Skip to content

Fighter proficiency question?

Is fighters being able to achieve mastery (or grand, can't remember) in weapon proficiency worth playing one instead of a fighter/cleric or paladin?

Comments

• reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    If you like melee, then, yes. You become a killing machine, which is what I like! Similarly, the archer with Grand Mastery is a machine gun. Not saying it makes them the best class, but if you like fighters, it's a good way to go.

Think Sarevok - when you get him, he's a meat grinder. The reason for that is the Grand Mastery. By that point in the game, Minsc's lack of fighter proficiency points really limits him.
  • ginger_hammerginger_hammer Member Posts: 160
    edited November 2012
    See here for proficiency point distribution for classes: http://playithardcore.com/pihwiki/index.php?title=Baldur's_Gate:_Progression_Charts .
    As the engine is BG2, use the BG2 one at the bottom of the page. The top table shows how the fighter gets proficiency points through levels.
  • Royce1987Royce1987 Member Posts: 89
    Will BG:EE have the "tweaked" proficiency bonuses shown on the very last table?? Thanks to both of you for your help.
  • ginger_hammerginger_hammer Member Posts: 160
    I would say yes it will as the EE version is including all the best bits from mods including bug fixes. :-)
    @ginger_hammer - I'll take a look at home. I think fighters get a proficiency every 3rd level, which means I can really boost AC with single weapon style (or 2H style) prof points and wait a little for Grand Mastery. The hit/damage bonus is good, but I think a Kensai needs AC help early on and hitting isn't going to really be a limiting factor.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    If you plan ahead I would indeed recommend the 'true grandmastery' mod component of the BG2 tweak pack. Without that, grandmastery becomes largely useless when you transition to BG2. Since it's a tweak rather than a bugfix I'm not certain it will be included in vanilla EE - but you can just install the tweak pack if so.
    @Shin I thought they were looking at Grand Mastery again as part of BG:EE. Hard to tell for sure, as I get lost between what people are discussing and what is really happening to BG:EE. Sometimes, the forum posts look legit - as in 'happening' rather than 'good ideas'.
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    If you're a human and dual class, you can be a Fighter/Cleric AND have Grand Mastery.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    BGEE will have true Grand Mastery (and that table in the link is wrong).
    @reedmilfam I guess it could well end up being included too - the call on what will be in at release day will likely have to be made very soon though as time is running out, and I haven't seen any fresh updates regarding what components will be in.
    Ah, well that clears it up. It would really help with a comprehensive and updated list of stuff like that. And congratulations, @reedmilfam. 8)
    @Shin - It'll definitely be interesting at first. Lots of subtle changes that we'll spend a while getting used to. Still, looking forward to [gathering] my party before venturing forth.

Heck. CHARNAME is the party!
    What are the bonuses of "true grand mastery"??
    Proficiency Slot Table:
    1 slot: none
    2 slots: +1 to hit, +2 to damage, an extra half attack per round.
    3 slots: +3 to hit, +3 to damage, an extra half attack per round.
    4 slots: +3 to hit, +4 to damage, an extra half attack per round, -1 to Speed Factor.
    5 slots: +3 to hit, +5 to damage, one extra attack per round, -3 to Speed Factor.
    Thank you!
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    Shin said:

Ah, well that clears it up. It would really help with a comprehensive and updated list of stuff like that. And congratulations, @reedmilfam. 8)

Yes would be great to have a list of what tables are being used etc.

The updated tables should be in the manual.
    Manual? Did he say manual? I remembered that as a 'we'd like to make one' more than a 'we are making one'. *rubs hands with glee*
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    @Tanthalas are you sure that table from the link is wrong? I know that you are only supposed to receive +1 APR for GM, and I think that is what is stated in the manual (and what will be implemented in BGEE) but I think in the vanilla game you actually got the +3/2 that the table lists.

Not that this was a big deal, seeing as how you couldn't actually get GM in vanilla BG, as you need 9 levels of fighter to do so and I believe you capped out at 8.

Manual? Did he say manual? I remembered that as a 'we'd like to make one' more than a 'we are making one'. *rubs hands with glee*

Yes, an updated manual would be great

@TJ_Hooker - you get 4 proficiency points for 1st lvl fighter under BG2 rules - so you could be GM at level 3 if you so chose. That's the only reason I think it would matter in BG1. Anyway, fighters need all the help they can get later, so I'm all for it. Therefore, glad this is implemented in BG:EE

...24 days from now, I will Gather My Party Before Venturing Forth...
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    @reedmilfam
    In BG1 you're limited to 2 stars in any single proficiency at the character creation screen.

@TJ_Hooker - you get 4 proficiency points for 1st lvl fighter under BG2 rules - so you could be GM at level 3 if you so chose. That's the only reason I think it would matter in BG1. Anyway, fighters need all the help they can get later, so I'm all for it. Therefore, glad this is implemented in BG:EE

...24 days from now, I will Gather My Party Before Venturing Forth...

You can't put all your proficiency points into a single weapon type at character creation, you're limited to max of two. You can put as many as you want into fighting styles though.
    @TJ_Hooker - good data, thanks. But can you hold onto those stars until LvlUp? Not that I would.
    It doesn't allow you to progress past that point in the creation screen until you've assigned all the points.
    TJ_Hooker said:

@reedmilfam
    In BG1 you're limited to 2 stars in any single proficiency at the character creation screen.

I wonder if BGEE will implement that or BG2-style initial assignment?

• jolly_bbjolly_bb Member Posts: 122
    edited November 2012
    @Tanthalas considering True Grandmastery being implemented in BGEE, i hope you are also fixing dualled characters (fighter->something) thingy so that they can't put more pips then their second class allows. Anomen with 5 pips in a proficiency as currently ToB allows is nice, but pure cheese... And does not seem too much compliant to the rules.
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    I dont agree with that, I think that both dual and multiclass fighters should be allowed to reach grandmastery.
    @Mungri, @jolly_bb

jolly_bb has a point. Once you dual-class out of a Fighter you shouldn't be able to progress with Fighter stuff.