Skip to content

Start of Darkness

Good Day!

After a lengthy break from this game I have - finally- once again time to make a playthrough.

This time I wanted to start as a naive, heroic young adventurer who still hopes he can be like his (foster) father.
Over time he will become more cynical (neutralish) and later mostly driven by his vices (evil).

But here comes by problem. Where should his start of darkness begin?
I still want him to be guided by Jaheira and Khalid and start the Nashkell mines with them, but Mularay is not really impressive enough to make turn CHARNAME into a cynic.
So, I would welcome advise here. =)

Oh, and my character started as a Fighter who will later turn into a druid (RP idea is that Faldorn converts him) and I think I will make him into a Shapeshifter after a certain Island (it is just so fitting..)

I look forward to your advice & Ideas! =)

Comments

• former_customerformer_customer Member Posts: 111
    I'd say the tendency of people all along the Sword Coast to expect a hero to come along and risk his life to improve their quality of life is a good starting point. The "hero" starts feeling like a mercenary, regardless of his original intent. With so many people indifferent to the deadly risks constantly assumed by the hero, it doesn't take too long for him to start looking more at what he can gain for himself and less at what he can do for others.

Eventually, the hero realizes that the common folk are willing to exploit him, but they don't really like him. The sheep fear the sheepdog just as they fear the wolves, and the hero feels more and more isolated.

It's easy to see how the hero can descend it a selfish contempt for those he once tried to serve.
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156

Eventually, the hero realizes that the common folk are willing to exploit him, but they don't really like him. The sheep fear the sheepdog just as they fear the wolves, and the hero feels more and more isolated.

It's easy to see how the hero can descend it a selfish contempt for those he once tried to serve.

The events of SoD would fit that very well.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    edited January 2017
    yeah sod really has a huge heroes fall feel to it at the end.

charname is innocent at the start of bg1 defeats their brother gets a high as he/she is now the hero of baldurs gate. then the events of sod happens charname loses his/her title and is captured.

tortured by a mysterious mage, seeing your comrades are now dead. seeking revenge against the one who did this would cause you to start thinking about indulging in your heritage.

so really bg2 is a nice place for this type of character development imo.

• ArcanisArcanis Member Posts: 377
    Mhm.. True, SoD would make for a great start, especially if you consider that the ...place where the last battle is fought *has* a courrpting air. Ok, I'm convinced, he will begin his fall during SoD and will be dark once he meets Imoen again in BG2. Thank you so far!

But I still like him to lose some of his innocence and heroism during BG1 (I don't want to keep Jaheira and Khalid, but Gorion told him to go to them, I need an excuse to get rid of them =P)
    Mabye during the Bandit Camp arc? Glimpsing the scale of the dark conspiracy could make him think that helping every random stranger maybe a noble thing, but not enough and thus he starts to become more neutral? Arg, I'm unsure @_@
  • KuronaKurona Member Posts: 881
    Yep SoD is a great way to justify a previously good-aligned Charname losing their idealism and start drifting towards evil, or at least neutral. The speed with which the people of the Sword Coast switch from adoring the "Hero of Baldur's Gate" to "burn the evil Bhaalspawn" is frankly disgusting.
  • ArcanisArcanis Member Posts: 377
    Kurona said:

Yep SoD is a great way to justify a previously good-aligned Charname losing their idealism and start drifting towards evil, or at least neutral. The speed with which the people of the Sword Coast switch from adoring the "Hero of Baldur's Gate" to "burn the evil Bhaalspawn" is frankly disgusting.

And depressingly realistic... This is actually mentioned pretty often by roman historians,
    that "the masses" glorify an emperor only to also celebrate the end of his reign.. (though you have to remember that the authors are *very* biased)

At least the adventure "Murder in Baldur's Gate" shows that they come around to like him again.
    (Only to go right back to remind everybody that CHARNAMES live suck =P)