Skip to content

Think I'll try to model my party off of LotR

Need a Norwegian swordmaster, a dwarf who can help quest for the Holy Grail, and an elf pirate.

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    If your elf can't shoot two arrows at once he really is not legolas :p
  • emfleckemfleck Member Posts: 9
    True. Maybe I'll replace him with Haldir.
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    I tried that a couple of times, but could never come up with a LotR character that would pass for a Cleric. Or a Druid for that matter.
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    Elrond is kind of a cleric.
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    Kilivitz said:

I tried that a couple of times, but could never come up with a LotR character that would pass for a Cleric. Or a Druid for that matter.

You can survive the game without one if you want!
    Kilivitz said:

Well if you were strictly going by a religious healing figure I can't think of any from the books right now, but I guess a medical character would work as well. Suppose by that right Elrond works, very 'lay on hands' kinda guy.
  • PhilhelmPhilhelm Member Posts: 473
    AHF said:

Kilivitz said:

There was a nature wizard; Radagast if I recall correctly. Also, perhaps Beorn could be a Druid since he shapeshifts into a bear.

Also, how about an evil LOTR party? Suruman as a human mage, Gollum as a halfling thief, half-orcs as some of the orc characters, etc.

• DinoDino Member Posts: 291
    Philhelm said:

AHF said:

Kilivitz said:

There was a nature wizard; Radagast if I recall correctly. Also, perhaps Beorn could be a Druid since he shapeshifts into a bear.

Also, how about an evil LOTR party? Suruman as a human mage, Gollum as a halfling thief, half-orcs as some of the orc characters, etc.

Im having a ahrd time picturing Saruman and Gollum co-operating in a party-based context ^^
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    Philhelm said:

AHF said:

Kilivitz said:

How about that annoying guy Tom Bombadil?
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    elminster said:

BTW I know its fantasy, but firing two arrows at once is not possible IRL, I practice archery for fun (I have a nice Hoyt composite bow) and there's no way its possible, unless the arrows don't have flights (in which case you're not going hit a barn door). Its a fun concept, though :-)

The bow I shoot is 32Ib draw weight, which is plenty enough for me, I have huge respect for the English longbowmen of the middle ages, they were drawing bows of 100-150Ib draw weight FFS! Also, the had no sights (although all you need/are allowed on a compsite bow is a non-magnified sighting pin).

elminster said:

BTW I know its fantasy, but firing two arrows at once is not possible IRL, I practice archery for fun (I have a nice Hoyt composite bow) and there's no way its possible, unless the arrows don't have flights (in which case you're not going hit a barn door). Its a fun concept, though :-)

Elves can do anything. ;-)
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Aragorn - ranger
    Legolas - Elven fighter
    Gandalf - Fighter dualed to mage
    Frodo - Halfling fighter thief
    Arwen - Druid
    Gimli - Dwarven Fighter
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    No, legolas would be an Elven Archer, not a fighter.

You could also have Tom Bombadill as a bard.
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    AHF said:

I suppose you can, but is it worth the hassle? I've a really hard time with the game unless I've got each one of the main class types covered.

@Philhelm that's true, Beorn could work for a druid.

I'd also have Aragorn as a Ranger (can't imagine him as anything else given the class was pretty much modeled after his character), Legolas as an archer (with daggers as second proficiency), a Halfling Thief (well, duh) and Gimli as a Berserker.

That leaves one slot left for a Mage. Gandalf seems the obvious choice, but if not him, I'd have Arwen as a Fighter/Mage. Or maybe Gandalf, and Eowyn as a Fighter. I wouldn't be too keen on having a sausage fest for a party.

• PhilhelmPhilhelm Member Posts: 473
    ^ Not having Gandalf in the party would be sinful.
  • TetraploidTetraploid Member Posts: 252
    Clearly the answer is an entire party of halflings.
    Kilivitz said:

I'd also have Aragorn as a Ranger (can't imagine him as anything else given the class was pretty much modeled after his character), Legolas as an archer (with daggers as second proficiency), a Halfling Thief (well, duh) and Gimli as a Berserker.

I agree about Aragorn and Legolas, but am not sure that Gimli should be a berserker (though he'd be a strnger character)
    Kilivitz said:

That leaves one slot left for a Mage. Gandalf seems the obvious choice, but if not him, I'd have Arwen as a Fighter/Mage. Or maybe Gandalf, and Eowyn as a Fighter. I wouldn't be too keen on having a sausage fest for a party.

Gandalf as a Mage, but dueled reasonably early from a fighter (so he can use a sword, as he does sometimes in LoTR)

LOL! That would be funny, I have played whole parties as a mix of shorties (dwarves, gnomes and halflings) before, which was quite entertaining
  • KirkorKirkor Member Posts: 700

They're taking the Hobbits to Isengard!
    You could also do a party based on the "The Hobbit", though might be a little Dwarf-heavy... :-)
  • notkingnotking Member Posts: 134
    I love LotR
  • mjsmjs Member Posts: 742
    i did one based on a series of books called the Wheel of Time. I struggled to make a thief. It basically ran with a fighter/mage, wizard slayer, ranger, bard, cleric/mage and mage. those familiar with the series can probably figure out the characters

i geeked all over my screen when they set out from candle keep.
    Doing a party from some of the characters from Joe Abercrombie's books (The Blade Itself etc.: http://www.joeabercrombie.com/books/the-blade-itself/ ) would be quite entertaining, lots of characters with rather "grey" alignments... The books are brilliant BTW!
  • futhwofuthwo Member Posts: 12
    mjs said:

i did one based on a series of books called the Wheel of Time. I struggled to make a thief. It basically ran with a fighter/mage, wizard slayer, ranger, bard, cleric/mage and mage. those familiar with the series can probably figure out the characters

i geeked all over my screen when they set out from candle keep.

F/M = Rand
    WS = Mat?
    Ranger = Perrin
    Bard = Thom
    C/M = Moraine?
    Mage = can't figure out.....

• styggastygga Member Posts: 467
    mage = their female friend that became the aes sedai leader... Egwene I think?
    @futhwo all right until, except c/m was nynaeve and @stygga got the mage right.

if either of you are super familiar with the series you might remember juilin sandar, the thief-taker of Tear? if i was to run it again, i would have him as as bounty hunter and do another 5 characters from the series

or an evil party with padan fain as an assassin...
  • styggastygga Member Posts: 467
    Padan Fain is too powerful to model anyone after... they just wouldn't be able to accurately portray his "one slice with my knife and you die in seconds" ability.
  • MilochMiloch Member Posts: 863
    Mat would be a thief, or F/T. Perrin would have to be some sort of shapeshifter I think, though I suppose a ranger with a unique ability could work. Lan would be a paladin.

How about remaking chars in the original game to be a sort of warped LotR?

You: Frodo
    Gorion: Gandalf (ack! he wasn't supposed to die that early)
    Montaron: Sam Gamgee. For some reason he has turned to the Dark Side, because he's been hanging with
    Xzar: Saruman
    Khalid and Jaheira: Celeborn and Galadriel (she's obviously the boss in that relationship)
    Kagain: Gimli (driven a bit mad by a lust for gold)
    Kivan: Legolas

For Aragorn, the best match is probably Ajantis as a ranger, unless you want to think he's gone mad and bald, in which case Minsc would still be a stretch... But we could then make Dynaheir an elf and make her Arwen, and then Ajantis falls at some point and betrays you as Boromir... Et cetera.
  • futhwofuthwo Member Posts: 12
    Perrin would be a beasmaster more than a shapeshifter.

Your alternate LOTR party idea is brilliant :)
    stygga said:

Padan Fain is too powerful to model anyone after... they just wouldn't be able to accurately portray his "one slice with my knife and you die in seconds" ability.

cluaconsole ctrl+J ;)

or RP that he's lost his dagger

@miloch i considered mat as thief, but the wizard slayer kit with its high MR is made for mat. if i ran Lan it'd have to be a kensai, you need that guy on grand mastery!