Skip to content

BG II EE crashes on OS X El Capitan after start-up sequence

Hey guys,

I've recently updated by Mac to El Capitan and now I'm having trouble with my BG II EE: I can start the game alright and it goes through the first dialogues with Irenicus and Imoen, but as soon as Imoen has released me from my cage, i.e. before I can actually move anywhere, the game crashes. I've already tried re-installing it, doesn't help at all. Is anyone else having this problem and/or knows how to fix it?

(Btw: BG I EE and BG SoD work just fine)

Comments

• tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    Interesting. IIRC, the game auto-saves at that point. I wonder if there is a file permission issue.
    allylion
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,870
    Could you try locating the Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition folder in your documents folder and rename it. Then create a new one.

Thanks
    allylion
  • allylionallylion Member Posts: 5
    OMG, I can't believe I forgot about the autosave! You're right of course, it should happen at precisely that point and it never showed up in the saved games list. How I missed that is beyond me :D

So I checked the BG II folder... and funnily enough there wasn't one, only an alias. No idea how that got created or how the original got deleted, but creating a new folder obviously solves the issue. Thanks guys, you saved me from the misery of having to cope without my favourite game :)
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    Live ta serve, as Frank said to Dr Forrester. And if you need help on the *nix 'cut' command, let me know.
  • SaltGordonSaltGordon Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 3
    I'm having the save game bug too, can anyone please talk me through step by step how to do it. Really new to mac, and BG2EE and SOD folders are empty. Do I move the folder to documents and make a folder within called Save??
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited February 2017

I'm having the save game bug too, can anyone please talk me through step by step how to do it. Really new to mac, and BG2EE and SOD folders are empty. Do I move the folder to documents and make a folder within called Save??

1. Open your documents folder.
    2. Right-click on the "Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition" folder and select "Get Info"
    3. Under the "Name" section change the folders name to

OLD BG2

4. Right click in your Documents folder and create a new folder titled

Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition

5. Try starting Baldur's Gate 2 Enhanced Edition and attempt to save
    6. If it works then repeat these same steps for the Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition folder