Skip to content

Pure mage or mage/cleric

2»

Comments

• gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    brunardo said:

Not planning to do much melee with him @gorgonzola but do want that option as sooner or later (i.e ambush/drow) might need too and thinking of combinations like tensers to go with cleric buffs

In my experience, and I often send my CM variants, dual or multi, to mlee, is not needed and probably is even detrimental.
    The divine buffs give almost all the benefits of Tenser's T, there is one that give the fighter like thac0 and if used in the correct order, to reach 25 STR is not a problem (other +7 to the thac0).
    The only thing that Tenser's give and that can not replicated is doubling the HP, but a CM has arcane spells to completely negate the damage. And being under Tenser's prevents from casting, even if the enemies are MR a remove paralysis or some other spell can be useful.
    If you prefer Helm for RP reasons is fine, is a very good kit. But don't forget the end game mlee potential of the C->M, when he is in shapeshifted form Golem and buffed with that maxed roll 4d10 attack + STR bonus + the rest, more than 50 granted damages/hit. And don't foget that IH doubles each attack, and Simulacrum doubles the whole thing. Missing that 1 more APR from the boon translates at this level in missing more than 200 dmg/round :wink:
  • KhyronKhyron Member Posts: 627
    In my oppinion multiclassed casters are never preferrable if you run a full party.
    (unless it's a fighter/cleric or fighter/mage, in which case the magic isn't necessarily what makes or breaks your day)

On a Mage/Cleric you will really start to feel how inferior the character is when you get to BG2 and compare to either Anomen or Edwin who are single (one is dualed..) class in mage and cleric.

The whole point of a caster is that you want as many spells as possible, with as much oomph as possible.
    And so many spells are dependant on caster level.. which reflects your class level.

A lvl 20 mage has a lot more oomph to his spells than a lvl 13.. and a lvl 13 cleric's buffs last 7 rounds shorter than a lvl 20, his turn undead is useless etc.

Basically.. you get the worst of both worlds. You have a character that is entirely dependant on spells, and you'll have quite a few of them.. the problem is that they'll all be weak sauce compared to a single class character.

Now.. if you remove XP cap and play solo (or tiny party 2-3 chars) you will of course kick so much arse that even Minsc would have trouble liberally dispensing as many buttkicks of justice as you do.