Skip to content

Fight Simmeon without Dorn?

Heya, i'm on a heroic playthrough at the moment and my question is: Is it possible to fight Simmeon without Dorn?

Comments

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    nooope
  • SlayerOfAllSlayerOfAll Member Posts: 3
    Aww, really would like to the armor that drops during that fight, thanks have a nice day.
    to be honest the armor he drops is necessarily that great, he does drop a decent belt and a nice bastard sword, but the belt he drops isn't game changing and if you have no one skilled with a bastard sword then its no loss to anyone

even the ankheg armor is better than the armor that simmeon wears, infact non magical full plate is still the best armor in the game since you can wear items of protection with it as well, and in theory you can get infinite suits of full plate mail:

in durlags tower you will find/fight copies of durlag himself, although if he gets to low health he will morph into kiel, plus he is hard to hit, but if you can hit him with a wand of paralysation, and freeze him, then whack him all silly like, then its a free suit of full plate mail, usually I get about 5 or so suits from durlags tower when I go there, so full plate mail for everyone :)
    SirBatincebatoorQuartz
  • SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    wait till you reach bg2ee and you realize all those crazy new places are locked down lest you have dorn rasaad or neera in the party. What a shame.
    sarevok57Quartz
  • Toot83Toot83 Member Posts: 20
    sarevok57 said:

even the ankheg armor is better than the armor that simmeon wears, infact non magical full plate is still the best armor in the game since you can wear items of protection with it as well, and in theory you can get infinite suits of full plate mail:

Actually ankheg armor now allows to wear ring/amulet/cloak of protection with it. I don't know which update changed that, all I know that it wasn't always so.
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    edited January 2017
    sarevok57 said:

to be honest the armor he drops is necessarily that great, he does drop a decent belt and a nice bastard sword, but the belt he drops isn't game changing and if you have no one skilled with a bastard sword then its no loss to anyone

in durlags tower you will find/fight copies of durlag himself, although if he gets to low health he will morph into kiel, plus he is hard to hit, but if you can hit him with a wand of paralysation, and freeze him, then whack him all silly like, then its a free suit of full plate mail, usually I get about 5 or so suits from durlags tower when I go there, so full plate mail for everyone :)
    Yeah I remember doing that once, not sure if it's an exploit that should be fixed though^^
    It's also an infinite pool of decent xp.

Then again given the difficulty of getting through that dungeon the first time you do it, maybe it's fine as it is.
    Durlag dopple is arguably stronger than Sarevok though, this is more of an issue with the wand of paralyze (have wands ever done anything other than breaking the game lol?)
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Toot83 said:

sarevok57 said:

Actually ankheg armor now allows to wear ring/amulet/cloak of protection with it. I don't know which update changed that, all I know that it wasn't always so.
    Are you sure? I remember that always being the case.
    Not in old BG1 I think.
    Quartz
    ThacoBell said:

Toot83 said:

sarevok57 said:

in vanilla bg1 ( and vanilla bg2) you could not wear magical rings/cloaks or amulets with the ankheg armor,

there was a mod that did allow you to wear such items with the ankheg armor though

Toot83 said:

sarevok57 said:

yes that is true, but full plate mail has better armor modifiers than ankheg armor, hence the reason why full plate mail is still better
    SirBatinceQuartz
  • former_customerformer_customer Member Posts: 111
    sarevok57 said:

ThacoBell said:

Toot83 said:

sarevok57 said:

in vanilla bg1 ( and vanilla bg2) you could not wear magical rings/cloaks or amulets with the ankheg armor,

there was a mod that did allow you to wear such items with the ankheg armor though

Toot83 said:

sarevok57 said:

yes that is true, but full plate mail has better armor modifiers than ankheg armor, hence the reason why full plate mail is still better
    Also...green. Xp
    sarevok57ThacoBell
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    @sarevok57, the OP @slayerofall is probably talking about the elven chainmail which allow you to cast spells whilst wearing, which is the best for bards and the second best for F/M's (I prefer archmagi robes myself), so discussing full platemails vs ankheg is probably not the point here. I too often find myself using Dorn for a brief amount of time as I gain access to BG even on good playthroughs just to get his quest and for that elven chainmail.
    sarevok57Quartzlolien
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Yup, no elven chain or fun bastard sword for you! The fact that almost all of the added content is attached to the new NPCs is frustrating.
    ThacoBellKuronaSirBatinceFinneousPJ
  • JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028
    This is why I just console in the chainmail at some point in the game and drop a pile of gold. No offense to Dorn, but I rarely do Neutral playthroughs, much less Evil ones.
    Quartz[Deleted User]