Skip to content

ideas for crypt ranger kit

marcosmarcos Member Posts: 71
Hey Gang,

I'm toying around with the idea of a Crypt Ranger kit. It's an idea from the Complete Ranger's Handbook that was never (to my knowledge) fleshed out. Think of it as an Undead Hunter for Rangers.

I'd like to put something together that is new and not overpowered. So no Hold Undead at first level, for instance.

I'd also like it to have some power in BGEE and not have to wait until BG2EE for the kit to come into its own.

I'm open to ideas. Like I said, I don't want to just make a Ranger version of Undead Hunter.

Possibilities: Perhaps have an innate ability that's like Protection from Evil, but giving the attack penalty only to undead. Or, instead, perhaps an nerfed Bolt of Glory that does lower-level damage, again only to undead.

I'm wondering if--and how--I could restrict favored enemies at character creation to undead.

Oh, and I'm wondering more generally the damage from weapons like the Harrower or Azuredge stacks with the damage a Ranger or Undead Hunter deals.

Thoughts and suggestions are welcome.

Comments

•  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    Most of your suggestions are easily doable. I don't think it's possible to restrict favored enemies, and the options for undead are specific by race anyways (e.g. liches, skeletons, shadows) So... something like this?

Advantages (could just be a few of the following, not all of them):

Immunity to fear and hold (common undead status effects that would be useful for BG1)
    +3 to hit/damage against undead
    Hold Undead as a level 2 priest spell
    Animate Dead as a level 3 priest spell
    Undead Killer innate (or whatever name for a mini-Bolt of Glory) - 1d4 damage + 1 per level against undead
    Immunity to level drain at mid-high levels (level 8-10)?

Disadvantages:

No armor heavier than studded leather
    No Charm Animal
    Probably something else I can't think of right now - the advantages kind of outweigh the drawbacks atm.
  • marcosmarcos Member Posts: 71
    Thanks. This is food for thought.

I like the immunity to fear + hold. Maybe leave Negative Plane Protection out of it completely.

Too bad I can't restrict favored enemies (in BGEE) to just Ghouls, Skeletons, and Shadows. That was going to be one of the disadvantages.

I wonder how the +3 to hit/damage against all undead would interact with the favored enemy choice. And if it's overpowered.

I was thinking of adding Hold Undead, Repulse Undead, and Control Undead to the spell list. Animate Dead, not so much: I imagine my ranger hating undead.

I like your idea for damage for the mini-Bolt of Glory. I wonder if I can apply it to a weapon-strike, kinda like Smite Evil in IWD2.

Regardless, I don't want to pile everything on--just two or three simple ideas.

@marcos

Negative Plane Protection: up to you. I just utterly loathe vampires and their stupid level drain.

Animate Dead: From the Complete Ranger's Handbook: "Cemeteries, battlefields, or other locales associated with death are his primary terrain. His followers are non-evil undead." I felt Animate Dead would be the closest fit, and something that's generally useful. This class is pretty garbage while fighting anything that's not undead.

+3 to hit/damage: The Undead Hunter gets the same bonus, and I'd say paladins > rangers as a whole so it's hardly unfair.

On-hit Bolt of Glory: Making it for one hit only is tricky to implement. You can make it effective for 1 round, that's doable.
    edited December 2016

On-hit Bolt of Glory: Making it for one hit only is tricky to implement. You can make it effective for 1 round, that's doable.

Cool. I can work with that. How's it done?
    There's a handful of on-attack abilities that last for a short duration (e.g. Stunning Blow, Quivering Palm, etc.) that have similar effects. I've never tried making it only affect specific races but it probably can be done. You'd need to use opcode 248 (Set Melee Effect) and 249 (Set Ranged Effect) then create an effect file that deals magic damage to undead creatures only.
    That's what I thought. 249 is used for Called Shot too, I think.
    Okay, I want to play around with the spell list, adding some spells to the spellbook and taking others away.

I've been able to add spells via the CLAB file--no problem. But I'm having problems removing spells from the spellbook.

I've tried using a dummy spell with a global effect using opcode 172. I've tried making it a passive ability (AP_SPELL) and it doesn't work. If I do (GA_SPELL), I can get it to work, but now I have the dummy spell either in my spell book or as an innate ability, which kind of defeats the purpose.

I must be doing something wrong. What is it?
    Figured out how to remove spells. :)
    Sigh. I don't think it's going to work. I just tried out the Undead Hunter's bonus on a ranger with Ghoul as favored enemy. The two bonuses stack. Way, way too overpowered. On a critical hit, I chunked a Ghoul with 44 damage. At first level.

If there were a way to make them not stack, then I'd consider working on the kit. But it's currently beyond my capabilities.

Add to it that I can't restrict the choice of favored enemy at character creation--I think the kit is a no go.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited January 2017
    marcos said:

Sigh. I don't think it's going to work. I just tried out the Undead Hunter's bonus on a ranger with Ghoul as favored enemy. The two bonuses stack. Way, way too overpowered. On a critical hit, I chunked a Ghoul with 44 damage. At first level.

If there were a way to make them not stack, then I'd consider working on the kit. But it's currently beyond my capabilities.

Add to it that I can't restrict the choice of favored enemy at character creation--I think the kit is a no go.

I think the HATERACE 2da file is the file that handles what racial enemies you can choose (there may be more involved than just it though). You can't remove access to some based on a kit though.

I believe the bonus for racial enemies is also hardcoded. You might be able to create a script that checks the "HATEDRACE" stat for any undead choices and then applies some bonus or penalty to your Thac0/damage against that type of enemy (by using a permanent spell file). But I think figuring that out might be pretty involved (and it likely would be an imperfect method).
    Post edited by elminster on
    For what it's worth, I was just playing around and added Zombies to HATERACE.2da. I created a character and the option showed up on the list; then I started a game and CreateCreatured some zombies. It looks like I'm getting the correct damage bonus. The only limitation: The character sheet lists the race as "Skeleton." I wonder if this is fixable.

Then I went in and took "Dragon" off the list at character generation. No problem. (I don't know why it's there anyway.)

It seems like any race in RACE.IDS is fair game. So simple.

What are the possibilities here? How does the new GUI make some options invisible at character creation?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    edited January 2017
    Thanks, @subtledoctor. Some questions:

1. If I were to modify the .2da in the way you suggested, how would I get the character sheet to show "Varies by Kit" in game? It would be that, not the inconsequential race, yes? But the inconsequential race would show up at character generation?

2. How do you do the dialogue in your mod? A literal dialogue with a character? I could imagine placing a ranger in Candlekeep and having a conversation with them.
    Post edited by marcos on
  • Contemplative_HamsterContemplative_Hamster Member Posts: 844
    edited January 2017
    The Crypt Ranger was fleshed out a bit in Dragon Magazine. Please see the attached file. Perhaps this can provide more food for thought. Of course, translating PnP DnD into BG terms is no easy task, as you have already discussed.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    edited January 2017
    Advantages:

+3 Hit / +3 Damage against Undeads

Protection From Evil

Casts Remove Fear as a priest of the same level. Gains an use at level 2 and gains another every 4 levels up to three uses at level 10

Casts Remove Paralyze as a priest of the same level. Gains an use at level 2 and gains another every 4 levels up to three uses at level 10

Casts Negative Plane Protection as a priest of the same level. Gains an use at level 2 and gains another every 4 levels up to three uses at level 10

At level 10 gains the ability to cast Phantom Blade once per day as a wizard of the same level

At level 12 gains the ability to cast False Dawn once per day as a priest of the same level

At level 15 gains the ability to cast Sunray once per day as a priest of the same level

At level 17 gains the Strong Soul ability:

STRONG SOUL

The Crypt Ranger constantly faces death during its life. This kind of experience let him endure things that other warriors would not be capable of. During 1 Round/Level it becomes immune to Charm, Fear, Hold, Energy Drain, Death Magic, Maze and Imprisonment.

Disadvantages:

May only use Crossbow, Maces, Longswords and Axes.
    Alignment restricted to Lawful Good
    Can't wear metal armor
    -2 Charisma penalty
    No Charm Animal
    Can't cast spells

@elminster @subtledoctor can you guys evaluate? Don't know if I was too generous with the advantages or too harsh with the disadvantages.

My comments: Negative Plane Protection as an early immunity or spell-like ability would make him way overpower. Same goes to Hold Undead. You don't want to get bored hunting the bastards. Against some kind of undead you will start with a +7 Hit / +7 Damage (+17 if using the Phantom Blade).

I think that letting him/her use the Phantom Blade as a Master (+++) would be great. Don't know if it is possible.

Control Undead and Animate Dead are really out of question for this kit.
    Post edited by Raduziel on
    edited January 2017
    I think I solved the Phantom Blade thing.

Altered the Effect (amount from 1 to 3 in Opcode 233).

Changed the Spell a bit (Schoolless, Innate, Casting Time 1).

It should create the exact same Phantom Blade but faster, as an innate spell and giving Mastery (+++) proficiency.

Don't know if it works cause it's the first time ever I do such a thing, it's 0023am here in Brazil and I don't know how to implement it in the game.
    Thanks, @rrchristensen! I had seen the excerpt on Crypt Rangers before, but not on Crypt Defenders. Awesome.

Some thoughts on the piece from Dragon (counter arguments are welcome):

1. I don't think I want to implement the intelligence bonus. Stat bonuses just inflate ability scores. On the other hand, I might want to implement the penalty to reaction rolls as a -2 to Charisma. It makes sense thematically: I bet Crypt Rangers are pretty creepy.

2. Immunity to fear: Not as common from undead in BGEE and so not as useful. I was thinking of immunity to hold (Ghouls/Ghasts) and charm (Vampires), which is more in line with BG. The question is, one or both?

3. Protection from Evil: Yeah, as an innate. Since most kits in BGEE take when they give, this could be substituted for Charm Animal.

4. BGEE can do Detect Undead. Thus, perhaps substitute another undead-focused spell.

edited January 2017
    @Raduziel

You're not that far from what I was thinking. It's more conservative than yours, but I still wonder if it's overpowered. Here it is:

CRYPT RANGER: These rangers are grim hunters of the undead. Unfortunately, the people have come to associate them with the evil they work to eradicate. It does not help that they have sacrificed their power over nature to gain necromantic magic.

Advantages:
    - +3 bonus to hit and damage rolls against all undead creatures.
    - May cast the following Necromantic and Protection spells:
    Protection from Evil: Gains one use at level 1 and an additional use every other level thereafter.
    Animate Dead: Gains one use at level 1, one use at level 5, and an additional use every 5 levels thereafter.
    Hold Undead: Gains one use at level 5 and an additional use every 5 levels thereafter.
    Negative Plane Protection: Gains one use at level 10 and an additional use every 10 levels thereafter.
    - Immune to hold and charm.

Disadvantages:
    - May not cast druidic spells.
    - May not use Charm Animal ability.
    - Incurs a -2 deficit to Charisma.

Part of me wants to give them a +4, because the idea of a Paladin being a better undead hunter than a Ranger irks me.
    edited January 2017
    I didn't got the Animate Dead. Why? The way I see he wants to kill undeads, not make some more of them.

And about the immunities: I think they should be, everytime it is possible, against the opcode used by undeads. So he would be immune to a Ghoul's paralyze, but not to Hold Person. And so on.

IDK if it is possible to do this for every undead effect, but it is a nice way to balance things. Even to mod the Undead Hunter the same way.
    @Raduziel, I get your point about Animate Dead, but I think @Artemius_I makes a good point above:

@marcos

Animate Dead: From the Complete Ranger's Handbook: "Cemeteries, battlefields, or other locales associated with death are his primary terrain. His followers are non-evil undead." I felt Animate Dead would be the closest fit, and something that's generally useful. This class is pretty garbage while fighting anything that's not undead.

I think of it like this: The creepy Crypt Ranger is using fire against fire. Getting rid of the undead by any means necessary. And it would be part of the reason that s/he takes a hit to Charisma.

@marcos

Well, this argument sounds a little 3rd Edition the way I see, where rangers got rid of the alignment restriction.

Either way, if you wanna use it, I recommend to forgot my LG-only disadvantage.

I really ain't comfortable with the Animate Dead, but it your mod :smile:

Maybe, if it's ok for you, I'll do my own version.
    @Raduziel Of course it's okay with me! We should mod as we want, and it's good to have possibilities.
    Ok, now all I have to do is learn how to mod it lol.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited January 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    @chimaera: Thanks for the feedback.

I chose the hold/charm immunity because it would protect against common ghoul/vampire attacks. Death immunity is thematic though.

At first I was thinking of simply adding the spells to the spell book. If I were to do that, I'd like to take the animal/plant domain spells out as a disadvantage--exchanging magic over the living for magic over the undead. If opcode 172 worked more smoothly, I'd do it that way. Unfortunately, even though I can get it to remove spells from the spellbook, there's an instant at level-up where the removed spells are accessible. Not optimal.

But maybe I should give that up and merely add the spells against undead. If I were to do that, I might add Minor Restoration and Repulse Undead too.

Thoughts?
    The big hangup right now is limiting the racial enemy choice. I'd like to follow @subtledoctor's advice above and (1) edit HATERACE.2DA down to one inconsequential race and (2) set up an innate ability that will the ranger and each kit make the choice in-game. My problems:

(1) I don't know how to apply new strings to HATERACE.2DA

(2) I have no idea how to set up the special ability. I've tried looking at the feat system of Might & Guile, and I can't quite follow how it's done.

Help? Help!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited January 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Thanks a lot, @subtledoctor. Even if I don't end up using this, I'm sure looking at it will teach me a lot.