Skip to content

Someone apparently did the theme of the IWD Ice Museum thing in RealLife (TM) to horrifying results.

2»

Comments

• YgramulYgramul Member Posts: 1,059

.... never knew that IWD was fundametally about the futility of environmental concerns in an increasingly uncaring World populated by empathyless Salamanders.

Next up you will tell me that Planescape:Torment is about what can change the nature of a man.

*sigh*
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235

...I can't see Icewind Dale's aquatic museum anymore through all these walls of text....
    Where did my mackarel popsicles go? :hushed:

Had a fish popsicle once, was not impressed.
  • former_customerformer_customer Member Posts: 111
    It seems pretty cool to me. I would eagerly break out the Bauers to skate there. It's better to be made into a monument than simply be eaten. Ask Vladimir Lenin.
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    I don't find that horrifying at all. I think it looks kind of cool.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    edited November 2016
    Well, I find it tasteless because no matter the species they're still bodies. If these were human bodies would people see it the same way?

On the other hand, there will be people who believe in "humans first", so our beliefs differ from the very begining.

In IWD I also find the temple very sad ,but it's a symbolic thing since the game is a fictional story.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    DJKajuru said:

If these were human bodies would people see it the same way?

Pretty much. Visiting Body Worlds was quite a fascinating experience for me, personally. The Sedlec Ossuary also holds many a people awe-inspired I've heard over the years. When it comes down to it, the only difference between an ice museum and an ordinary fossile museum is the temperature.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300

DJKajuru said:

If these were human bodies would people see it the same way?

Pretty much. Visiting Body Worlds was quite a fascinating experience for me, personally. The Sedlec Ossuary also holds many a people awe-inspired I've heard over the years. When it comes down to it, the only difference between an ice museum and an ordinary fossile museum is the temperature.
    I understand the importance of it for educational purposes, but this specific case seems related to entertainment, doesn't it?
    @DJKajuru If one reads and watches the official responses of this particular exhibition, it was indeed targeted for both educational and entertainment purposes alike. Which is precisely why I find it sad for it to get shut down. There is nothing wrong with combining thirsting for knowledge and having fun at the same time.
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864

the only difference between an ice museum and an ordinary fossile museum is the temperature.

Not from the point of view of the sentient beings that get frozen, I understand that not all people rate in the same way the suffering of fishes, and that for me is fine. But that is an other difference, fossils are not sentient beings and (afaik) don't suffer pain, fishes after being put out of water probably make one of the worst deaths that their level of consciousness allows.
    I respect your feelings seeing that pool closed anyway, even if I don't share them I understand them.

the only difference between an ice museum and an ordinary fossile museum is the temperature.

Not from the point of view of the sentient beings that get frozen, I understand that not all people rate in the same way the suffering of fishes, and that for me is fine. But that is an other difference, fossils are not sentient beings and (afaik) don't suffer pain, fishes after being put out of water probably make one of the worst deaths that their level of consciousness allows.
    I respect your feelings seeing that pool closed anyway, even if I don't share them I understand them.
    That would be the case if the fishes were frozen alive, true. But that was not the case here. All of them were purchased already dead from the local fish market. It is also not a question whenever a life form was considered sentient or not in life. The preservation of dead bodies does not involve pain to the deceased. This does not change whenever they get frozen, embalmed, plastinationated, or are already fossilized.
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    It is the case here and in almost every situation in which humans use animal's bodied to feed or for other uses. It would have been less cruel to freeze the fishes while they was alive, as to die of freezing seems to be one of the less painful ways to die, while to die for lack of oxigen is really painful and frightening, as we know from the humans who has been enough near to the 2 ways of dying to tell us how they felt.
    I am not sure that our mammal experience can be exactly transferred to fishes putted outside of water, but to forget what had happen to those fishes before they was frozen in the pool is not correct.
    As I told I don't want to impose my beliefs to others, I think that is better to don't kill fishes at all, some other people can think that it is fine if is done to use those corpses to feed, others can think that it is fine even to decorate a pool and please the eye. But the part that a fish has in that begins when he get caught by the net, not when his corpse is purchased at the market place.
  • GodGod Member Posts: 1,150

:smirk:
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    Oh, @God has broken this page:)
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    This is why you don't outsource the fabric of existence to a freelance deity.
  • Mush_MushMush_Mush Member Posts: 476
    AdaJ said:
    Humans are such odd creatures.
  • GodGod Member Posts: 1,150
    I just wanted to see how people react to a cute fuzzy spider crawling right into their beloved forum as compared to a remote ideal of Finding Nemo being frozen :smirk: