Skip to content

Mage: Tips and Tricks

Even though I've been playing BG since it was released, I must admit that I have almost never played any arcane spellcaster as my character. In addition, the mages that are in my party are usually relegated to dispell/breach duty so my warriors can smash.

I am very aware that I am vastly underplaying what the mage is capable of, but their spells, order in which to cast them, and in what situations to cast them, confuse me.

I was hoping that some BG vets could come along and give me some tips on general mage gameplay. For example:

- What to do against fully buffed enemy mages in mage vs mage combat.
- Tips on spells that you may think some people may not know (gated summons cannot be killed via Death Spell like other summons can for example).
- Powerful or fun spell combos you employ.

You get the idea. Any tips welcome!

Comments

• ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    edited November 2012
    In vanilla it's not much of a hassle to dismantle the spell protections of enemy mages. Breach will work through spell protections (so you can quickly make them vulnerable to physical attacks), and spell immunity abjuration basically won't stop spells that remove protections.
    Also, if you manage to nail an enemy caster with blindness or an insect-cloud spell like creeping doom, they will be fairly helpless. Same thing goes for power word silence, it's rare that the vanilla AI will use vocalize, even liches.
  • styggastygga Member Posts: 467
    In bg2 by the time you get spell strike every other protectionremoving spell becomes practically obsolete... Only thing I used besides that spell was pierce magic for the lower magic resistance it has on it as well. BTW Spell Strike is a level 9 spell.
  • RomulanPaladinRomulanPaladin Member Posts: 188
    Mage vs. Mirror Image
    Don't know if they'll change this later but, originally, each magic missile you fire will take out one of the images in a mirror image (if it doesn't actually hit the target). That means that a few magic missile spells at higher level can really chew through enemy mirror images.

Friends
    An under-appreciated spell. This is a good way to decrease shop prices.

Lightning Bolts, ER, and dungeons
    If you have the supplies to buff up a wizard to have an electrical resistance to 100% (scrolls of protection, potion of absorption, etc.), you can send him invisible into a narrow dungeon room full of tough enemies. Shoot a lightning bolt. They bounce around A LOT. You can often do a whole lot of damage in a very short amount of time. Without the ER, you'll likely torch yourself.

Summoned Monsters and AoE
    If there are many enemies in a room, you can summon some monsters in some strategic location. Once the enemies cluster around them, drop an AoE like fireball. Keep your tanks just outside the exit to cut down any attempting to escape the barrage of spells.

Disrupting Spells
    A great way to combat enemy mages is to have a damaging spell with a very short casting time ready. Wait (cast nothing) until that enemy begins to cast a spell, pause the game and target him with your spell. Often, you will be able to finish your spell and damage him before he finishes his, disrupting his spell. Magic Missile is easily one of the best for this.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Another way of looking at it:
    Play through the entire series of games with an all fighter-type party. The point at which the game starts becoming harder (around lvl 11-12) is the point where mages start to become very good.
  • BrudeBrude Member Posts: 560
    Shin said:

Also, if you manage to nail an enemy caster with blindness or an insect-cloud spell like creeping doom, they will be fairly helpless. Same thing goes for power word silence, it's rare that the vanilla AI will use vocalize, even liches.

^ This. In the vanilla game, I've killed Daveorn in ~one round by hitting him with Dispel Magic, Silence, and a hail of arrows within a second or two of one another.

(Not quite Mage related, but Silence is one of the best spells in BG1. There's nothing funnier than seeing Drasus' cronies resort to chucking darts at your fighters because they can't cast any spells).
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    Command is one of the best Save or Suck spells in the first game. It's a cleric spell that makes the target fall unconscious for one round. If the target is standing in the middle of a bunch of fighter types he won't be getting back up. It's good to the degree that I recruit a cleric before goign to the Friendly Arms Inn just to Command that mage that ambushes you.
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    edited November 2012
    In my solo swashbuckler / mage playthrough, I handled enemy casters with a sword that has 3 clicks per day of silence (in BG2), plus sword spider polymorph.

I had almost no use for my dual wielding capability, the sword spider gets 5 attacks per round and poisons. It eats stoneskins for breakfast and spits out silence to nulify casters, paralasis for auto hits on armored targets, and fireballs / aganazars scorchers all from clickies and wands.

Also even the most powerful enemy mages in the game like the Lich are nullified by turning into a mustard jelly for 100% spell resistance. I often hear a lot of people who say that polymorph is weak, more like they simply never tried the auto hasted 5 attacks per round sword spider buffed with mirror image, stoneskin and spirir armor. Its just pure rape.

If you're fighting a big mob - Web, stinking cloud, greater malison, cloud kill, mass hold and fireballs. All dead.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    I don't do a lot of stuff with mages, which is probably why I'm not good at BG. I should play a mage through the game to learn the spells better; I don't like being a mage BUT it will probably help my mages better...
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729

I don't do a lot of stuff with mages, which is probably why I'm not good at BG. I should play a mage through the game to learn the spells better; I don't like being a mage BUT it will probably help my mages better...

Try a Fighter/Mage?

• SuiboonSuiboon Member Posts: 86
    Against groups of enemies spells such as slow and chaos work wonders. And early in BG 1 sleep is pretty amazing.

The tricky part in the game is fighting enemy mages because you will need to get rid of their protections first. When you have more than 1 mage (I usually have at least 2) of your own you can strip enemy mages of their defenses much sooner. Getting a melf's acid arrow on them quickly will often win the battle because it will keep disrupting their spell casting. After that you can focus on removing combat protections and smashing them to bits.

At higher levels you can abuse time stops with multiple mages if you *time* it right. Not that you'd really need to do that, but it is funny.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    edited November 2012
    Mages are one of the few classes I do play, next to druids. I've actually decided to solo play a necromancer using only necromancer spells throughout the entire game. Mostly because of an old discussion on here from awhile back, but also just because I want to try it :) (this will be done in vanilla BG1 not tutu or BGT).

He/she will be evil of course. Not sure on a name...
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    But concerning your actual topic and not me just rambling...

- What to do against fully buffed enemy mages in mage vs mage combat.

Well you could just wait them out. But otherwise dispel/remove magic, pierce magic, secret word are all good spells.

- Tips on spells that you may think some people may not know (gated summons cannot be killed via Death Spell like other summons can for example).

On the surface sleep may not look that great in bg1 vanilla, but its actually wicked cool.

- Powerful or fun spell combos you employ.

I can't say I really do combos. Umm greater malison and polymorph other? Not because its efficient, I just like my enemies as squirrels.
    A semi-popular and arguably very cheesy spell combination is time stop + shapechange into an illithid, then use their brain-devouring attack on your time-frozen enemies. It's more or less irresistable unless the opponent is immune to the time stop to begin with.

Of course, once you get to the point where you can use that combination, you'll have a lot of power at your disposal.
    elminster said:

Mages are one of the few classes I do play, next to druids. I've actually decided to solo play a necromancer using only necromancer spells throughout the entire game. Mostly because of an old discussion on here from awhile back, but also just because I want to try it :) (this will be done in vanilla BG1 not tutu or BGT).

He/she will be evil of course. Not sure on a name...

I like necromany spells and have only recently discovered how much fun an evil party can be :-)

Are humans the only race that can be a necromancer? Only downside, I guess, as you can't dual to a necromancer

elminster said:

On the surface sleep may not look that great in bg1 vanilla, but its actually wicked cool.

I like sleep, but never know exactly which enemies it will work on or not (apart from the obvious things, like not working on undead), is there a bestiary available where you can find out what hit dice certain monsters are likely to have?
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    I think the best bet would be the 2nd ED Monster Manual, as I doubt they differed much from that.

I think the best bet would be the 2nd ED Monster Manual, as I doubt they differed much from that.

I wonder if there's a PDF of that's online somewhere...

I wonder if there's a PDF of that's online somewhere...
    Ahem!: http://www.dotd.com/mm/index.htm

• ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    and here was me about to suggest TPB...
    ajwz said:

and here was me about to suggest TPB...

Well that's an option too, of course :-)

Pure mages are weak, too little HP. Try any of the following, in no particular order:

Multiclasses:

Fighter / Mage
    Cleric / Mage (or gnome for illusionist)
    Thief / Mage (or gnome for illusionist)
    Fighter / Thief / Mage
    Fighter / Cleric / Mage

Dual classes:

Kensai 9 or 13 levels > Mage
    Swashbuckler 10 > Mage

or even Berserker 9 or 13> Mage, though its seems wrong from a RP perspective...

I prefer multis to duals, or just dualing early (e.g. Fighter level 3) to get some extra proficiencies, helmet/shield/fighter potion use and extra starting HP, as otherwise you're playing a class you don't want to really be for half the game (at least if starting in BG1 / BGEE)
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    Make a wild mage or sorcerer character, recruit Imoen, Nalia, Edwin, Jan and Haer'dalis in BG2. Your first two hours will be pure torture but since you'll have no choice but to learn, you'll pick it up soon enough.

And then you will devastate everything in your path with quintiple fireballs, never a short supply of Dispel Magics/Breaches/Pierce Magics, hordes of summoned monsters, untouchable melee combatants (stoneskin/spirit armour/mirror image/blur/Tenser's Transformation) and so on.

Trying this strategy in BG1 is not recommended.
    Dual classing at 9 fighter or 10 thief in BG1 is possible in solo runs with the EXP cap removed. It doesnt take too long to farm the EXP needed for it.
  • mercyfulfate1988mercyfulfate1988 Member Posts: 43
    Man, I am so bad at mages in 2nd ed that I was thinking about just not having one at all for my first playthrough. That probably wouldn't end very well though...
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited November 2012
    Here's my spellcasting tactics 101:
    • Have mages cast spells that disable opponents. Disabling Area-of-Effect spells are especially effective against mobs, eg, Sleep, Glitterdust, Horror, Emotion: Hopelessness, Chaos. Spells that do nothing but dispense damage are great. But when enemies are hampered or entirely stopped from attacking you they're easy pickins'. Disable first, then dole damage.

• Have mages target the most powerful enemies (their spellcasters and tanks) with disabling spells such as Spook, Chromatic Orb, Blind, Hold (clerics can cast this too), Slow, Confusion, Feeblemind. Priests can use Doom, Summon Insects, Rigid Thinking, Insect Plague. In other words, shut down the opponents' magical attacks.

• Have mages take control of enemies and make them attack their own comrades via Charm, Dire Charm, Domination. Once enemies are charmed, take control of them and make them drop all their gear. When the charmed enemy is a spellcaster, use up his or her most powerful spells--against his/her own comrades, naturally.

• For a ranged approach (i.e., attacking from a distance) mages and clerics can initiate the battle by casting Grease, Entangle, or Web. Then use Stinking Cloud, Cloudkill, or Ice Storm. All the while pelt the enemy with arrows, fireballs, incendiary potions, and arrows of detonation.
    All but the last of these basic strategies will serve you well both in the vanilla game and when using tactical AI mods. Except for the last one (i.e., the ranged attack with enemies outside fog of war) they don't depend on any exploits. With the exception of the last one they'll work just as well when enemies behave smarter, as with the SCS mod.

Since we're talking about BG:EE the focus above is on lower level play. However, the higher the level of play, the greater your command of spellcasting should be. And to really excel in combat in BG2, although you will still use much of the above, it requires much more spell knowledge.
    Thanks@Lemernis, I've been using some of these strategies, but have learned some things too, and its good to have this all in one place.

Do you have any specific spell strategy tips for fighter/mages (primarily the multi-class), as these classes can play quite differently? Thanks
    Fighter/mages synergize very well as they combine the defense/control of a mage with effective and free-of-cost physical attacks. Spells like mirror image, blur, stoneskin, and protection from magical weapons will make a fighter very resilient to physical damage, whereas incapacitating spells like hold monster will allow him to land a lot of hits. Tenser's transformation, fire shields and touch attack spells also work well.
  • BrudeBrude Member Posts: 560

I like sleep, but never know exactly which enemies it will work on or not (apart from the obvious things, like not working on undead), is there a bestiary available where you can find out what hit dice certain monsters are likely to have?

From what I've noticed: Sleep becomes less effective by the time you hit Chapter 4 (Cloakwood). It's still apt to work on mobs that travel in groups (gnolls, hobgoblins, wolves, ogrillons, kobolds, huge spiders, etc) but it won't work on most humanoids after that.

Most solo enemy casters in the original game are much higher level than the party will be when you cross paths, so it never works on them (Tarnesh and Nimbul are level 7, iirc, and Silke is level 10). But otoh, that's what Command and Silence are for.