though...Deathbringer assault was unexpected.

- and apparently works through stoneskin (on the rare occasion Tamoko's DM fails)
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    Well by the end of the game there isn't really much to spend money on. And on a practical note, a ring is much more convenient than a potion. Ever grabbed the wrong potion in the middle of battle? You expect to go invisible but instead you are resistant to cold. Dangerous and embarrassing! Also ever drink an expired potion of invisibility? I did and only my head went invisible. Just pay extra for the ring
  • JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028
    Grum said:

Well by the end of the game there isn't really much to spend money on. And on a practical note, a ring is much more convenient than a potion. Ever grabbed the wrong potion in the middle of battle? You expect to go invisible but instead you are resistant to cold. Dangerous and embarrassing!

Considering how one can pause the game quite easily, especially when digging into their inventory, I can't say I've ever grabbed the wrong potion.
    Also ever drink an expired potion of invisibility? I did and only my head went invisible. Just pay extra for the ring
    Okay, now THAT'S a legitimate worry. Always check the dates on your potions, people.
    @Mush_Mush I just noticed that my changes to the ring made it cost around 100,000GP to buy with max rep and charisma... So that was kinda counterproductive to your original complaint. I have reattached the ring file, this time with a lower price tag.
    Thanks