Skip to content

Which Class/Kit For First Playthrough?

2»

Comments

• reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808

But I like axes too, I especially always give my dwarves and gnomes axes (if they can wield them)

Agree to the 10th power! Hammers or axes for Dwarves. It is written, therefore it must be so. At least in my CHARNAME's case...

Too bad there isn't a great axe and/or great hammer!

• Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729

But I like axes too, I especially always give my dwarves and gnomes axes (if they can wield them)

Agree to the 10th power! Hammers or axes for Dwarves. It is written, therefore it must be so. At least in my CHARNAME's case...

In BG2 Azuredge is an awesome throwing axe for mowing down undead, but you have to be Good to use it (I see this as a negative), Frostreaver is also good and the Axe of the Unyielding is great, but I think you get it very late. But compared to other melee weapons, its true the available weapons aren't as good

edited November 2012
    For fun I just rolled-up a Str 19 half-orc (evil, obviously) Cleric/Thief for a test run in BGT that could actually be a surprisingly awesome (if restricted) build to play. I have 50 points in detect traps, but put none into Open Locks, as have an equivalent Open Locks skill of 50 from my strength and could boost this later. As a Cleric/Thief can search for traps with Sanctuary on and remain hidden. Backstabs with 19 strength will be nasty (though the Strength damage modifier isn't mutliplied), even better with Draw Upon (un)Holy Might, though it'll take a while to build-up a decent hide in shadows/move silently proficiency (I suppose I could have started with no points in find traps and focused on being stealthy first, but would need another thief then). Cleric also means can use a helmet, and a shield and heavy armour when necessary.

Proficiencies taken were staves (for backstabbing) and slings, next would be two-handed fighting, then flails (can't backstab with them, but good otherwise, when not stealthed), then hammers (or clubs, maybe)

Levelling will still be quite quick, as both thieves and clerics need relatively little XP.

Might take Azhug out for a trial...

• MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    Oh I thought only Gnomes could be Cleric / Thiefs?

That sounds nice to try on a Horc, one other thing that a cleric / thief multi is awesome for in a custom group is to nanny sit your party while your swashbuckler is dual classing, and while you are building up 9 fighter or ranger levels for your actual cleric or druid to dual from.
  • ARKdeEREHARKdeEREH Member Posts: 531
    I'd recommend a Fighter/Mage. I have always preferred them over other classes. It makes for a very versatile character that can hold their own in most situations and seems the most useful way to go if you don't want a cleric. I've personally never liked thieves much, so since I don't really use them I can't comment about which variation of thief would best suit you.

One thing to keep in mind, though, is that if you use a multi-class character their XP will be split between how many class types they have, so a Fighter/Mage will have the XP divided up between two classes, whereas a single class character would level up much faster.

Also, if you're planning on importing your character into BG2 and/or re-using your PC on a subsequent BG1 playthrough, you may find it annoying to have to re-learn all your spells, which is what you'll have to do if your PC isn't a spellcaster, since you aren't supposed to bring your NPCs with you.
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    ARKdeEREH said:

I'd recommend a Fighter/Mage. I have always preferred them over other classes. It makes for a very versatile character that can hold their own in most situations and seems the most useful way to go if you don't want a cleric. I've personally never liked thieves much, so since I don't really use them I can't comment about which variation of thief would best suit you.

I agree on your assessment of the F/M class but would advise against it for a first time player. It is tougher to manage at low levels due to AC, lower HP and slower leveling.
    Also, if you're planning on importing your character into BG2 and/or re-using your PC on a subsequent BG1 playthrough, you may find it annoying to have to re-learn all your spells, which is what you'll have to do if your PC isn't a spellcaster, since you aren't supposed to bring your NPCs with you.
    Hopefully that won't be an issue for the enhanced edition. Baldur's Gate Trilogy resolves that and other continuity issues and is something to consider if you are playing the existing software. (@Quartz will let you know it isn't worth it due to his preference for BG1 > BG2, but it is the only way I play anymore).
    edited November 2012
    Mungri said:

Oh I thought only Gnomes could be Cleric / Thiefs?

Yes, I only realised recently that Orcs can too, though Gnomes do get the shorty save bonuses and racial thief bonuses, so are perhaps better in the longer term, but not as cool! :-)
    I'm probably still going to play an evil elf F/M for my first BGEE run-through, but might do a parallel run as a Cleric/Thief or a shorty or Orc Cleric of Talos...
  • mjsmjs Member Posts: 742

In BG2 Azuredge is an awesome throwing axe for mowing down undead, but you have to be Good to use it (I see this as a negative), Frostreaver is also good and the Axe of the Unyielding is great, but I think you get it very late. But compared to other melee weapons, its true the available weapons aren't as good

i think here great=large (ie two-handed) rather than great=awesome (ie Azuredge)

because there are LOADS of great axes in BG2

@mjg - well there aren't *any* two-handed axes in BG2, are there?
    ... Ok, I dont even know how this happened, I only just stumbled across a screenshot folder inside my BG directory and this was inside it:

-15 AC!
  • KirkorKirkor Member Posts: 700
    I will play an Thief or Assassing class. I've not decided on NPCs though.
    Maybe I will try one man challange? :)
    One man isnt really a challenge, its easier because you dont need to nanny sit a full party and you get all your XP on one character.

Even in full party groups, in BG2 I always found myself leaving everyone behind a bit but my mages who just steamrolled everything.
  • alestusalestus Member Posts: 13
    if i remember correctly i always played a ranger. planning on playing with a paladin this time round
  • drjekldrjekl Member Posts: 35
    Mungri said:

I'd recommend a fighter, ranger or paladin for your first playthough.

For kits Berserker, Archer or Inquisitor are all strong, also the Kensai kit can deal the most damage and has the strongest dual class options, but is difficult to play as they cant wear armor so I wouldnt try Kensai until after you are familiar with the game.

If going for a Kensai, Kensai / Mage or Kensai / Thief are incredibly powerful. For a Berserker, dualing to a druid is usually much more common, but needs 15 str, 17 wis, 17 cha.

Swashbuckler is also great for a Thief. Backstabbing can be very annoying to focus on, and it isnt really too important so just try out the Swashbuckler first. Make a human one with 18 str, 18 dex, 16 con, and 17 int minimums to open up the uberlicious Swashbuckler / Mage dual class option.

Berserker, dualing to a druid? How do you set up that build? Dual weilding Scimatars seems a good start. I was thinking of going Berserker/Mage or Berserker/Thief? Of the 3 Berserker dual builds which would you reccommend and why? The only real reason I was thinking Berserker/Thief was for UAI, I love the idea of using any equipment I want, but I dont think its that pratical to base a build on this.

Thanks
  • MillardkillmooreMillardkillmoore Member Posts: 150
    Try a Half-Orc Barbarian. 19 strength an Con, plus the ability to boost them by 4 and gain a list of immunities means you are an unstoppable juggernaut in melee from the very beginning of BG1 all the way to the end of BG2.

It's fun, it's effective without being overpowered like the F/M, and it avoids frustration of early levels in BG1 where one hit could easily kill you.

Now one hit from you will easily kill most enemies at low levels!
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited November 2012
    You've already got some great suggestions here.

So let's see....

you
    healer (Jaheira, Branwen, or Viconia)
    Dorn
    Rasaad
    Neera
    _____

It sounds like you may be inclined towards melee (?). If so, that would make sense with the three new NPCs plus a healer. I know for a party like that I would want at least one other strong tank alongside Dorn. So you could add either Kagain, Minsc, or Shar-Teel. Or your character can be the tank. Or both. Either your PC or the sixth slot is going to need Thief skills, though. (I guess you could also dual Shar-Teel to Thief, but myself I would only do that if I had another Thief.)

From a 'roleplaying' vantage I don't see how a paladin takes Dorn, i.e., a Blackguard, into the party...

Otherwise:

A multi-class Cleric-Thief is one of my faves, especially a half-orc backwhacking with a stave.

A multi Fighter-Thief is also extremely powerful and satisfying to play.

As mentioned, a Berserker is an excellent choice among the Fighter kits.

For a ranger kit, since the bow is so powerful in BG1 the Archer figures to be devastating. It may end up being overpowered. But I haven't read up yet in the new manual whether they have made any adjustments to the Archer kit.

You could always go with a vanilla Fighter and focus on weapons specializations that seem particularly fun.
  • MikeMastersMikeMasters Member Posts: 141
    im thinking the following

Me (a fighter)
    Dorn
    Neera
    Rassad
    Xzar (Dual to cleric)
    Montaron (theif skills)

When I get into BG, replace Xzar and Montaron both with Tiax and have an extra slot free for whoever (maybe Edwin?)