Skip to content

Poisoning weapons in NearInfinity

WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651

Hey all,

getting near the end of my current mod and want to give out a unique weapon upon completion of a quest. I merely want it to have a 50% chance of doing poison damage for an extra round. not quite sure how to do this in NearInfinity however, nor can i find a decent tutorial on it. I can make the weapon and add in game just fine, the problem lies when trying to add the property as doing so causes the item to be unable to load and for the game to crash when trying to use it.

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited December 2016
    As I understand it you want the weapon to do X amount of poison damage each round - with there being a 50% chance of doing poison damage for an additional round?

I would check out how the Dagger of Venom from BG1/BGEE functions/how the item is structured. From that you can just add another poison effect to the weapon and increase the number of rounds that effect lasts. What may have happened at the moment is that you put an incorrect value in some aspect of your item (and the game is crashing because of that).

You can then change the percentages so that 50% of the time it does (for example) 2 poison damage for 1 round, and then 50% of the time it does poison damage for two rounds.

Percentages can be set in the probability fields. So in this case for the 1 round poison effect the lower probability field would read 0 and the higher one would read 50. In the case of the multi-round poison effect the lower probability field would be 51 and the higher one would be 100. So one of the poison effects might look something like this.

You can then change different values like the duration (the duration shown is in seconds , so 1 round = 6 seconds), how often the poison does damage, etc.
    Grammarsalad
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    Thank you for this, but I used another tool (DLTCEP) which was much easier for weapon creation. Now I got it all working, weapons, quests, everything :D
    elminsterGrammarsalad
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    A good rule of thumb is to start with an existing file that does something similar to what you want and then work from there.

Welcome to modderhood. It's like motherhood, but instead of birthing humans you now birth mods. :)