Skip to content

Pure mage or mage/cleric

Just an opinion question:

Would you rather pure mage build or mage/cleric build?

I played around with both briefly just to see them, and wonder what other people tend to gravitate toward? I know in BG2 you get Aerie, but I never really liked her, personally... I found her severely annoying... On a full playthru (BG - BG2) I would almost rather have my own mage/cleric... Would also negate my need for characters like Branwen, Jaheira, Edwin, allowing me to take characters I never have taken before...

How do the two builds work for others? Is it too diverse to multi-class, or should you stick with one of the two, either mage or cleric? Just completed BG1 playthru with Shadowdancer, and I am always thieves/rogue builds, so contemplating something different, maybe...

Comments

• ValferysValferys Member Posts: 47
    Thanks :) I threw together a decent (I guess) half-elf Cleric/Mage. Where should stats be focused to make a well-rounded? I rolled a 91 and invested in INT and WIS (18/18) but not sure I need the full 18 in WIS?...
  • JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028
    Well, full casting stats are very nice, for having the maximum number of spells, 16 CON is all you need, 18 DEX would be nice, but you have backup protection in the form of spells, you want enough STR to carry whatever you're going to wear (like shields, or elven chainmail,) and CHA can be dumped harder than the after affects of Taco Tuesday.
  • GallengerGallenger Member Posts: 400
    There are a few things to consider.

1. The Elven chain is only available through Dorn, so if you have some kind of repulsion towards him that shouldn't factor into your considerations.

The relative advantages come this way - you'll get more powerful spells earlier, and more mage spells in general, as a pure class mage. So if you *really* want to be slinging fireballs and so forth around the multi-class may prove to be a bother. If you just want experience the multi-class - Quayle is the way to go. Why? Because you get Quayle late enough that he's already getting higher level spells so you didn't have to suffer through the early portion of the game.

But the advantage of having both is pretty nice because you're making yourself, likely, a redundant caster. Your party will still likely carry additional divine and arcane casters, and so you've got some relative freedom to invest in handy spells that maybe your regular caster doesn't have the space to fill. The cleric/mage can really add some flexibility to a party. For example, casting doom and then any spell that requires a save... like blindness. That can make for interesting times!

As far as stats, if you intend to play into BG2 you'll want 18 Wisdom for BG1 because you can get your WIS score to 21 that way - meaning you'll get bonus 3rd and 5th level cleric spells. Which is mighty handy.

INT at 18 is nice too because you can bump it to 19 permanently and set yourself up for easy street as far as how many spells you can have in your book.

If you're going to nix stats. 16 con as Jumbowheat suggests - also Cha is not that important unless you really want to have a mixed alignment party or have a shopping fetish. STR can also be nixed unless you're soloing, because you'll always have some mule to carry the goods for you and you're likely not engaging in melee very often so it isn't necessary to have STR - I find a str score of 10-12 is usually good enough for holding all the wands + scrolls + magical items + potions that I want to have on a caster of that type.

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Considering that I almost exclusively play multiclasses, my vote goes towards multiclass. You do trade off a better early game for a frankly insane mid/late game. Having access to both classes of magic is huge, one of the strongest classes in the game. You will probably want a second arcane caster early game though, you will lag in spells for a few levels.
  • islandkingislandking Member Posts: 426
    Consider mild mage, chain chaos shield+wish=unlimited spells
  • Mush_MushMush_Mush Member Posts: 476
    edited November 2016
    Cleric/Mage is a good class lots of nice little cross-class spell uses like putting healing spells into a sequencer or triple flame strike into spell trigger or using chain contingency to load 2x storm of vengeance with summon deva ( as a random example). Definately a fun class.

Stat wise Wisdom is your friend, more wisdom = more spells ...intelligence is less important 16 is enough. Con is always good but because you're a cleric multi you'll get extra HP compared to mage anyway. The main ones are Wis and Dex.

I would like to point out though that sorcerer is better than everything in my humble but totally true opinion :*

Edit: When I say 16 is enough int, starting on 16 in BG1 is enough because tome can boost to 17 and if need be you can get another point from watchers keep. but you won't need 18 int for a long time....unless you're starting from bg2 in which case may aswell go 17/18 to start.
    Note that you do need 18 int to eventually get level 9 spells.
  • namarienamarie Member Posts: 52
    Mage/Cleric

Because it's the only character that's immune to Tarnesh
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    I prefer pure mages in Baldur's Gate 1 because they are the only characters who can cast level 5 mage spells.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356

I prefer pure mages in Baldur's Gate 1 because they are the only characters who can cast level 5 mage spells.

Not strictly true. You could dual into Mage after 5 levels of Fighter or Cleric or 6 levels of Thief, and still reach level 9 of Mage (i.e. spell level 5) before the end of BG1.

(These are not my preferred levels for dualling, I'm just pointing out what's possible.)
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    Pure mage and C/M multi are quite different beasts.

The multi have a great versatility for the reason @Mush_Mush told, but also because with the right buffs, some of them cast on self, can be also a very good front liner. Cleric's thac0 is the second best after the fighter types (including rangers and pallies in the latter), and a cleric has spells to increase the STR up to 25, the thac0 and the damage. The mage's part give stoneskin and other protecting spells. My Aerie often go mlee, once she has the level and spells to do it, DW for 3 APR hasted and 4 improve hasted. If gnome even better, trades one more spell/level and ST bonus for a barred arcane school, that your main arcane caster will anyway cover.

But a mage reach lev9 spells at 3M XP, the M/C needs the double, in a 6 people party the M/C will reach it in late ToB. The single class mage will lack the versatility of the multi, but will be a much better pure caster. Not only at that point, but also earlier, he will have more damaging or lasting spells, when level matters, have earlier the strong skeleton summon and the mordy sword, the ADHW, Time Stop and so on. He will be the perfect main arcane caster but nothing more than that.

In a 5-6 people party they will cover 2 completely different roles, the mage will be the main caster, the multi will be really versatile mixing arcane and divine casting and, when needed, transforming himself in an untouchable mlee damage dealer and tank, but will be a secondary arcane caster, you will need some other mage to cover the role of main caster. In smaller parties, 3 or eventually 4 people, the things change and a C/M can also be the main arcane caster.
    Valferys said:

Would you rather pure mage build or mage/cleric build?

I played around with both briefly just to see them, and wonder what other people tend to gravitate toward?.

To play around with both briefly in BG1 is not enough if you want to go trough the whole saga, you get just an idea of what they are at low levels.
    I tend to use very often C/M, using Aerie that I don't dislike, as my ideal party is a 3 people one and for me a 5 people one is really crowded, and usually if I want a main caster charname I go sorcerer or F(7-9)->M.

Chose C/M if you want versatility and you plan to have also a better mage (leveling faster).
    Chose Mage if you want to have faster leveling and a mage that gets really strong in mid SoA and that in ToB, not only the last couple of battles, can summon planetars, unleash a whole spellbook using PI + IA +RoV at a cost of a lev7 spell and so on.

What's "PI + IA +RoV" ?
  • NeverusedNeverused Member Posts: 803
    Project Image, Improved Alacrity, and Robe of Vecna.

What I've found from M/C vs M is that M/C is the much stronger defensive and party-protector caster, while pure mages are significantly better offensive casters. M/C's niche over pure mages is that you can have game-saving spells tucked in sequencers or contingencies, negating the long cast times Cleric spells generally have. (Remove Paralysis + whatever is a favorite sequencer of mine in no-reloads). Also something that ought to be mentioned is Shields and Helms: Shield of Harmony, Shield of Balduran, Shield of Reflection all protect against stuff that a single-class mage can't easily protect himself against.

On the flip side, the C/M exchanges that versatility for much slower Arcane spell growth, the +1 spell per level by specialization (unless gnome,) the hardcoded -2 penalty to saves for spells of your specialization.

So if you want the bhaalspawn to be front-and-center, the star of the show in every battle, pure mage is probably the way to go. If you don't mind the bhaalspawn taking a supporting role for the majority of SoA, C/M is absolutely fantastic.

As far as stats for a C/M: 18 DEX, 15 or 16 CON, I'd like 17 or 18 INT, but WIS honestly isn't too crucially important for you, since you have two spellbooks to constantly use your actions on. It's nicer for the early game in BG1, but that's such a short period it's somewhat ignorable. STR and CHA can be fixed through items for carrying/purchasing, so those can be dumped into the 8 - 10 range. Something like 8/18/16/17/14/10 is a measly roll of 83, so it's not out of the question to max INT and WIS either with an 89 or 90.
    Neverused said:

Project Image, Improved Alacrity, and Robe of Vecna.

And you can add also the amulet of power. The robe and amulet cut the casting time quite a bit and the IA let cast without the 1 spell/round limit for 2 rounds. At the cost of a single lev7 spell, Project Image, your clone can cast fast the alacrity spell and then for 2 rounds cast like a machine gun, casting all the Improved Haste in the spellbook in less than one round, breaching enemies and lowering their magical resistance almost immediately, and then spamming rows of magic missiles and fire arrows, or of disabling spells, or use the high level spells. Whatever your style or the situation suggests, they are free and when your clone expires they are lost.
    This is the true power of a high level mage, some of us don't use it as they feel that is even too powerful.

In the case of the C/M the robe and amulet cut also the casting time of the divine spells, very useful as then he can heal fast in the middle of the battle, with minimal risk to get disrupted, and he can use those life saver spells, like the remove paralysis mentioned by @Neverused, very fast.
    As I often have both an high level mage or sorcerer and a C/M I usually give the robe to the C/M just for that reason and I move it to the mage before the battles when he need to cast fast or plan to use a Projected Image. You can not do it in the mid of the battle, but is perfectly legit to do it while the enemy is not in sight.
    Brilliant...
  • RelSundanRelSundan Member Posts: 918
    I would prefer having one mage and one cleric rather than a dual. You level faster a single class character and if you got two spellcasters, you can launch two spells in one round!
    edited November 2016
    @RelSundan in most of the saga a multi is not so far behind a single class in level, if your mage can cast lev8 spells your C/M with the same xp will cast lev 7 ones, not lev 4 ones.
    The only things where the single class have a clear advantage is turning undeads for the cleric and reaching lev9 spells at 3Mxp instead of 6M for the mage.
    But, as told before, the C/M can use his clerical spells in trigger, sequencers and contingencies and cast them fast with RoV. And can buff himself to become a good tank and physical damage dealer, also the cleric can, but with the arcane self protections is simply better.

And is true that you can not launch 2 spells in a round, but having a cleric and a mage mean to use 2 party members instead of one. You loose one more fighter, or a skald to buff the party, or an other mage, may be a sorcerer (if you use mod NPCs).
    You must compare a mage and a cleric with a M/C and a Kelsey or a Keldorn or a Korgan to be fair in your comparison.
    Or you can just use your M/C and have 1 less person in the party, so more XP for everybody.

I am not saying that to use a single class mage and a single class cleric is not a good way to go, is viable and funny to play, but to chose that way is more a play style thing, from the power perspective dual and multi is usually the way to go. Just dual early your mage and the cleric from fighter in BG1 and they will be much more effective until the end of ToB, with a GM potential, some more HP and, for the mage, access to all the weapons, shields and helmets. And also armor, when you use Tenser's Transformation. A Tenser transformed mage in full armor and with GM has tons of HP and loose only 1 APR from a proper fighter, the GM helps him also to hit often. A single class mage Tenser transformed usually do very little damage with his 1 APR and as soon as his stoneskin is over can not tank safely.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    Lately I'm really into using pure classes only, with no duplication of classes. I like each party member to have their own special role to fill and job to do. I think it makes a better story, it makes each character feel more unique, it makes my main character feel special and needed, and the sense of teamwork is very motivational and rewarding.

I've always been very attracted to the "classic four" party - warrior, healer, rogue, and wizard. If I want to go with six, I'll add a druid, bard, and or monk, but those last three are optional utility characters. The classic four can get through any scenario or solve any problem in any fantasy adventure game just fine.
    RelSundan said:

I would prefer having one mage and one cleric rather than a dual. You level faster a single class character and if you got two spellcasters, you can launch two spells in one round!

I agree, being able to cast two arcane or divine spells in the same round is indeed a very considerable boost to party power. Having a Mage and a Cleric and a multi-class Cleric/Mage to support both of them is very strong. Quayle (BG1) and Aerie (BG2) are both rather weak as main casters, but both of them are terrific as support casters, so I frequently take them along.

You must compare a mage and a cleric with a M/C and a Kelsey or a Keldorn or a Korgan to be fair in your comparison.

I agree, but if you're running a full party then that comparison will usually favour (in fact, strongly favour) the Mage plus Cleric rather than the Cleric/Mage plus yet-another-warrior. If you don't have any good warrior, then you're greatly improved by adding one, but if you've already got a couple of good warriors up front, then the gain from adding another warrior is likely to be much less than the gain from adding more casting power.

However, if you're running a small party, then yes, it might make more sense to combine your arcane and divine casting into one character ... although even then, that isn't necessarily the best way.
  • RelSundanRelSundan Member Posts: 918
    My party setup is fine. Arcane power serves me well. Since I use a cleric/fighter as a PC I give room for 2 spellcasters. I can cast cleric spells and fight in the same round. That gives me a lot of rounds spared.
    I think I run with no less than half my party as multiclasses. I can lose half my party and still have a full range of options.
    I'd rely on physical damagers more on Lob setting (increased enemy HP) as they provide more constant damage output than arcane casters who're inclined to be more support roles.
  • brunardobrunardo Member Posts: 526
    Great thread! Going to do a similar build my next full run on SCS insane but wanted to do a a dual cleric (Helm) to mage maybe once I get lvl 6 spell or lvl 7...any thoughts as know multi class C/M is probably better but for role playing want to keep Helm cleric dual to mage
    edited November 2016
    brunardo said:

Great thread! Going to do a similar build my next full run on SCS insane but wanted to do a a dual cleric (Helm) to mage maybe once I get lvl 6 spell or lvl 7...any thoughts as know multi class C/M is probably better but for role playing want to keep Helm cleric dual to mage

Try instead Lathander11->mage. You get 1 lev 7 spell and 2 boons, that let your dual have 6APR if DW with the usual cleric buffs (25STR and maxed damage roll) and IH and protections from the mage side for 11 rounds.
    @brunardo - I do have a protagonist rolled up for a PH11->M run, because I reckon it's an interesting experiment, but I haven't yet started that run (and I probably won't get around to that one for a while). It'll be a dual in early-SoA and completing in mid-SoA (probably during the Spellhold segment, before the Underdark), so not an unbearably long down-time.

Throughout BG1ee + SoD, he'll be a full-powered Cleric, and more able to fight in melee than most (because Seeking Sword is a +4 weapon with 3APR, which is darn good at BG1 levels!) In BG2ee, he can eventually reach Mage level 29, so he'll be a full-powered Mage, yet with sufficient access to Cleric spells that he can be my backup Cleric at the same time, and will share the special advantage of multi-class Cleric/Mages that he'll be able to use Cleric spells in Mage sequencers. I suspect he'll work out rather well.

@gorgonzola - designing a heavy-duty spellcaster and then comparing on the basis of melee ability is absurd. Once he has dualled, this character shouldn't be in melee, he'll be busy casting. When forced into melee by an ambush, well, he can still summon his Seeking Sword if necessary, but his melee ability after dualling is really pretty irrelevant to the build.

@gorgonzola - designing a heavy-duty spellcaster and then comparing on the basis of melee ability is absurd. Once he has dualled, this character shouldn't be in melee, he'll be busy casting. When forced into melee by an ambush, well, he can still summon his Seeking Sword if necessary, but his melee ability after dualling is really pretty irrelevant to the build.

It really depends on the play style.
    Personally if I have a main arcane caster who is also able to mlee effectively like a F->M or a C->M I try to make the best use of him. As he will dress the RoV he will cast fast the spell he can cast each round and if is useful in the situation I send him mlee.
    A buffed CoLathander->M can deal like 150dmg/round, with enemies with high MR like fire giants or drows you can need a lot of spells if you want to take down them magically and just bash them hard is easier and simpler and when I approach invisible a group of Beholders and attack them I want to have them fall fast, or something bad will happen. He can use his sequencers and contingences to buff fast, if he has a couple of fireshields active even better.

• brunardobrunardo Member Posts: 526
    Great advice @Gallowglass and that was kind of the way I want the run to go without too much of downtime in SOA getting the mage levels. Not planning to do much melee with him @gorgonzola but do want that option as sooner or later (i.e ambush/drow) might need too and thinking of combinations like tensers to go with cleric buffs...will try to keep PC out of line of fire for most part however and considered lathander but helm fits better for RP and want to try this seeking sword and true sight will come in handy for sure and not take a slot
  • StormvesselStormvessel Member Posts: 654
    edited December 2016
    A mage/anything is almost always stronger than a straight mage at max level. But the leveling is slower and at any given time the straight mage will have a lot more firepower.

My vote goes to mage/cleric multiclass.

Though Stormlord/PoT 9 > Mage 30 is also pretty strong. At Mage 30 you still get the maximum number of spells for mage...along with cleric hit points, Stormlord/PoT bonuses and better divine spellcasting capabilities than a Paladin.

But Cleric/Illusionist only has one fewer arcane casting per level than a Stormlord 9/Mage 30, but with full divine spellcasting. So if you're willing to give up horrid wilting, I'd say Cleric/Illusionist is the way to go.