Skip to content

New to the game and a bit overwhelmed

2»

Comments

• GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356

Right now things are starting to look quite good. Branwen is in the party, more and more party members are getting their third level and fights are becoming really easy - partly because of suggestions from you guys and a few small changes in tactics. Also I got a magic two handed sword from a quest, sadly it was cursed.

Ah, so you've already been to find Brage, then ... actually some people do use that sword in spite of it being cursed, but I don't and I recommend not doing so, because the side-effects are a real nuisance.

I feel ready for the mines now where the plan is to exchange Neera for Xan whenever I meet him.

Yes, now that they're mostly level 3, they shouldn't be so easy for your enemies to kill, so it's time to clean out the Mine. Even so, be careful, it can be dangerous - not at first, but more so (of course!) as you get deeper in. Advance cautiously rather than rushing headlong.

And yes, Xan is better than Neera for getting the hang of how to use magic without mishap. But do use Neera in a later run, when you've got more feel for how it all works, because she's good fun and turns out to have an interesting story.

(I encountered that half-orc again when I was ambushed on the way to the mines. He seemed interesting but I will not use him this playthrough. Next time I guess)

Yes, Dorn Il-Khan. He's a really strong warrior and well worth trying out ... but he's an Evil bastard, more suitable for a later run with a different party. Better to go with the grain and stick to playing Good for your first attempt or two. (But do try an Evil run later, it's an interestingly different experience.)
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,318

Grond0 said:

... you really only need one good tank to take the lead and provide a focus for all enemy attacks ...

That's true, but I don't recommend it to new players, and even as an experienced player I don't usually do it that way. It's easier and safer to have two characters who can stand up in close combat.
    In case this is confusing I'll clarify that what I meant is that it's best to give the best defensive equipment to just one character, who will normally provide a focus for enemy attacks. I agree that Jaheira is the best of your party to perform this function - particularly if you are using a 2-handed sword. If you went with axe and shield there's an argument for the PC doing this, but the problem there is if the PC dies everyone dies :). The fact that one character is your main tank doesn't mean that no-one else will perform this role. That will occur quite often, e.g. if the main tank is badly wounded and retreats or if more enemies appear from a different direction. That shouldn't be a problem for your party though as several of your characters are well-suited for this role.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited January 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • PentiumDPentiumD Member Posts: 62
    edited January 2017
    Kagain - Best DPS imo pre-dorn give him gloves of dex, Ankheg Plate Mail and two-weapon style and you have a heavy hitter dp/tanker.

I play a merc type party NE party :smiley:

Viconia i never use her as a tank her heal spells are far better, BG2 is a different story.
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    As others have said, your character's stats look fine, your party looks fine, and you seem to be doing fine. Baldur's Gate is based on Advanced Dungeons and Dragons version 2 and, therefore, can be brutal to low-level characters. (In a paper and pencil game years ago, ... well, anyway.) Even the most experienced player here will have "oh bugger" moments where something goes sideways, an opponent gets a lucky shot, etc. So save your game, and take the same approach to saves that Chicago does to voting: do it early, do it often.

Don't worry about lack of power for mages. They are weak early and get strong later.

Mostly, have fun! It's okay to fail, particularly if you save a lot. (You did save, right?) Don't worry too much about making things ideal. We all have different styles and tastes, so what's best for me isn't necessarily best for you.
  • StormvesselStormvessel Member Posts: 654
    edited January 2017

A great choice is Viconia for the second tank ... one of the best tanks in the game if you know what you're doing.

One of my favourite BG1ee moments was when Viconia beat Aec'Letec to a pulp single-handedly (while the others were busy slaughtering his minions) ... so yes, she can indeed be a good tank if you know what you're doing.

The latter is the key, though. I do not recommend trying to use Viconia as a tank in one's first run, even though I know it can work well for an experienced player. In a first run, a player might well never even find the special equipment which is vital for Viconia to go tanking effectively (and anyway that's quite a lot further into the game than @OldGoldDigger has so far reached).

To start with, just use each character in a fairly natural and obvious way, and they'll work fine. After completing the game once or twice, then is the time to start exploring some of the less-obvious possibilities ... some of which will work well, and some of which will not, and finding out what can work is part of the fun.
    My current party is pretty much all magic and my elven fighter/mage is the only real tank - and he's an excellent, excellent tank (maybe the best tank I've ever had). So you're right - many possibilities exist, many not obvious (but very effective nonetheless).