Skip to content

Cannot Play Baldur's Gate II Enhance Edition from Steam

allichallich Member Posts: 2
Hi,
I need help. I installed the game from Steam, but it keeps crashing on startup.
The Game is Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition.
Operating System: Windows 7
CPU:2.6 Ghz
Ram:4 GB
attached is the last two dump files.
Thank you,
Allich

Comments

• Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,870
    Hi
    Could you attach a directx diagnostic please.
    Windows/R to open a run prompt, type dxdiag and click ok. Wait for it to complete, click save all information and attach here.

This will help determine potential causes such as not having directX 9.0c installed (can install alongside later versions).

Thanks
    JuliusBorisovlolien
  • allichallich Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2017
    Hi,
    Here is the dxdiag file. Btw- I did download the files from the link above and installed it.
    Thanks for the help.
    Allich
    Your graphics driver is shown as being several years old. A manual search indicates drivers from 2016 may be available, but best to use the tool here to check for updated drivers.
    lolienelminster
  • aaronhowellaaronhowell Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 6
    I am having the same issue on Mac. I was playing yesterday, but today it is crashing. On multiple computers having the same issue. Here are my specs and the crash report:

IMAC
    27-inch, Late 2013
    Processor 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5
    Memory 24 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GT 755M 1024 MB

Here is the crash error message form Apple:

Process: BaldursGateIIEnhancedEdition [2468]
    Path: /Users/USER/Library/Application Support/Steam/*/BaldursGateIIEnhancedEdition.app/Contents/MacOS/BaldursGateIIEnhancedEdition
    Identifier: com.beamdog.baldursgateIIenhancededition
    Version: 2.3.67.3 (2036703)
    Code Type: X86-64 (Native)
    Parent Process: launchd [147]
    Responsible: BaldursGateIIEnhancedEdition [2468]
    User ID: 501

Date/Time: 2017-01-20 19:17:24.604 -0800
    OS Version: Mac OS X 10.9.5 (13F1911)
    Report Version: 11
    Anonymous UUID: 68678355-9388-4A9D-8BFA-E734F84FE8C0

Crashed Thread: 0 MainThrd Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type: EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)
    Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000
    Application Specific Information:

Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'NSInvalidArgumentException', reason: '-[SDLView hooked_setWantsBestResolutionOpenGLSurface:]: unrecognized selector sent to instance 0x618001530f40'
    abort() called
    terminating with uncaught exception of type NSException
    edited January 2017
    @aaronhowell there should be a game folder in your documents folder. Within that there is a baldur.ini and/or baldur.lua depending which store you purchased the game from. Rename, move or delete that file and relaunch the game to see if that makes any difference. Or both files if each are there.
    Thanks
  • nerdcore9nerdcore9 Member Posts: 7
    edited January 2017
    Not OP, but having same issue on Mac, with a similar error message @Gate70. I moved both the .ini and .lua files. Still does not launch from steam. Sorry to hijack @arronhowell. Thanks for all help.
    Tried deleting the file no luck. Any help is appreciated.
    AH
    So I narrowed down the problem. I tried opening the game in MAC OSX 10.10 operating system Yosemite and it worked. I think it is a problem with it running in OSX 10.9 Mavericks. If you all could fix it that would be great.
    Aaron
    So from another forum post it is looking like it is a problem coming from a Steam update. Here is a reply from a different posting (below in quotes) - not sure if the solution below works.

"It looks like it's a problem that affects other games as well (including Prison Architect)

http://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/2/143388132204079990/

My suggestion would be to find the folder the game is installed in and then cut and paste it somewhere else on your computer. Then run the game."

It also seems to be affecting all Mac operating systems from 10.9 Mavericks and down. I did a temp solution - backed up my computer with Time Machine, partitioned my hard drive, and installed OS X 10.10 on one partition, and then restored the time machine backup to the other. Not ideal but I am up and going:
    elminster