Skip to content

Fighter proficiency question?

2»

Comments

• MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    edited November 2012
    Oh right, I thought he meant no grandmastery in your fighter levels.

That makes more sense.

@Tanthalas Will swashbucklers gain an extra 1/2 attack per round from having 2 slots?
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    Personally I would echo the sentiment that either a Dual Class Fighter -> X be restricted to 2 pips when they regain their Fighter levels, or that a Multiclass Fighter/X be able to allocate pips as a single or dual class Fighter does.

Dual classing is already the munchkin way to get a level 38 mage with Fighter THAC0, HP and a Fighter Kit, they don't need to get proficiencies as well.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    I don't have a problem with that either - as long as already allocated pips are unaffected.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    @Mungri

They won't. Extra attacks per round from proficiencies are only for warrior classes.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    Tanthalas said:

@Mungri They won't. Extra attacks per round from proficiencies are only for warrior classes.

In fact, there is a forum topic that discusses this in detail.
  • jolly_bbjolly_bb Member Posts: 122
    @Mungri - once you dual you should not progress anymore in the first class.

Multi is different. They could reach GM later on (considering slower lvling)

• moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    Multis according to unmodded rules can only ever reach two pips in any weapon. So no GM for them. I hope this will be carried through to BG:EE as it is the only reason to ever play a straight up fighter dude.
    edited November 2012
    Or the reason to play a straight fighter is to reach level 40, have amazing thaco, and lots of fighter HLAs, while a multi fighter will only reach level 24.

Its easy to mod grandmastery for multiclass fighters into the game anyway, so it doesnt need to be changed.
    I personally never understood why multi-classed Fighters can't progress beyond Specialization. They're the only multi-class that gets nerfed this way.
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    Mungri said:

Or the reason to play a straight fighter is to reach level 40, have amazing thaco, and lots of fighter HLAs, while a multi fighter will only reach level 24.

Its easy to mod grandmastery for multiclass fighters into the game anyway, so it doesnt need to be changed.

I prefer the limit on multi-class fighters to be honest, otherwise there's less reason to single (or even dual) class, so less benefit to being a human
    @Oxford_Guy

Humans already have plenty of benefits:

- No other race can be any class in the game.
    - Dual-classing is generally superior to multi-classing.
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    Tanthalas said:

I personally never understood why multi-classed Fighters can't progress beyond Specialization. They're the only multi-class that gets nerfed this way.

Agreed, it's like saying that multiclass mages can never get spells above third level, or multiclass thieves can never apply more than 35 points into any thief skill.

But no, AD&D must have its racist game mechanics to ensure only the human-style of multiclassing is better than anyone else's.
    edited November 2012
    Hmm, well my thaco reason wasnt right, fighters reach 0 thaco at level 21 after which it stays at 0, so then all you get is better saves and HLAs.
    Tanthalas said:

@Oxford_Guy
    - Dual-classing is generally superior to multi-classing.

With a huge downside of recovering the inactive classes. 13 fighter levels take a long time to reacquire.
    But that's if you go to level 12 with a Fighter.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    @Mungri Actually fighter saves cap out even earlier (level 17 according to playithardcore tables).
    Probably, I only checked thaco progression while looking through the 2DA files.
    edited November 2012
    Tanthalas said:

But that's if you go to level 12 with a Fighter.

13. You get 1.5 attacks per round and max fighter hit die at level 9, which is the most popular level to dual, but also 2 attacks per round at level 13 which I like to have on my Kensai duals.

For clerics / druids I would dual at 9, for thieves / mage I like to dual at 13.