Skip to content

Cannot Get SoD to Work on GOG

Hey guys!

So a few days ago, I started another complete run of the Baldur's Gate Series, using a number of mods (Baldur's Gate NPC Project, Unfinished Business, G3 BG2 Tweaks Pack, and Baldur's Gate Romantic Encounters). Upon starting the playthrough, I noticed that SoD wasn't playing nice with BG NPC, with Imoen suddenly channeling her demonic side, pulling lines from SoD (including a very scary "halt your assault" line). I uninstalled the expansion using GOG Galaxy (un-checked the box under the DLC section). Imoen stopped being a terrifying soothsayer, problem solved. However, now that I am about to tackle the final battle with Sarevok, I decided to re-install SoD (and install the Jaheira recast mod) so I could jump right into the next leg of saga. Thing is, after reinstalling the expansion, I can't start the game up. I've tried installing it via GOG Galaxy (again, checkbox). I've tried directly downloading it from the GOG website. I've tried the verify/repair option on GOG Galaxy to address any problems. Nothing works. The game just refuses to open with SoD installed. When I uninstall it, the game starts up just fine. This is baffling for me, since I didn't have this problem during my first SoD playthrough. Some additional info:

- I am playing on PC.
- Baldur's Gate is currently updated to version 2.3
- Both the Jaheira Recast mod and Modmerge seem to be unable to detect a SoD installation despite GOG Galaxy saying that it is installed
- There is a folder titled "sod-dlc" in my game folder with a number of BIF files in it

Anyone capable of helping me out with this?

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,713
    Did you use Modmerge? You mention it in your post, but I think you didn't install it. Just put modmerge.exe into the folder with the game (the one with chitin.key). After that, install mods.
  • NightingaleNightingale Member Posts: 61
    I tried this, but it did not work. I uninstalled all my mods and the game opened up with SoD installed. Afterward, I ran the modmerge.exe, but it didn't look like it did anything (It asked me if I wanted to continue and upon saying yes, shot a bunch of rapid-fire characters on the screen and then closed the window before I could read them). It is in my game folder with the chiten.key, so I assumed it worked and proceeded to reinstall the mods. As soon as I did, the game refused to open yet again. What's more, the Jaheira Recast mod continues to say that I don't have SoD installed, which is impossible, as I just saw that it was functioning without the mods.

Also, I was looking through the folder and noticed a sod-dlc.disabled file in there. Is this part of the problem?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,713
    It looks like you had Modmerge installed, and then unchecked the sod checkbox in GoG Galaxy.
    But GoG Galaxy doesn't know anything about modmerge/extracted files.

Your saves are in My documents, so they are safe. I would recommend to reinstall the game, then manually delete all the left subfolders, install the game again, then install modmerge and mods.
    NightingaleGate70
  • NightingaleNightingale Member Posts: 61
    @JuliusBorisov I followed your advice, and after making a "dlc" folder and moving the zip to that folder before running the .exe, everthing is working like a charm.

Thank you for your help. I really appreciate it :smile:
    JuliusBorisov