Skip to content

Anyone else skeptical about this remake?

2»

Comments

• PhilhelmPhilhelm Member Posts: 473
    Geldridge said:

@Mungri

IIRC, putting points into daggers in BG1 also allowed proficiency with throwing daggers, which would make Xzar a bit easier to deal with...

I don't think that throwing daggers were introduced until BG2, and that darts and slings were the only ranged weapons available for mages. As for Xzar, it wouldn't surprise me that his first weapons of choice is a dagger/knife.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    sarevok57 said:

enhanced edition already has so many weird and whacky add ons

Such as?

• MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    Geldridge said:

@Mungri

IIRC, putting points into daggers in BG1 also allowed proficiency with throwing daggers, which would make Xzar a bit easier to deal with...

Throwing daggers are much heavier and far too expensive in the early game compared to a 1 gp sling and bullets. Darts would be great, but mages can't even land a hit with them. TBH its better to just stick a sling on unproficient mages too so they simply stay the heck away from everything.

That's a big reason why I never use darts - fighters and rogues can use bows, clerics can't use darts, and mages can't hit anything. Hmm, maybe a high dex druid could use darts.
  • HeinrichHeinrich Member Posts: 188

Its exactly the same game only without the bugs and better graphics, extra content and options.

^This.

Do we really need this kind of thread every friggin' month?

• griffianogriffiano Member Posts: 26
    Another new add on in this EE!!! I can't wait to explore this "Castlekeep" seriously though big LOL at you being a long time fan.

I have no concerns about this EE however because that is exactly what it is, an enhanced addition not a brand new game so buy, download and enjoy I know I will at work on my iPad ;)
  • BrudeBrude Member Posts: 560
    Philhelm said:

I don't think that throwing daggers were introduced until BG2, and that darts and slings were the only ranged weapons available for mages. As for Xzar, it wouldn't surprise me that his first weapons of choice is a dagger/knife.

Throwing daggers are on BG1. The smithy in Beregost sells them and they drop off the skeleton spawns in High Hedge.
  • RalavikRalavik Member Posts: 8
    edited November 2012
    griffiano said:

Another new add on in this EE!!! I can't wait to explore this "Castlekeep" seriously though big LOL at you being a long time fan.

I suppose you never heard the word typo, or gaffe. I was at work when I made the post, so I whipped it up in a hurry coming back from break.

Anywho, I can only hope the developers know what they are doing with the series. We'll see.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November 2012
    Brude said:

Philhelm said:

Throwing daggers are on BG1. The smithy in Beregost sells them and they drop off the skeleton spawns in High Hedge.
    Thank you Brude. These people not knowing anything about vanilla BG1, then making crude assumptions about it sicken me. *Disgruntled nobleman sound, HMPH!*
  • GygaxianProseGygaxianProse Member Posts: 201
    @mch202: the OS point is important, especially including iOS.

I will try out EE the day it becomes available in the Apple Store. If people are "skeptical", wait for the reviews. It all looks good to me. Boo also seems pleased.
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    Mungri said:

I just tried to start up a new game of tutu with my pre rolled shapeshifter for BGEE and am planning an eveil party playthrough, but I got as far as reqruiting Montaron + Xzar, and the stupid Tutu mod gives Monty 2 points in shortsword, and 2 points in two weapon fighting at level 1 ....

I dont want 2WF on NPCs, I'd rather have a ranged weapon at the start of the game.

Try BGT-Weidu, it's much better than Tutu. Monty has 2 pips each in shortswords and slings in that, which makes sense for a halfling
    No I don't like making the two games continous. It nerfs scrolls, trap and lock exp in BG2 by 1000x.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @Mungri Just use BGT tweaks to change back the tables to normal BG2 values when you're done with BG1.
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    Mungri said:

Unless you're grabbing Drizzts scimitars

... speaking of which, with true dual wield capability, he's going to be nasty ...

@mlnevese I'm not really bothered at this point to alter my installations. With BGEE coming out so soon Im not even bothering with the original games, all I'm doing is pre rolling lots of characters and getting prepared for BGEE, and then I'll never need to mod vanilla BG1 ever again.
  • gunmangunman Member Posts: 215
    I understand the OP concern. Some of the old-school RPG players saw a decline in the gaming industry over the years, and, in general, RPG remakes or sequels did not bring back the good old days of the '90s.

Those who think Diablo 1 > D2 > D3 know what I mean :)

I am not over enthusiastic with this, but I preordered because I think I may enjoy it. However I hope the added content can be easily be avoided / not standing out, in case they are crappy.

Mungri said:

Unless you're grabbing Drizzts scimitars

... speaking of which, with true dual wield capability, he's going to be nasty ...
    You mean Drizzt or the character you make for his Scimitars? He is easy to take down in the BG2 engine version of BG1 with thief traps.
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    Ralavik said:

griffiano said:

I suppose you never heard the word typo, or gaffe. I was at work when I made the post, so I whipped it up in a hurry coming back from break.

Anywho, I can only hope the developers know what they are doing with the series. We'll see.
    If when it comes out, and you don't like it, and don't buy it, are you going to come back here to complain about it?
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808

If when it comes out, and you don't like it, and don't buy it, are you going to come back here to complain about it?

I think we already know the answer to that question. This circular reasoning type topic really gets old. All I know is that I cannot install the game on my Windows 7 machine and I'm not buying a DOSBOX package for it (GOG) for the price I paid for EE (which will be native and work). This decision was made because I want the native OS support, the quicker load times and whatever graphical enhancements make it into the game.

I think my reasons are good. Since I spent my own money on it, I'm the only person that has to be convinced :D
  • Jean_LucJean_Luc Member Posts: 228

...and I'm not buying a DOSBOX package for it (GOG) for the price I paid for EE///

GOG-BG is 10$, EE is 20$. It's not the same price.

It should work on win 7, I've been able to run it on that and on win 8 currently. Have you downloaded all the patches?
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Gog version needs no official patches.
  • HeasHeas Member Posts: 54
    I'm not skepitcal about how good the game will be, But more about when the game will be avaliable,
    Why?
    Because no new screenshots
    Because barely any information except tweet decoding
    That's why.

Also really excited for the game, Totally preordered already.
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    edited November 2012
    Nope, this is not a remake. So that's where you are wrong right from the title.

This is a remake for NwN2:
    Candlekeep

This is a remake of BGII for Dragon Age: Origins
    http://youtu.be/DhL8iKN3rVA

This is an Enhanced Edition.
    It's a big expansion + mega update for a game we love. It's quite similar to Tales of the Sword Coast or Trials of the Luremaster or The Witcher: Enhanced Edition. More of what we like.

Post edited by Archaos on
    Its funny that most people who look at remakes in different engines are only interested based on the graphics. Neither the NWN nor DAO engines or gameplay are like BG. they may share some similarities, but all the rules, classes, and spell systems are entirely different, and to me a lot worse. Mages in BG2 to me are simply still the best experience of playing magic based characters in a video game. Hardly anything else out there, even newer D&D games share the same diversity, and spell types as were found in BG2.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @Archaos, thanks for linking that Baldur's Gate 2 Redux mod. I wasn't aware that it was available. I just downloaded it and played most of the bottom floor of Irenicus' dungeon. More people here ought to try it.
    Id be interested if it wasn't using such a vastly inferior combat and spell system to the original game. Those mods are just eye candy and nothing more.
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    edited November 2012
    Mungri said:

Its funny that most people who look at remakes in different engines are only interested based on the graphics. Neither the NWN nor DAO engines or gameplay are like BG. they may share some similarities, but all the rules, classes, and spell systems are entirely different, and to me a lot worse.

I am not interested in it only because of the updated graphics. The NwN2 engine is the best toolset to make such a remake. It's not like there are thousands of toolsets out there and the guys making it chose it for the graphics. Even NwN1 doesn't come close.
    There isn't a ADnD toolset out there. And NwN2 gives you lots of freedom to recreate the whole game in amazing detail while having familiar rulesets.
    A remake is all about making something new but familiar, keeping the spirit of the original game. If you hate the ruleset and think that it's all about eyecandy, then don't play it. It's not forced on you. I plan to play both the NwN2 and DAO remake and the enhanced edition.

It is being made by fans for the fans, for free and they have been working on the NwN2 remake for like 6 years with the best they have. That deserves some respect I think. They are doing what noone else has done and are still dedicated to it.

If you want the exact same ruleset and no eyecandy or changed graphics, then you want the original unchanged, not a remake.