Skip to content

Circus Tent on Waukeen's Promenade

MirandelMirandel Member Posts: 526
I know what section is missing on the forums - the one explaining lore and story behind quests. Though, we have a wikipedia.

Anyway, about the Circus and associated quests. Wikia says:

Kalah himself took the appearance of an Ogre Mage and killed most of the spectators and personnel in revenge for laughing at him, leaving only few alive:

Aerie, who was turned into an ogre
Hannah, who was turned into a giant spider
Quayle, who was turned into a mustard jelly

Am I truly to understand that Kalah managed to kill every person belonged to that Circus - every administrator, performer, worker, and everyone in the audience (animals were spared I guess, since they are still outside?) - and yet not a single Cowled Wizard appeared to do something about it? Actually, I an more interested about survivors - so, the circus is no more, since the only one left is Quayle (and probably Aerie, if CHARNAME did not kill her or took to the adventure)?
Post edited by Mirandel on

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Yup, as long as you cast magic under a roof, they don't care. https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/29315/worst-law-enforcement-ever
  • MirandelMirandel Member Posts: 526
    edited January 2017
    ThacoBell said:

Yup, as long as you cast magic under a roof, they don't care. https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/29315/worst-law-enforcement-ever

Thank you so much for the link! Great post! But I made a ninja-edit to my OP. So, I understand it right, no more circus in Athkatla?
  • NightingaleNightingale Member Posts: 61
    Yeah, that's one of those strange things that doesn't quite make sense in the game. The Cowled Wizards don't seem to take note of your use of magic unless you are actually using it on the streets of Athkatla. That lore entry makes even less sense, given the fact that more circus personnel magically show up after killing Kalah.

To be fair however, Kalah was a clown mage, meaning he was likely able to use magic legally while in the circus. What's more, it's not as if the Wizards weren't contacted. The guard who hails you before entering the tent makes a point of noting that he's waiting for a representative from the Cowled Wizards to investigate. It's also true that the magic used to commit all of these acts was illusory in nature, which might explain why the circus workers suddenly came back. Perhaps he didn't actually kill as many people as he claimed. He simply believed in the illusion that he did.

And if you consider the end of that quest according to the Unfinished Business mod to be canon (not saying you should, but it does make a bit more sense as to why it took so long for the Wizards to take notice of the event)...

It turns out that Kalah only gained the ability to do all of those things through the use of a genie to grant him a wish. This explains why Aerie is shocked by his sudden increase in magical power and might also explain why the events at the circus didn't immediately come up on the Wizards radar.

But honestly, none of these excuses are even necessary. As @ThacoBell mentioned, the Cowled Wizards are pretty damn incompetent when it comes to enforcing their magic ban... Not to mention corrupt.
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    I dunno, the CW ruling makes sense to me.

What happens indoors, stays indoors.

At any rate I will support their stance as having to deal with no magic "under cover" as well sounds like a right PITA.
  • NightingaleNightingale Member Posts: 61
    @UnderstandMouseMagic Oh, I wholeheartedly agree. If all I have to do to prep for the Harper Hold Battle is step into the Sea's Bounty before buffing up, I find that highly preferable to being harassed by nosy, hypocritical wizards every hour of the day.

Of course, they could also just mind their own damn business and leave me alone altogether, but beggars can't be choosers...