Skip to content

Early game low reputation trouble

Hi. This is my first time playing BG and - being primarily a console gamer, and a complacent one at that - I'm obviously a little clueless.

I have started the game with a rather low reputation to begin with (I know it's harder playing evil but I can't make myself be anything but... it's how I always play rpgs when given the option) and now with my party only ranging between levels 2-4 I realized my rep has hit 1.

Now, I have not been acting psychotic and I haven't killed any innocents! At least not unprovoked. Or... not without provoking them first... Oh, dang it, I haven't been slaughtering commoners in the streets, all right? That has to count for something! I have, however, recruited both Viconia and Dorn, and am rather adamant about keeping them in my party. I need Viconia for healing, and Dorn for the sheer power and... things.

But still, seeing as I'm low level and already villified, I fear I may be in trouble. I'm also not loaded enough to pay for even a single reputation point raise at a temple, and with the current prices not likely to get there any time soon either. Haven't ran into any Flaming Fist yet, oddly enough, but I'm sure they will come.

So, my question is - have I painted myself into a corner? Should I start over and try to do good deeds before committing to an eventual descent into villainy?

I'd be thankful for any tips!

Comments

• GallengerGallenger Member Posts: 400
    edited December 2016
    Basically with 1 rep here is how you need to approach it at very low level:

1. Be prepared to run away if a large amount of FF/guards catch you in town. The default guard spawns can be pretty tough early on, but if you can manage to get the jump on them they usually have pretty good loot so that's nice.

2. Using stores to buy things simply isn't going to happen at 1 rep - everything is ridiculously expensive. So, you'll have to live off the land for the most part (or steal in the town). There's nothing wrong with that really, all the best items are found rather than bought with very few exceptions. You'll still be able to buy potions when you need to later on.

It's certainly *harder* than playing as the goody-goody, but it's by no means impossible.

• TheRatPack55TheRatPack55 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks guys, guess I'll try hiding in the woods for a while and see if I can find some ways to bump my rep up a little bit, or at least get strong enough to be able to survive some encounters with the law.
  • PentiumDPentiumD Member Posts: 62
    There are a few quests that bump up your rep but mind you some are ogre infested areas.
  • OrlonKronsteenOrlonKronsteen Member Posts: 905
    Sounds like my early play-throughs! Trying to survive on the lam is one of the great Baldur's Gate challenges, IMO. Enjoy!
  • GallengerGallenger Member Posts: 400
    Just meet them at the O.K. Corral - if you're already past Nashkel you should be able to defeat them.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    edited January 2017
    @TheRatPack55 - yes, once they're present and hostile, then they'll stay present and hostile permanently (unless you kill them).

However, if all of your team are stealthed/sanctuaried/invisible, then you can stroll right past them into the smithy.

Alternatively, if you cast a couple of AoE disables (e.g. a couple of Hold Person or Web spells) and succeed in taking them all out of action (i.e. they all fail to save against the effect), then that doesn't hit your REP (unlike killing them), and again you can walk past them into the smithy. (If you use Web, then bear in mind that it's not party-friendly, so you might need to position it quite carefully to catch the FF yet still leave a clear path for you.)
    I sometimes lead them on a wild goose chase. Have one character draw them into an area that you don't ever need to travel through and chug an invisibility potion when you've got them where you want 'em. The guards will just stand around like stunned mullets.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356

The guards will just stand around like stunned mullets.

A mullet is a fish. If a mullet stood, then I'd be stunned! :grin:
  • TheRatPack55TheRatPack55 Member Posts: 4
    Good ideas, I'll have to try them out once I'm back in Beregost, though that may take me a while since I'm currently stuck in the Cloakwood mine.

I'd probably only manage to glue myself to the FF with web, but invisibility or sanctuary might work.

Hmmm... standing mullets and a stun effect - almost sounds like a new D&D spell. But what school to put it in - illusion or conjuration?
  • FennixTheFoxFennixTheFox Member Posts: 3

Hmmm... standing mullets and a stun effect - almost sounds like a new D&D spell. But what school to put it in - illusion or conjuration?
    I'd say Illusion or possibly Enchantment