Skip to content

Think I'll try to model my party off of LotR

13»

Comments

• MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    edited November 2012
    @Lemernis I have a poor memory for the books. It's certainly in the radio dramatisation, Boromir also exclaims "The Halfling!" at the council of Elrond, when Frodo steps forward as foretold in his dream.

From memory I think it was part of Tolkien's showing regional and cultural variation/evolution. The hobbits called themselves hobbits, men tended to call them halflings and I think in "the old tales" they were known as the periannath
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    I wonder if Tolkien's estate couldn't lay claim to that term (halfling), as perhaps it was slang for the actual "little people" at some point long ago in England? But in any event, the original D&D used hobbits, ents, and balrogs which had to be be replaced by other names (halflings, treants, balor-demons).
  • MilochMiloch Member Posts: 863
    Lemernis said:

I wonder if Tolkien's estate couldn't lay claim to that term (halfling)

No, they can't, as it's an old Scots word (from "hauflin"), nor can they lay claim to "orc" which occurs in Old English (two or three times in Beowulf) nor of course "goblin" which was the original term for the race used in The Hobbit.
  • eksterekster Member Posts: 234
    About Aragorn, the simplest solution is that he should be a ranger in BG1, and a paladin in BG2. :p
  • Aasimar069Aasimar069 Member Posts: 803
    ekster said:

About Aragorn, the simplest solution is that he should be a ranger in BG1, and a paladin in BG2. :p

That's what I have been doing since I have been playing BG :)