Skip to content

The LoB + SCS Solo Challenge vs Bhaal´s Cataclysm

Comments

• Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,320
    @histamiini the bug only makes a difference of 5 to saving throws - the base is wrongly increased by 5, but they get 5 added to the actual saving throw roll. In most circumstances that means the chance of enemies saving is the same as in core difficulty. However, there is a separate oddity with the game engine (goes right back to vanilla) that any saving throw with a base of 20+ is an automatic failure, irrespective of adjustments to the die roll. That means that weaker enemies like gibberlings and kobolds will always fail saving throws in LoB, making something like charm person a much more effective crowd control mechanism than it should be.
  • histamiinihistamiini Member Posts: 1,442
    @Grond0 Oh ok now I understand it. Still +5 makes make enemies who are in the cutoff region suspectible to everything, so it changes the game drastically. They should really release the fix already.
    edited February 2019
    Ok buffed up and went full on tank mode (only one Power Potion) and succeeded in first try killing all the named enemies, which ended the battle. They weren't even managing to pass the chokepoint. Some micromanaging with correct belts and using summons as a distraction had to use the Goblet only six times.

t9yjrg2111wx.png
    ibuz6mfd3bzf.png
    d58exnhbkeek.png

Ashatiel took a long time when hitting only with crits, but eventually me and WoMS grinded her out.

nol9rv6d5ray.png

Passed hell invisible to talk to Trix, then used the out of the level, talk again, out again trick to enter the lift without fighting anybody. Now only Bel stands away, well and the lift which might actually be the harder one.
    edited February 2019
    Rolled Dame Vanderley, the perfect Cavalier. Used autoroller to get pretty much perfect roll 102 with 18/00, because I want to see if 2.5 LoB+SCS is beatable with melee. This also means no Algernon Cloak for Charm spamming because I would get Fallen killing Algernon.

frksbnttpisr.png

So I started the game and got to Beregost and I thought I would test the Fallen effect, killed Algernon but I don't see anything different, I still have my Cavalier abilities?
    Post edited by histamiini on
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    histamiini wrote: »
    So I started the game and got to Beregost and I thought I would test the Fallen effect, killed Algernon but I don't see anything different, I still have my Cavalier abilities?

Nice portrait! As long as Dame's reputation doesn't drop below 8 she should not fall as a paladin. At a reputation of 13 or higher, killing an innocent won't drop your rep below 8. Maybe you killed Algernon after getting a reputation point from Firebead Elvenhair?

Good luck with your run!
    edited February 2019
    Blackraven wrote: »
    Nice portrait! As long as Dame's reputation doesn't drop below 8 she should not fall as a paladin. At a reputation of 13 or higher, killing an innocent won't drop your rep below 8. Maybe you killed Algernon after getting a reputation point from Firebead Elvenhair?

Good luck with your run!
    It did drop to 7 as I went straight to Algernon. But it should be related to reputation rather than killing? Wiki talks about 7 as the cutoff point.

• BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486

Good luck with your run!
    It did drop to 7 as I went straight to Algernon. But it should be related to reputation rather than killing? Wiki talks about 7 as the cutoff point.

Hm I should have checked that myself. 7 it is then.
    I just did a quick test with a paladin killing a guest in Winthrop's inn. She didn't fall. Apparently falling is strictly reputation-related; killing an innocent will only cause a paladin to fall if it lowers rep below 7 (which according to the wiki only happens when your rep at the moment of the killing is 10 or lower).
    edited February 2019
    Hm I should have checked that myself. 7 it is then.
    I just did a quick test with a paladin killing a guest in Winthrop's inn. She didn't fall. Apparently falling is strictly reputation-related; killing an innocent will only cause a paladin to fall if it lowers rep below 7 (which according to the wiki only happens when your rep at the moment of the killing is 10 or lower).
    Yeah tested it too by killing a second innocent and I did fall. Lucky for me it being reputation related, and me getting the Algernon's cloak saves me from many tough situations. This was almost the reason I went for Berseker.
    edited February 2019
    Ongo wrote: »
    @histamiini against Belhifet and some other creatures, polymorph doesn't turn the target into a squirrel, but it does reduce the target's hitpoints to near death. At least that is my experience.
    Damn that's nice, just tested it on Bel and it works, reduced hp to 6. I always thought Immunity to Polymorph was was on all effects, but it's just for the animation. I'm guessing it's the Maximum HP Bonus effect that reduces hitpoints and if you're not immune to that it works? This opens up a whole new ball game.

@Grond0 That's good to know. Dame did just that, murdered Algernon, admired Drizzt getting killed, bought rep back to 12, killed Neera with Throwing Axes, wasted another civilian (Sonner) and lastly hacked Dushai to pieces. Could you start more unlike perfect Cavalier like? :D
    edited February 2019
    After doing amends for being insane, Dame fetched th Cha tome, did bunch of rep guests to get 20/20 economy and level 4, and I was able to take a Wolf and a Skeli without the help of potions. Bought Cloak of Displacement, Sandthief Ring and Greenstone Amulet for a cool 15k, then fetched the Con tome with invisibility.

Dame tried feeding Meilum for Kahrk, but apparently Kahrk didn't agro, so Meilum wasted him. Risk free 3500 xp, then I fed Meilum to the Kobbos. Same tactic with Riggilo and the Ghost for 3750 xp.

yic4sl3vlqfe.png

Was able to take on Landrin's Spiders and got to level 5. XP-loop didn't quite work out with Basilisk's, and got only to level 6 with 45k xp. It worked better in Durlag's Tower and got 10 loops to 127k xp and level 7. Recharged Sandthief Ring with 13k gold, damn that's expensive but at least I don't have scrolls to buy. Mulahey fed to the Kobbos as was Greywolf. In Bandit Camp only charmed Taurgosz for his Full Plate. After Charming him, and luring everybody to the far corner, the important tactic here is to go out of the level, and come back visible from the other side, because they will start homing onto you if you're invisible. That way you can loot the tent without being disturbed. Again recharged the Sandthief Ring. :| Charmed Drasus and Genthorn and fed them to the soldiers. Again charged the ring. :/

Battle Horror's were the first test really for Dame and it was not a success I don't think. I could take one of them with Cloud and Speed potions, but them having -16 AC I would've used about 10 healing potions or so which I didn't have. So the charmed guard lured them out and I lured them in the top room, and went invisible leaving them there. Then the guard killed Davaeorn.

qzdoqjr6vlzf.png

Sandthief 13k. :s In Baldur's Gate level skipped Ragefast spells, and Ramazith was killed by his own Skeli after I charmed him. Got to the max level of 8. Ithmeera killed Delorna for her Missile Necklace. Then I had a long scene of luring Helshara to kill charmed Nadine for her Missile Necklace, because I didn't want any reputation loss. But her weapon broke and I had to lure Ithmeera to finish it. After which I realized that you can actually get the necklace from doing her quest, felt really bad and reloaded it up. :D

9dolo1uz0r1f.png
    xeths4971fi6.png

There's 5 One Gift Lost's in Baldur's Gate EE for combined 125 Fireballs, which will be important against Sarevok and his band:

Shop in Carnival
    Shop in Elfsong Tavern
    Delorna
    Nadine
    Durlag's Tower last level

Don't know if I get the 5th one as it's deep in Durlag's Tower, but now is time to really test the perfect Cavalier against Love, because without Durlag's Goblet, there's no hope of beating the game.
    edited February 2019
    Dame vs. Love the showdown, the lowdown:

Love

HP 440
    AC -13
    Thac0 -4
    Damage 8-14 (slashing)
    APR 3

Dame

AC -20 (slashing)
    0 Invulnerability
    -6 2x Mind Focus
    -7 Helm of Balduran
    -8 Cloak of Balduran
    -9 Claw of Kazgaroth
    -11 Ring +2
    -13 Twinkle
    -17 Full Plate modifier
    -20 Slashing Belt modifier
    PfE doesn't work against Love because he's Neutral.

Thac0 -1 (max expect Storm instead of Violet and Heroism instead of Power potions)
    13 Base
    11 Heroism Potion
    5 Storm Potion +12
    4 Gauntlets +2
    3 Helm of Balduran
    2 Specialized +2
    -1 Twinkle 1d8+3

Damage 20-27

APR 4

Essentially Love will hit me every 4th on average, where's I will hit him every 2nd, harder and faster. And the calculation was quickly proven correct after finishing him without even the need of healing potions. Got the Goblet, which is nice with Cavalier immunity to Fear.

eebcd7fctykt.png
    Post edited by histamiini on
    edited February 2019
    Just found something nice as Thac0 is important for melee against Bel without the Martyr's Morningstar, and against Sarevok too possibly. There's another item to enhance this and it's the Champion's Strength scroll, which casts at level 9, so -3 for Thac0 for 27 rounds. And as a Paladin I can cast it, and that actually makes Cavalier the Thac0 king against Bel with the -3 Demon bonus. Ranger and Fighter with Grand Mastery are left behind. :)

There's two scrolls in BG EE, easy one with Durlag's Tower Dummy, and harder with the King in the Chessboard. This is fine because you possibly only need it against Sarevok. In Dragonspear, Belegram has 10 of these in stock.
    Just found something nice as Thac0 is important for melee against Bel without the Martyr's Morningstar, and against Sarevok too possibly. There's another item to enhance this and it's the Champion's Strength scroll, which casts at level 9, so -3 for Thac0 for 27 rounds. And as a Paladin I can cast it, and that actually makes Cavalier the Thac0 king against Bel with the -3 Demon bonus. Ranger and Fighter with Grand Mastery are left behind. :)

There's two scrolls in BG EE, easy one with Durlag's Tower Dummy, and harder with the King in the Chessboard. This is fine because you possibly only need it against Sarevok. In Dragonspear, Belegram has 10 of these in stock.

I agree those scrolls can be useful - there are also several other sellers of them in SoD, so they're easy to come by.

Incidentally, you could consider using scrolls of greater restoration in place of Durlag's Goblet if you find the latter hard to get with a character. I think there are at least 20 of those in SoD, which should be more than you need - particularly if used in concert with heroism / power potions. You can prevent fatigue by wearing the Battle Tankard obtained from Irina - that does cost you a bit as you lose the benefit of the Helm of Balduran, but it's still a decent option.
    edited February 2019
    Grond0 wrote: »
    I agree those scrolls can be useful - there are also several other sellers of them in SoD, so they're easy to come by.

Incidentally, you could consider using scrolls of greater restoration in place of Durlag's Goblet if you find the latter hard to get with a character. I think there are at least 20 of those in SoD, which should be more than you need - particularly if used in concert with heroism / power potions. You can prevent fatigue by wearing the Battle Tankard obtained from Irina - that does cost you a bit as you lose the benefit of the Helm of Balduran, but it's still a decent option.
    That's nice option, didn't even remember those as Wiki doesn't talk about them. But seeing that it has a cast time 3, it's not the ideal option, for the mayhem with Bel at least I don't think.

@Harpagornis Hello there! I've been busy too with ultra modded TES run from Daggerfall to Skyrim. But since that's done, again, and hearing some Baldur's Gate tune in Skyrim stream, it made we want to try this again. Haven't forgot too much, testing some runs atm.

You're also prorably not happy of the news that 2.5 LoB has made enemy AC better with no less than -11, which makes summons not that great. :D
    Grond0 wrote: »

That's nice option, didn't even remember those as Wiki doesn't talk about them. But seeing that it has a cast time 3, it's not the ideal option, for the mayhem with Bel at least I don't think.

Cast time for scrolls is not a major issue as they're uninterruptible.
    @Grond0 Oh yeah like I said, still have forgot some things. :D
    edited February 2019
    Back in Baldur's Gate, at Iron Throne Dame charmed Diyab who lured the double Shennara's to be minced between my blades, they had no chance. Then we hacked Thaldorn who doesn't agro. Then I had some fun with charming almost all the rest of them, excluding Zhalimar and the Dobbelgangers. You can do this with the cloaks if Zhalimar doesn't notice you. Then my gang killed the Dobbelgangers, Zhalimar wasted them and I then killed him.

bbz5xgnezcmd.png
    ayy7bdgl0khl.png

In Candlekeep I got the STR tome with Cloud potion and DUHM combo, charm killed Prat for his +2 Throwing Axe, which I don't probably even use but that's the completionist in me.

Easily charmed Slythe because of the saving throw bug, and after listening him repeating the line "Look it, Krystin..." over and over again, I just had to feed him to one of the guards. Didn't bother with Krystin. Palace Ambush, charmed the mage, slept and charmed the shaman. Buffed up and activated the battle, and omg did I kill the Dobblegangers fast compared to last run, although Leea got killed. Waited up, grinded the mage, then the shaman, and lastly hurt Sarevok a little. No problems really.

sqe177nk749v.png

Sarevok time. Activated the battle and started feeding fireballs from the One Gift Lost. After few of them Tazok made a surprise attack on me, what on earth? Well Dame wasted him easily 1on1. Semaj took 22, Angelo 25 and Diarmid 29 hits. Then hit Sarevok with 67 fireballs leaving each necklace with one charge. Sarevok still had 400/830 hp left. Buffed up, although of course I forgot to use the Champion's Strenght scroll. Nevertheless Sarevok was killed after 10th refresh from the Goblet. Well at least that gives me more Thac0 if Korlasz decides to be troublesome.

3q0cd06c3l3e.png
  • OngoOngo Member Posts: 11
    @histamiini for the fireballs did you kite or use fog of war? I seem to remember fog of war didn't work for me - Sarevok and his acolytes would run out of fog of war and attack after the first offensive spell.
    edited February 2019
    Ongo wrote: »
    @histamiini for the fireballs did you kite or use fog of war? I seem to remember fog of war didn't work for me - Sarevok and his acolytes would run out of fog of war and attack after the first offensive spell.
    Fog of war. If you go inside invisible, go see Sarevok, and then retreat back to the door, they should all start to hug each other. Then you can burn them afar, and they shouldn't attack you if they don't see you. Well Angelo will usually agro and find you when he's hurt enough, but not the rest of them, Tazok agroing was the first time in about 20 runs for me.
    @Ongo you may find it safer to attack from out of sight if, rather than attacking Sarevok and co immediately, you show yourself to him and then go into a corner of the room and go invisible. As noted, Angelo won't follow him, but the others will and I've never seen them respond to area damage in that situation if you don't then show yourself again.
  • OngoOngo Member Posts: 11
    @Grond0 and @histamiini I must have made some mistake when I tried the tactic with Sarevok.

Anyway, Pinhead Larry began BG2 by completing some of the easy quests in Athkatla like eliminating the slavers, killing the circus tent illusionist, and rescuing the dryads of the Windspear Hills.

Phase spiders are weaker in BG2 - their poison ticks for 2 damage instead of 5 - but skeleton warriors no longer break their weapons, and at level 12 Spider Spawn summons sword spiders. The most significant change is that there are more monsters with immunity to non-magical and weakly-enchanted weapons. Pinhead Larry had to avoid these until level 14, when he learned to cast Mordenkainen's Sword, which allowed him to venture into more difficult dungeons like the Planar Sphere and the Astral Prison.

Now at level 16, Pinhead's favorite strategy is still to keep out of sight and send an army of summoned creatures to destroy his enemies. A high-level mage may have a few copies of Death Spell memorized, but Pinhead Larry can cast Project Image 5 times, so altogether he can summon a theoretical maximum of 10 magical swords, 36 skeleton warriors, and 90 sword spiders before resting. This is more than enough to outlast the magical protections and exhaust the spells of very powerful spellcasters.
    edited February 2019
    @Ongo Nice one. Once you get Improved Haste Planetar, it should be able to solo many places. Even more so now as the Silver Sword will Vorpal more frequently with the saving throw bug.
    It's not been my day for this challenge (as usual). I rolled up a berserker that might dual later on and tried to get him some early XP by killing Drizzt after a gnoll punched him unconscious. In fact, over the course of the day, I tried 6 times (always starting no-reload of course). In one of those a gnoll kept his weapon intact and killed Drizzt, but in all the others the weapon broke. However, I never got the kill thanks to lightning bolts raining down from the sky. The long time required for that battle means lightning is not particularly unusual, but I wouldn't have expected quite so much of it ...
    edited February 2019
    Been testing out PfE against Belhifet and it doesn't seem to work.

Belhifet hits with - when on

9 hit, 8 miss -
    9 hit, 8 miss - PfE '10
    9 hit, 8 miss - PfE ability
    9 hit, 8 miss - Ring of Purity (vs. Evil)
    10 hit, 9 miss - Claw of Kazgaroth

Anyone know the reason?