Skip to content

Help me pick my next character!

GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
Here's where I stand.

Saga Completions
* Dwarven Defender
* Dwarven Fighter/Thief
* Elven Fighter/Mage (sorta...bug caused me to miss the final fight)
* Monk
* Inquisitor (dual wielding)
* Human Shadow Dancer / Fighter

Games in SoA
* Elven Fighter/Mage (because the last one couldn't be completed)

Games in ToB
* Evil Half-Elf Blade
* Cavalier (Carsomyr)

Saves waiting for SoD
* Dwarven Defender (love 'em)
* Dwarven Fighter/Cleric
* Elven Archer
* Final save for the SoA Elven Fighter/Mage

I've got an itch to do a new playthrough. Maybe do another full writeup of it. But I can't think of what Charname to make.

I suppose that if I write it up, the story is the most important. But mechanically, it'd need to be something different. Anyone have any ideas to inspire me for a new run? An idea on Charname and who he is/what he is like? Maybe someone can convince me to try some kind of druid? (I usually hate playing druids, because in BG1 the wildlife constantly tries to kill you. And it makes me feel like the worst druid in Faerun).

Current Ideas:

Mage dual to Fighter (but what level?)
Fighter dual to Druid (when the wildlife stops being so murderous?)
Sorceror
Monk near-solo RP (only take NPCs when it makes sense story wise, then leave them. Try to take Sarevok and crew alone. I actually have a save with a monk who has Str18 Dex18 Con16 Int10 Wis10 Cha18 who has just left Candlekeep for this one)

Any other ideas for a Charname?

Comments

• cbones9889cbones9889 Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 41
    Grum I have never completed a complete run with a monk but my first game I was able to beat SA and TOB was with a monk. Still have a special place in my heart for monk Charname.

As such my vote would be for Fighter dual to druid. Focus on staff. As the saga progresses she will change from the naive girl leaving Candlekeep. Who comes into her power as using the power of nature to put an end to the destruct her siblings are forcing on the Sword Coast.

21 wisdom, Ring of Holiness, and the druid staff would grant you many extra spells per day.

As a added twist you could stick with only companions that are on the neutral spectrum using them to help you maintain the balance.
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    That could work. Start as a berserker maybe. That pent up Bhaal Blood. Maybe adventure with Jaheira. Get introduced to the ways of the Druid. Use that to control the rage...I could see it working. Will be a difficult roll to make for those stats though...
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    Not a fighter (based on the playthroughs you have outlined).
    Harder said than done though if that's what you enjoy.

One I've been thinking about for a playthrough is thief (swashbuckler) to mage.
    Charname rejects the confines of Candlekeep, won't study ect., hangs out with Imoen, as a teenager goes through the angsty "I hate you" stage.
    Only when they get away and Gorion is killed they come to realise why Gorion was trying so hard to teach them and that magic is pretty damn cool and might just keep them alive.
  • JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028
    Instead of a Dual Fighter->Druid, how about a Half-elf Fighter/Druid? This way, once your druid levels start reaching the absolutely bizarre experience requirements, you can at least have something continue to improve and fall back upon.

The shaman class is relatively new and fresh, consider giving that a try.

Of course, I'd be remiss in not suggesting my favorite multiclass in the series, a Gnome Cleric/Thief. Pretty much allows you to form whatever party you so desire.
  • billbiscobillbisco Member Posts: 361
    Do a Mage (or flavor of your choice) 2 Dual Fighter.

Play the game as a regular fighter who has access to the best magical items. Have excellent April and weapons and still use wands of fireball, monster summoning,

OR do a Cleric dual mage or a Priest of Helm dual thief.

Or do a Cleric 2 Dual Fighter
    OR do an Assassin 2 Dual Fighter and enjoy you Poison weapon throughout your career
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    Can you go Berserk while shapechanged?

If so, go Fighter -> Druid
  • OrlonKronsteenOrlonKronsteen Member Posts: 905
    Try a shapeshifter kit. Great flavour and RP potential. You feel the constant battle with nature is irreconcilable with the traditional druid? The shapeshifter can be RP'd as a character who is cursed with lycanthropy (part of the Bhaal heritage?) and an innate ability to channel the power of nature - not necessarily as a devoted defender or worshiper of nature. Pure druids are strong casters and get cool weapons. You can throw darts or daggers and melee in werewolf form. Damn, now I'm talking myself into a new playthrough...
    Huh... mechanically how would a greater werewolf turned fighter play?
  • OrlonKronsteenOrlonKronsteen Member Posts: 905
    That's a good question. I've never tried it. It would kind of be a pain because you don't get greater ww form until 13th level, meaning there'd be a lot of downtime waiting to get your druid abilities back. On the other hand, if fighter thaco is added to the greater ww you'd have a pretty mean melee machine, grand mastery in a ranged weapon and a nice little pool of spells, including the classic 5th level spells. Hmm... there might be a thread for this somewhere...
    Thank you all for the advice. I think I found my next Charname.

Quarterstaff master in the making. Will leave scimitars for Jaheira. And come SoA, will have a party consisting of himself, Jaheira, Wilson, Cernd, Imoen and Minsc. Tempted to replace

Might replace Cernd with Valgyar...leave Cernd to raise his son (and defend my grove). We'll se.

Anyways, thanks again!
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @Grum, on your druid feeling guilty about having to kill wild animals who attack, don't. People sometimes have this misconception that nature is warm and fuzzy, filled with pretty flowers and love. That's one side of it, but the other side is "nature red in tooth and claw", "survival of the fittest", "dog eat dog". The wise druid understands this, and that's "the Balance of Nature" that druids work so hard to protect.

The sick and the weak animals must be culled out, because that's Nature's way. Each child of Nature has the right to hunt for food (and clothing in the case of humanoids), as long as there is no wasteful killing, and each child of Nature has the right to try to defend itself from becoming the food.

A druid might defend a group of hunters if they were taking kills off of an overpopulation of a certain species. On the other hand, if they were trophy hunting an endangered population, the druid might kill the hunters. That's where the legendary idea of druids changing sides in unexpected ways comes from, and their neutrality. The Balance trumps everything else.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Grum said:

I'm arriving at the party too late to offer suggestions, since it seems you've already made your choice.

However, you didn't say what you're planning to do with this guy. From the prior discussion, I'm guessing this Berserker is intended to dual to Druid later, yes?

If so, I've got one of these at the waiting-for-SoD stage. (As you also appear to have done, I built up a backlog of characters who reached end-BG1ee, and waited there for SoD to be released, and I haven't yet had time to run all of them through SoD and BG2ee.) I dualled at Berserker 7 to complete the dual within BG1ee (ending at Druid 9), and (as you're doing) I went the Quarterstaff route. Very effective leading from the front for end-BG1ee, and I expect him to stay at the front throughout SoD, but then in BG2ee he'll drop back to second row (and concentrate increasingly on casting) as his warrior effectiveness falls behind the curve. I'm giving him (Throwing) Daggers for range and Spears as an alternate melee weapon, but from mid-SoA onwards he'll be mostly a caster (and in particular, a Summoner).

I see that you're planning for a very strongly Nature-focused party for BG2ee. My own plan is a more orthodox balanced party, but your theme looks like RP fun. Like yourself, I'd be very tempted to replace Cernd - Cernd is much better than many inexperienced players give him credit for being, but nevertheless his late-game role would redundantly duplicate your protagonist ... however, I'd be more inclined to replace him with Aerie rather than Valygar - or drop Minsc as well, in order to have both Aerie and Valygar.

I don't know whether you've previously taken Wilson through to the end-game. In case you haven't, tip: the key to keeping him alive is the Spirit Armor spell. (That's one reason why you really want a second arcane caster such as Aerie, to stack spare Spirit Armors for re-buffing when Wilson gets Dispelled, else he'll die quickly in late-game battles.)

Grum said:

I'm arriving at the party too late to offer suggestions, since it seems you've already made your choice.

However, you didn't say what you're planning to do with this guy. From the prior discussion, I'm guessing this Berserker is intended to dual to Druid later, yes?

If so, I've got one of these at the waiting-for-SoD stage. (As you also appear to have done, I built up a backlog of characters who reached end-BG1ee, and waited there for SoD to be released, and I haven't yet had time to run all of them through SoD and BG2ee.) I dualled at Berserker 7 to complete the dual within BG1ee (ending at Druid 9), and (as you're doing) I went the Quarterstaff route. Very effective leading from the front for end-BG1ee, and I expect him to stay at the front throughout SoD, but then in BG2ee he'll drop back to second row (and concentrate increasingly on casting) as his warrior effectiveness falls behind the curve. I'm giving him (Throwing) Daggers for range and Spears as an alternate melee weapon, but from mid-SoA onwards he'll be mostly a caster (and in particular, a Summoner).

I see that you're planning for a very strongly Nature-focused party for BG2ee. My own plan is a more orthodox balanced party, but your theme looks like RP fun. Like yourself, I'd be very tempted to replace Cernd - Cernd is much better than many inexperienced players give him credit for being, but nevertheless his late-game role would redundantly duplicate your protagonist ... however, I'd be more inclined to replace him with Aerie rather than Valygar - or drop Minsc as well, in order to have both Aerie and Valygar.

I don't know whether you've previously taken Wilson through to the end-game. In case you haven't, tip: the key to keeping him alive is the Spirit Armor spell. (That's one reason why you really want a second arcane caster such as Aerie, to stack spare Spirit Armors for re-buffing when Wilson gets Dispelled, else he'll die quickly in late-game battles.)
    Great advice. Thank you, that'll be really useful for keeping him alive.

Though what you now made me think of is to have no rangers or Druids in my party. But to instead place them around Amn as NPC protectors. Leave Cernd in the grove to protect it. Have Valgyr in the Umar Hills as their Ranger protector. Minsc goes in the Windspear Hills to protect the newly instated lord clear his reclaimed lands. Jaheira goes with Nalia to fix the damage caused by wild magic in that forest.

Basically leave high level Rangers and Druids around Amn in key places. Fix the damage caused to nature and protect those living there. Be his eyes and ears as the new High Druid.

Then I'll keep Wilson as being the Druid's companion. Which fits really well. But for the rest of the party? I suppose Aerie, as you pointed out. Imoen. That makes four...would need to fill out with 2 more.

Maybe Anomen? And...

Fighter-Druid (front line)
    Fighter-Cleric (front line)
    Bear (flanker)
    Mage/Cleric (pew pew)
    Thief-Mage (pew-pew)

6th slot sits empty. Let's him pick up and drop NPCs. Could even keep it open through all of SoA, and pick up Sarevok at ToB.