Skip to content

If you get normal weapon immunity in Hell trial, can you still cast Protection From Magical Weapons?

If you get normal weapon immunity in Hell trial, can you still cast Protection From Magical Weapons on yourself?

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Yes (though a lot of enemies at that point are likely to be hitting as if they are using magical weapons anyways, so normal weapon protection isn't that vital)
  • EinhardtEinhardt Member Posts: 53
    edited December 2016
    Glad to hear that. I read the spell description and it says "This spell cannot be cast on anyone who is protected from normal weapons…" and wondered if this makes the immunity bonus actually a penalty.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    Never trust descriptions, they usually only scratch the surface of what is really happening ;)

I believe the only restriction on PfMW is that it cannot be cast while the actual spell Protection from Normal Weapons is in effect - and only that literal spell, not a similar effect like innate immunity to normal weapons, or other spells granting such an immunity in some way.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    If it was the case, many powerful enemies would have been much easier. Liches, mariliths, dragons (?) and some other foes they all like casting pro from magic weapons, and they are naturally immune to normal weapons.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    edited December 2016
    Well, IIRC the hell trial actually protects you from both normal and +1 weapons, so it can be really useful in quite a few cases. I recall when my blackguard fought Draconis, Draconis (human form) liked to stop time and melee me. This would have probably been almost instant death had I not been immune to his melee weapon.

Edit: Well, it turns out he can't actually do lethal damage with the human form melee, but still, the immunity is nice in many cases.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Someone should give him a sword+3 or something, or have him use phantom blade type spell weapon. (Or BBoD, which may be a bit overkill) It is ridiculous he just uses his punches.
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    lunar said:

Someone should give him a sword+3 or something, or have him use phantom blade type spell weapon. (Or BBoD, which may be a bit overkill) It is ridiculous he just uses his punches.

This is well compensated by how insane he is in dragon form.
  • Yulaw9460Yulaw9460 Member Posts: 634
    edited November 2018
    Deleted.
    Post edited by Yulaw9460 on
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    edited December 2016
    Yulaw9460 said:

You do know he's just using you as a punching bag? To get the blood pumping for his dragon form attack? A little pre-combat workout.

I'm sure none of us understand why he didn't overthrow his father when he's so obviously the more powerful of the two.

Anyways, people sell short the power of normal and +1 immunity. Even in TOB, that makes for plenty of enemies you can ignore, especially in Saradush but also later.

Anyways, people sell short the power of normal and +1 immunity. Even in TOB, that makes for plenty of enemies you can ignore, especially in Saradush but also later.

Well yeah, but you can already ignore most of those anyway. Not that you shouldn't be evil anyway just for the +STR :P The immunity is really just a nice random bonus.
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428

Well yeah, but you can already ignore most of those anyway. Not that you shouldn't be evil anyway just for the +STR :P The immunity is really just a nice random bonus.

+STR? Honestly, I wonder if that's not overrated. Unless you go half-orc, you'll have a max of 19 going into SOA, raised by two in hell, that just matches the Frost Giant girdle. That means if you have another fighter you can give them that belt, but if not, or if you have Crom, then you're wasting your time. It's useful, but hardly a must-have the way I see it, especially since I usually only rely on two, maybe three fighter-types at most, and if I have three, the last guy tends to be a third wheel anyways.

+STR? Honestly, I wonder if that's not overrated.

HERESY!

But seriously, of all the bonuses available it's very likely the best. It's true that in some party setups it doesn't do much, but weapon damage is usually the most reliable source of damage, and having more of it tends to be very good. Of course, there are (as always) so many factors that make up an individual game that the value of anything varies dramatically.
  • Yulaw9460Yulaw9460 Member Posts: 634
    edited November 2018
    Deleted.
    Post edited by Yulaw9460 on