Skip to content

Anyone else skeptical about this remake?

I'm a long-time fan of Baldur's Gate. I consider it one, if not thee, greatest games of all time. So, with such high standards that players like I put on the series, it feels like the only direction you can go with it is down (in terms of a remake). I read that former Bioware employees are working on it, but I still have my doubts.

I believe at the very least, the tempo of the game will be disrupted; things will stand out that seem 'out of place' and not feel right. This might not be a problem for new players, but for old (pessmistic) fans, I'm not so sure I'm going to like the changes.

I'm a purist when it comes to these sorts of things. I also don't like the art direction that I see here... Castlekeep does not look like that. The profiles are anime-ish and cheap/kid-friendly looking... Even the skull seems lessened in a sense (I like the gritty texture that the original implied). Meh.

Comments

• BrudeBrude Member Posts: 560
    edited November 2012
    I have concerns -- but most of that is, honestly, based on Tutu being such a clusterflock.

I'm willing to give Beamdog the benefit of the doubt and wait to play it before passing judgement.

Worse comes to worst, I'm out $20 & I go back to playing the modded GOG versions I already own.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November 2012
    Brude said:

I have concerns -- but most of that is, honestly, based on Tutu being such a clusterflock.

Here lies my only real concern as well. However some of the devs are BG1 purists and are cracking the whip to keep it like BG1 and not have it become a clusterfuck of mixed art styles, a la TuTu.
    Brude said:

I'm willing to give Beamdog the benefit of the doubt and wait to play it before passing judgement.

Same here. The devs inspire a decent amount of confidence for me; only thing thus far that's disappointing is the terrible character stories.
  • RalavikRalavik Member Posts: 8

If it was remake, I could be skeptical and disturbed. But this is enhanced edition - I consider this as a re-releasing the whole game again with many improvements, not a 100% remake.

I don't know how "Castlekeep" looks, but I think that Candlekeep could have that kind of look, because in reality Candlekeep would be much bigger city/town than what you see in-game. Also I understand that art director can imagine this town different way than me, you or anyone here. Part about anime-ish "profiles" (what do you mean by "profiles?") I leave without comment.

Sorry, if you're purist then you shouldn't be here in the first place. Just enjoy pure, original Baldur's Gate, like you have been so far.

When I say how something "looks", I am meaning the art direction. ..."Profiles", as in avatars, the character art that you see on the main page. It's not hard to comprehend.

I'm here because, whether I like it or not, someone is remaking a renowned game. So, I have the right to raise my concerns. Sorry that you don't have the same respect for the series that I have.
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    edited November 2012
    It seems like it will be a lot better than Tutu or BGT to me, and its essentially the same game with tweaks, improvements, bug fixes and new content, so I can't see how it would dissapoint.

Its not like they are trying to reinvent the game in some terrible 3D engine with pure action based hack n slash combat, nor is anything being dumbed down, though I'm very skeptical about the possible BG3 doing crap like this based on the fact that there is no one out there who has ever made a new game like BG2 without dumbing everything down and removing everything that was originally so great about this genre.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    edited November 2012
    Ralavik said:

Castlekeep

You sure that purist and long-time fan are words you want to describe yourself with?

Still, I get the general concern. I would say that there's a fair chance of the out-of-the-box BG:EE game not being all that much of an improvement, if you compare it to present-day BG with all its bugfixes and content-expanding mods. It's even more likely than not that it won't deliver the same gaming experience, at least to me.

In my opinion the main value isn't the out of the box experience though, but rather the long-term potential. If BG:EE does well we will likely see more content for it in the future. More important still, with the reworked code, stuff that presently cannot be touched by the modding community could likely end up customizable. To get that, changes in the cutscene art direction would be a small price to pay - it's not like you spend a lot of time watching cutscenes during a playthrough.

And if they turn out to suck, I'd bet money that there will be a mod to get rid of them and put the old ones in instead. Same goes for NPC portraits that you don't like. In that perspective, it's win-win.
    Erm yea, and I forgot to say LOLOLOL @ Castlekeep.
  • HexHammerHexHammer Member Posts: 288
    Ralavik said:

I'm a purist when it comes to these sorts of things. I also don't like the art direction that I see here... Castlekeep does not look like that. The profiles are anime-ish and cheap/kid-friendly looking... Even the skull seems lessened in a sense (I like the gritty texture that the original implied). Meh.

I'm actually posetive about the new skull, way better than this 10 y old kid who made the old one.

• LadyEibhilinRhettLadyEibhilinRhett Member Posts: 1,078
    Baldur's Gate is Baldur's Gate, and I am enthusiastic to see the reboot. I mean, sure maybe it won't be just like the old one, but it'll still be Baldur's Gate. And who knows? Maybe it might even end up being (gasp!) better than the original! I like to stay positive about things until I'm proven wrong.
  • salierisalieri Member Posts: 245
    Anyone else skeptical? Why yes: Lots and lots of people who have started this exact same thread.
    Shin said:

Ralavik said:

Castlekeep

You sure that purist and long-time fan are words you want to describe yourself with?

Still, I get the general concern. I would say that there's a fair chance of the out-of-the-box BG:EE game not being all that much of an improvement, if you compare it to present-day BG with all its bugfixes and content-expanding mods. It's even more likely than not that it won't deliver the same gaming experience, at least to me.

In my opinion the main value isn't the out of the box experience though, but rather the long-term potential. If BG:EE does well we will likely see more content for it in the future. More important still, with the reworked code, stuff that presently cannot be touched by the modding community could likely end up customizable. To get that, changes in the cutscene art direction would be a small price to pay - it's not like you spend a lot of time watching cutscenes during a playthrough.

And if they turn out to suck, I'd bet money that there will be a mod to get rid of them and put the old ones in instead. Same goes for NPC portraits that you don't like. In that perspective, it's win-win.
    I've played the original many times and have tried out tutu, but it's been a while now. I would still be playing it, but I have other obligations at the moment. Castlekeep = Candlekeep. Excuse my typo.

Yes, I'm sure the modding community can do a lot to rectify things if needed. Though, with this release there may be an influx of new players who have never heard of Baldur's Gate. I'm hoping the out-of-the-box experience does the original justice as to why it's one of the greatest RPGs. I am hoping the gameplay, story, and art direction remain true to the original.

• MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    The only concern i have to be honest is when we'll be able to use BG1 animations as well in BG:EE :P, will it be post-ship? Before ship? I hope it's not that long after ship, if it's the first.

Everything else, i have no problem with, i like everything, and the devs were kind enough to listen and respond to many of our requests as well.

Nothing is really changing in a way that it would be bad for the first game.

Better resolutions and zoom? -> Good thing

3 new NPCs that you can take optionally? -> Good think, they're not forcing you

Bug fixes? -> Good thing

New adventure Y that's coming(sooner or later) and Black pits? -> Good thing

BG1 animations for optional use soon? -> SUPER good thing, the best for sure!

See how good i'm getting with my BG1 animation propaganda? ^^

And another one of these topics... *sigh* Hey, if you're just here to ridicule the efforts of the Beamdog team, just go play the original 'pure' game. From your description (which is based on vague first impressions anyway) you're not even giving the enhanced edition a chance. The Beamdog team is doing this for us, the players, the audience. They're rebooting and tidying up a game we all love, and this is the kind of reaction they get in return? Try out the game before writing it off, will you. Or maybe so-called 'purists' who can't even get Candlekeep's name right don't do that.

Yes, I am a purist. I'm sure you're the type of person that is easily entertained and kept happy via the most minimum of efforts from developers. Are you a fanboy? My intuition was rasining red flags as soon as I heard the word "Baldur's Gate Remake", then I come on here and check out the disappointing art... yeah. They have an uphill battle to climb. I hope they aren't trying to get a buck off the back of a legendary title. Seems like an easy way to make money if you ask me.

It's very obvious the original was made with passion; lets hope that same impression is felt when this releases.
  • salierisalieri Member Posts: 245
    edited November 2012
    Have you done much research in to what is actually happening with this release? Take your concern about the Candlekeep artwork: This is just promotional artwork, not part of the game design. In game, Candlekeep will look exactly the same as is always did. All this stuff about art direction is pretty much irrelevant as none of the art assets are being changed. Also, you'll notice that while the full-body promotional art for Neera does look a little anime-ish, her actual portrait is far less so:

http://www.baldursgate.com/images/neera/NeeraPortrait.jpg
  • DinoDino Member Posts: 291
    edited November 2012
    This is not a remake, but more of a definite edition of a classic game. Bug fixes, graphics tweaked to match modern computer setups, shorter loading times, a few added customization options, a ruleset upgrade. Maybe a few new items and balance adjustments.

Have you even clicked those links on the main page? I find the new characters portraits are in fact very much in line with the art style of BG1. Even more so than the portraits from BG2.

What kind of new content do you fear is going to interfere with the tempo of the game? The new 'content' is 3 new areas tied to the new characters as far as I know. Plus an arena mode outside of the campaign (which I believe will also be connected to the new multiplayer revision).

~~

Dont fret! Bucause there IS a god! The Unseeing Eye offers the faithful a clarity of vision, the true path to the divine!
    Bah, there are things I want to say but I'm not going to bother. The OP's first post was totally fine but his following two posts are just needlessly inflammatory.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    I find this silly. If the OP is unhappy that it's being re-made, he/she can go to GOG and get the original as it was.
  • PhilhelmPhilhelm Member Posts: 473
    I'm just looking forward to playing it on my widescreen monitor without having to download a thousand mods, or at worst, some damned virus. The general fixes and being able to use the class kits are just gravy.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    for all of us purist out there, im pretty sure we arent going to be impressed by this enhanced edition, so my take on it is, think of it as a completely new and different game, and then when you get bored with it, go back to the old version, besides all you need is a direct x controller to disable hardware acceleration and bg1 runs perfectly fine, and @Ralavik i think completely the same as you do on this, things will stand out big time, and the flow will just feel to different, but as i said, play this game as if it was a completely different game from bg and that can make it feel better, im a purist when it comes to this game, but because enhanced edition already has so many weird and whacky add ons, i might even install some mods to this game because its already been butchered, so might as well make bacon out of those meat strips
    I just tried to start up a new game of tutu with my pre rolled shapeshifter for BGEE and am planning an eveil party playthrough, but I got as far as reqruiting Montaron + Xzar, and the stupid Tutu mod gives Monty 2 points in shortsword, and 2 points in two weapon fighting at level 1 ....

I dont want 2WF on NPCs, I'd rather have a ranged weapon at the start of the game.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    i always give montaron skilled with bows he can actually be pretty decent with them eventually, and what is up with tutu giving everyone skills in two weapon fighting, ive only ever used the mod once eons ago, but man did that piss me off, they give khalid two weapon fighting in bastard swords, which is stupid as hell, he should have sword and shield style and long sword for this 4 points, look at his portrait, im pretty sure he is using a shield, and besides, two weapon fighting in bg1 is horrible
    edited November 2012
    Unless you're grabbing Drizzts scimitars on your PC, otherwise its useless. Even when I did that, I actually found the +3 Quarterstaff to be better so I could keep the eagle bow equipped.

And yea, Xzar starts with 1 point in daggers, I think thats the same in the base game as well. 4 HP and daggers, fantastic idea! Give all the mages Sling proficiency first!
  • drsahldrsahl Member Posts: 65
    edited November 2012
    I am not that concerned. Its not really a remake its a Enhancement and that being said I was tired of modding BG everytime I installed to play it again.. I would have payed them just for the resolution fix + tablet support.. I think this is going to make me play bg more than I would have so well..

if all went wrong worse case scenario is --> lost 20 bucks <-- but I guess its natural to be a little skeptic
    Ahahaha yeah TuTu sucks
  • GeldridgeGeldridge Member Posts: 21
    @Mungri

IIRC, putting points into daggers in BG1 also allowed proficiency with throwing daggers, which would make Xzar a bit easier to deal with...