Skip to content

NEW RUN after 5 years

Hi, I haven't played BGEE for 5 years and two days ago I decided to start a new run. I forgot almost everything about the game and, whilst is a good thing for the experience, it's very hard tooptimize the party.
My main character is a sorceress dragon disciple (Chaotic good), and i was thinking to build my party with:
Jaheira
Minsc
Yeslick/Branwen
Dynaheir
Coran

Which gearset and weapons do you think is better for every single PC in the list?

PS Sorry for my bad english

Comments

• GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Welcome back to the game, @drumcooler!

If you're taking Jaheira, then Khalid is a compulsory companion too. Of course there are ways to split the pair (such as deliberately letting Khalid get killed), but (since you're playing a Good protagonist) that's probably not something your character would want to do.

Thus if you don't want to drop anyone else to make room for Khalid, then you'll probably have to drop Jaheira. If you want to keep druidic magic, you could then include Faldorn instead, or otherwise the simplest change would be to have both Yeslick and Branwen instead of choosing between them.

Clarify what you want to do about party composition, and then I'll comment on weapons and armour etc.
  • OrlonKronsteenOrlonKronsteen Member Posts: 905
    Welcome back, @drumcooler! There's nothing like coming back from a break. It looks like you have a solid party. Condolences about Khalid (coughs and glances away shiftily) - a terrible tragedy.

Nice set up, @Gallowglass. With charname mages (or when I create my own team), I usually put the first proficiency point in a ranged weapon as they aren't going anywhere near melee, then their level 6 point in staves.

With charname mages (or when I create my own team), I usually put the first proficiency point in a ranged weapon as they aren't going anywhere near melee, then their level 6 point in staves.

I generally lean towards Daggers for a Mage protagonist's first proficiency (unless I have some specific reason to do otherwise), since that gives both ranged and melee all in one proficiency.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @Gallowglass , with Strength 13, Branwen isn't strong enough to wear plate or use a heavy shield. I usually give her the ankheg plate from Nashkel (which is light weight while providing the protection of full plate), and a medium shield.
    @BelgarathMTH - you're right, of course. I was mis-remembering her as STR 15, but that's my bad. Thanks for the correction.
  • Yann1989Yann1989 Member Posts: 92
    My first run was with Khalid, Jaheira, Imoen (dualed to mage), Yeslick and Coran. It went pretty well!
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    But Branwen is great regardless her strength. I nearly listed many ways that she rocks in BG1, but maybe I need to make that a separate discussion.

I play unmodded; the only thing that would tempt me to install mods would be to add banters to BG1, and to add Branwen to BG2. I was so disappointed that she was only in the tutorial, particularly with how much more NPC interaction there was in BG2.