Skip to content

Favorite Movie Monsters

ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
edited November 2016 in Off-Topic
Halloween may be over, but the doesn't mean the fun has to end. I'm a huge fan of monster movies, growing up watching the likes of Godzila, the Creature fromt the Black Lagoon, King Kong. Oddly enough, I have a hard time finding a decent monster flick these days (Can't stand most slasher films). A place to discuss my and your favorite movie monsters seems like a fun idea. Maybe we will get lucky and find some new favorites ;)
Post edited by ThacoBell on

Comments

• TeflonTeflon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 515
    Skeleton warriors from jason and argonauts, true classic. :)
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Those were great. I recently found out that in Dragon's Dogma all the skeleton enemies are animated as if they were stop motion. I play that game more than I used to.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    The swordfight against the animated statue of Kali from The Golden Voyage of Sinbad is pretty good. Extra bonus from that movie: Tom Baker as the evil sorcerer Koura.

That being said, does The Tall Man from Phantasm count? He isn't human, after all, but some sort of entity from another dimension.
    Hmmmm, well he certainly isn't human, so sure, he counts. I need to watch the old SInbad movie again. Havent seen them since I before the new millenium.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    The Blob. Mediocre movie, but so awesomely oozey hero from outer space. Although those nameless critters from Cloverfield were handsome as well, even if they lack the grace from old Kaiju movies. If we're talking about the traditional giant movie monsters however then my favourite goes to the Dogora space jellyfish.

Honorable mentioning goes to Big Man Japan. Because reasons.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRny1wok0Ao
    @Kamigoroshi gotta love Japan's propensity for sheer "What?" factor.
  • RodrianRodrian Member Posts: 426
    Speaking on the Movie Monsters: The Kraken (both from the "Pirates of the Caribbean"  and "Clash of the Titans" ) will always have a special place in my heart! (may be due to the Thalassophobia) :blush:

. .and if the TV Monsters count too: The Monster (a.k.a. the Demogorgon :smirk:) from the recent Netflix's biggest show "Stranger Things".
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    No surprise there given that the Kraken is part of the Norwegian saga Örvar-Oddr. On a side note, "Kraken" is also the old German word for "Octopus".
  • GodGod Member Posts: 1,150
    Vampires, obviously :smirk:
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    I was partial to Godzilla when I was a kid and have kept that affection ever since. Godzilla vs the Smog Monster scared the bejesus out of me when I was seven. If you haven't seen that one its worth a look. I'd suggest dropping some acid 1st though...
    @Balrog99 haha that one was definitely the weirdest. Awesome design on that smog monster though.
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    edited November 2016
    The Pale Man sitting (initially) motionless at the banquet feast in "Pan's Labyrinth". What a great creation from an absolutely wonderful film. But I also have to concur and admit that @Mathsorcerer has the best picks. Any stop-motion work from that era (and "Clash of the Titans") is peerless and both them and the Tall Man (Angus Scrimm) from the "Phantasm" movies are personal favorites, though the later also shares a horror movie ecosystem with Henry Kane from "Poltergeist".

Though this has nothing to do with movie monsters (though Angelica Houston is quite a good one in this film), this scene remains the creepiest damn thing I've ever seen in a movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiC54FkzlHU
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    edited November 2016

Honorable mentioning goes to Big Man Japan. Because reasons.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRny1wok0Ao

That trailer insults my intellgence much less than 2014 Godzilla movie. At least Big Man Japan seems to know exactly what it is, while Godzilla threw bunch of b*llshit at me and expected me to stop thinking.
    Post edited by O_Bruce on
    Any movie with monsters kinda falls apart if you think about it for 5 seconds, but that not why we love them :smiley:@jjstraka34 You know, I never did see Pan's Labyrinth. I should probably fix that.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    Yeah, but in that case the problem wasn't with giant monsters around, but with direction, characters and at least questionable decision they made.

Let's just hope that Kong: Skull Island is going to be better.
    The biggest problem I had with the movie was how much of a tease it was.
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    The best monster movie ever is Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein. Getting Lon Chaney and Bella Lugosi to parody their own roles was brilliant.
    @BillyYank Good comedy really is timeless.
  • TStaelTStael Member Posts: 861

Alien was nice. Especially in cereal style! =)

But less bold than "Meet the Feebles", eh? I regret that Jackson ever was given a big budget, because he was so delightful and disturbing before.

Bletch was something one had to see and unsee, all at once.
    Another personal favorite of mine: The Thing by John Carpenter. Great special effects and excellent performances from all actors involved (especially Kurt Russell and Wilford Brimsley). Well worth watching and holds up remarkably well for a relatively old movie.
    @Balrog99 Are you SURE you didn't mean to say the Balrog from LotR? ;)
    Balrog99 said:

Another personal favorite of mine: The Thing by John Carpenter. Great special effects and excellent performances from all actors involved (especially Kurt Russell and Wilford Brimsley). Well worth watching and holds up remarkably well for a relatively old movie.

"The Thing" is probably the closest we'll ever get to an adaption of "At the Mountains of Madness".

• BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768

Balrog99 said:

"The Thing" is probably the closest we'll ever get to an adaption of "At the Mountains of Madness".

It was actually an adaptation of Who Goes There? by John Campbell.
    BillyYank said:

Balrog99 said:

It was actually an adaptation of Who Goes There? by John Campbell.
    This I was aware of, I have that story in an anthology I bought at a $1 Store. Of course, Campbell himself MUST have been influenced by Lovecraft, as the story was written merely a year after he died. But the idea of an omnipotent alien being destroying an Antarctic expedition certainly fits the bill of Lovecraft's novella.

• FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    edited December 2016
    Daleks.

Any whilst discussing The Thing, did you know Doctor Who did a version (although it is closer to the first, B&W movie, as it was a couple of years prior to the Carpenter version)? The story is The Seeds of Doom.
    @ThacoBell I did really enjoy the seeing the balrog in the LotR movie. My moniker actually predated the movie however. When I was much younger I was fascinated by the depiction of that beast in the Tolkien novel...
  • BettyRoBettyRo Member Posts: 5
    One of my favorite movie is The Mist and The cabin in the woods..