Skip to content

Engine discussion

the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
So recently I started playing Divinity: Original Sin. It got me to thinking about engine choices and wanted to propose a discussion here. The rules are as follows:

1. Please be respectful of other's view points. This is all 100% subjective anyway so please keep it at that level
2. Please focus on the ENGINE, rather than the writing or the story or the characters
3. Please provide examples and reasons why you may like or dislike something
4. Let's keep it focused on Baldur's gate, ToEE, Divinity: Original Sin, Pillars of Eternity and similar games (Icewind Dale etc...).
5. Let's not say "X-game" should be re-done in "Y-engine". Just talk about how you like or dislike the various elements of each game.

I personally love Baldur's gate and have played it hardest and the most of all of the games. However I am a HUGE fan of turn based games being TURN BASED. In that, i am really enjoying Divinity quite a lot more than I thought that I would. I also like that the environment is a great deal more interactive and that you can make/craft stuff. I also like the Enhanced graphics upgrade, but that is probably a different animal.

So what do you guys (and gals) think?

Comments

• KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    There are currently two engines I'm rather fond of: Temple+ and openMW. Both of them were rewritten from the ground of from older games (Temple of Elemental Evil and Morrowind, respectively), allowing for previously impossible things concerning the creation and modification of fan content. They even have created their own toolsets/construction kits to round it up.

However, the RPG Maker series still holds a special place in my heart. It's far from perfect, or even mediocre powerful, but it gave rise to dozens upon dozens of enjoyable 2D indie games.
  • mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    I believe that the Baldur's Gate real-time with pause is the perfect engine for party-based RPG combat and exploration. It is my favorite for party based RPGs.
  • ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736
    As far as TB vs RT(wP) goes, I personally favor the switch between two modes, like in Fallout Tactics or Might and Magic VI-IX. Fight hard fights in proper TB, and switch to RT when you don't want wasting time on low-level thrash mobs that never heard of fleeing/ignoring too strong a player.