Skip to content

My mistakes - some spoilers - and request for suggestions

I made two principle errors in playing the game. First, I moved too quickly to the encounter with Sarevok. My first attempt I entered Baldur's Gate at around 3rd-4th level. My second error - on my second attempt is that I dual classed Imoen to mage and again moved too quickly to Baldur's Gate. ( I reached the maze where Imoen was 4 mage / 5 thief - which meant I couldn't use her thieving abilities. Without the ability to disarm traps, I believe the Maze is very difficult - if not possible to traverse.) As a result, I left the city and I'm wandering to gain expereince. I've hunted wyverns and basilisks. Imoen just reached 5th level mage - but much to my irritation she needs to reach 6th level mage before she can use her thief abilities. So now I need about 20k experience for her to reach 6th level. I haven't done Durlag's Tower, Ulcaster, Ulgoth's Beard. Without thief abilities (beyond find traps via cleric spell) are any of those doable / worthwhile for exp with a party of 5-6th level?

My party includes:
Charname Dwarf Fighter
Imoen
Dynaheir
Branwen
Minsc
Ajantis

Thanks!

Comments

• GallengerGallenger Member Posts: 400
    edited December 2016
    There is enough exp in the game to, without grinding, get every member of a 6 person party to 151k xp - just wander around the forest regions you've not cleared out yet - touch all 4 sides to see what you may've missed. Almost every single one has at least 3 different things to do in them.

Ulcaster is dangerous, but doable, without a thief.

There is also an UNGODLY amount of xp available in the city of BG itself.

The game is mostly about exploration so you should be going over most areas with a fine toothed comb.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Both of these suggestions are very good.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    It's actually darn difficult to get as far as BG City at such low levels, you must really have rushed the main plot and skipped pretty much all of the side-areas and side-quests. There's loads out there, just wander around finding content, killing enemies, doing quests, etc.

As to specific things you ask: I don't recommend trying Durlag's Tower without Thief skills, it'll probably kill you. Ulcaster's Dungeon is do-able, but that too is better left until you've got Thief skills. Ulgoth's Beard doesn't necessitate Thief skills in itself, but it leads to off-map side-quests for which Thief skills are again valuable.

Exploring side-areas in the wilderness should easily give you enough xp to regain Imoen's Thief skills, and most of the wilderness areas require no Thief skills.
  • PentiumDPentiumD Member Posts: 62
    After the Nashkel Mines i went random quest hunting.
  • NoonNoon Member Posts: 202
    I guess you missed some subquests in baldur's gate city too, they give a lot of xp and most don't require a thief.
  • TheLiverpuncherTheLiverpuncher Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the suggestion - I'm not a fan of the Alora idea, because her hit points are so low and the maze is so darn deadly. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like there's another thief I can recruit given where I am in the story. (Coran isn't possible for example).

I guess I just need to wander around and do the side quests.

Thanks again.
  • PentiumDPentiumD Member Posts: 62
    Get Safana then she has good thief skills.
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    The traps in the maze cast lightning and magic missiles.
    Can you not just set them off using the potions absorption and magic blocking?
    Or do they repeat?

Alternatively, drop Atlantis for a while so that any experience you do gain is only split between 5, that can make a difference.
    Even better to drop more if there is anything you can do without magic, fetch quests, straight fighting ect.

• qwerty123456qwerty123456 Member Posts: 67
    I'm not sure why do you rush so much. Alora's HP don't really matter, as long as she's just disarming the traps, so you can take that route.
    Or wander around, yes.
    Or, if you're impatient, drop everyone except Imoen from the party and farm ankhegs in ankheg farm cave. Should take maybe 20 minutes.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Ankhegs.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.