Skip to content

BG EE and BGII EE Not Installing Properly

Alright, I know that I'm coming in with an old bug, but this one has some new crappery that's hanging me up.

Running Win 10 on a Dell Vostro 220, dual core @2.93GHz, 4GB RAM, Intel G45 Express integrated graphics chipset (this is running with its latest driver). Games are both the Steam version, no mods.

Installation goes fine, as expected, no errors. Upon trying to start the game is where I get errors.

-Game loads in windowed mode, before the game can launch I receive an error message (both directories are now loaded with bug reports)
-Have tried running as admin, running under every compatibility mode (literally all from Win95 to Win 8), no fix
-Installed both EXE files from the DIST folder in the game directory, no fix
-Tried running under 16-bit mode, tried 640x resolution, no fix

On top of this, people have reported game fixes by tweaking with the Baldur.ini/Baldur.lua file. My game does not have the Baldur.lua file, it is not in the Documents folder or the game directory itself. Windows 10 search reports back that Baldur.lua isn't even on my hard drive. I've reinstalled twice and verified the game cache at least three times, and it never spits back out the Baldur.lua folder for me to try and tweak with.

Comments

• GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Baldur.ini no longer applies, it has been superceded in current versions by baldur.lua instead.

The game re-writes baldur.lua each time you exit the game, so it may be the case that baldur.lua is first created when you first exit the game ... but of course, that probably isn't going to happen if you exit by crash instead of a normal exit. This may be why you currently have no baldur.lua.

Unfortunately I have no idea how to fix your problem, but perhaps some of the staff experts here will be able to assist. Are you around, @Gate70?
    IsilvenGate70
  • IsilvenIsilven Member Posts: 5
    @Gallowglass Ahhhh, so that explains the lack of baldur.lua! Thanks dude, I've been tearing out my hair wondering why the heck I couldn't find the darn thing.
    Gallowglass
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,870
    Could you attach a directx diagnostic please
    (Windows/R -> type dxdiag and click OK, let it run, save all information)

Drop the resulting file into the leave a comment box or use the attach image/file icon just above it.

Thanks
    JuliusBorisov
    @Gate70 Got it! Here's the txt file.
    It looks as if your graphics chipset is not supported under Windows 10.
    http://communities.intel.com/thread/78524
    http://www.dell.com/support/home/uk/en/ukbsdt1/product-support/product/vostro-220s/drivers

While not optimistic, we could at least try the two items below.

Install DirectX 9.0c alongside DirectX 12.

Try the alternate renderer, for which you would need an initial LUA file. Copy the attached baldur.txt to your documents\baldur's gate - enhanced edition folder then rename it to baldur.lua before launching the game.
    JuliusBorisovIsilven
    @Gate70 WA-HEY! Fired right up after installing from the file and slapping the txt in the Documents/Baldur's Gate folder and switching the extension to .lua. Thanks a billion! I know the joke was that "why doesn't it work on Intel chipsets, BG runs on my toaster", but hey, you got it to run on the computer equivalent of a toaster, my friend.
    JuliusBorisov
    Glad to hear it.

Here's one for BGIIEE, although the BGEE one may work (I didn't try it)
    JuliusBorisov
    And BGII:EE fires right up! There is some choppy audio during the movies, but that's all the issue I'm seeing. Totally liveable. Thanks triple!
    JuliusBorisov