Skip to content

BG3 using infinity engine?

If there was to be a bg3, or another d&d game in a similar style to an infinity engine game, would you like them to continue using the infinity engine, or would you prefer a new engine or significantly upgraded version of the original?

Comments

• ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    If they kept the same style I wouldn't mind an upgrade, as per the Project Eternity screenshot look. Only if it ends up being (at least) as customizable and mod friendly as the present one though. Better looks and smoother handling for less control wouldn't really be worth it.
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,644
    I like it the way it is. I'm so rooted in my ways. Lol. Maybe an upgrade so the pixies are more defined but its still the same size/engine.
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    Id like a very similar engine but in higher definition and resolution.
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited November 2012
    IF BG3 happens, IF, it would be a new engine, using the most up to date version of D&D rules. It would maintain the same type of isometric, party based gameplay.
  • theJoshFrosttheJoshFrost Member Posts: 171
    It may be similar to the Infinity Engine, but it would be made from scratch. The infinity engine is too old and difficult to use. To even make a modern game from scratch with it they'd have to tinker around so much with it it'd actually probably be easier to use a new one.
    It won't use the most up to date D&D rules as overhaul games have been licensed to use AD&D2 to create any new content they want.
    I think a similar engine to what Bastion uses could work really well, but with much less anime / bright colours:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRXKPdIAAqw

Or even magicka?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVrQ8fBOG_w

Though I dislike the idea of BG3 being in 3D, Magicka is about as much 3D as close to ISO 2D can get. Bastion actually uses 2D environments but with 3D charaters / monsters. graphically I think its amazing for an ISO game, one of the best I've seen and played in a very long time.
  • sterriussterrius Member Posts: 20
    while a "anime" style would really not work and break the atmosphere, a "art" style with everyone look like they are coming from a comic book is not a bad aproach, but maybe would need too much work.
    I also dont want it to look anything like WoW / Torchlight / Diablo 3 .... I'd rather that it look like either of the two games above, or just be exactly the same as BG2 rather than turn into WoW graphics.
  • jolly_bbjolly_bb Member Posts: 122
    The art style should be medievalish. Comic style also acceptable. Isometric view A MUST, although i understand reasons behind making it 3D (like Magicka). I'd prefer the Bastion version however, by far.

Now... Imagine an isometric Skyrim (maybe with hand-painted background instead of 3D if possible) - what say you :)?
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    Mungri said:

It won't use the most up to date D&D rules as overhaul games have been licensed to use AD&D2 to create any new content they want.

They only have a contract to make BGEE and BG2EE. A BG3 would be an entirely new contract and WotC will want to promote 5e rules.
    edited November 2012
    Oh, that sucks, I thought they were being allowed to make a new BG with the same rules :(

I wont be interested in 5.0, all of the games based on rules after 2.0 have been terrible.

So all they can do currently is make new content for BG1 + 2.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    The art style and backgrounds I'm generally fine with, but I wouldn't object to reworked and more detailed character animations/models. For one thing they'd be easier to mod, and you'd get rid of annoying consequences like the mirroring effect.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    @Mungri

Well, I disagree on the "all game made after 2e were terrible" thing. I liked IWD2's ruleset.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    Tanthalas said:

@Mungri

Well, I disagree on the "all game made after 2e were terrible" thing. I liked IWD2's ruleset.

I would prefer 2e with house ruling the good stuff from later issues :D
    edited November 2012
    Tanthalas said:

@Mungri

I thought IWD2 was the same ruleset as BG2?

Or not, I just read up on it, apparently it was based on the 3.0 ruleset, but a lot of it had to be excluded because it was incompatible with the infinity engine.
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    ajwz said:

If there was to be a bg3, or another d&d game in a similar style to an infinity engine game, would you like them to continue using the infinity engine, or would you prefer a new engine or significantly upgraded version of the original?

Good FSM, no, the Infinity Engine is a PITA. Modding happens despite the Infinity Engine.

It's a moot point regardless. I can't imagine WotC licensing a new game under anything but the current ruleset.
  • HowieHowie Member Posts: 136
    No. There are other engines that could work the same if not better. And I have lost faith to WotC ability to make D&D since 3.5e. So just keep it in AD&D or go Pathfinder, stay away from that sunken ship.
    Wotc post 3.5 / 3D games are horrendous. They had such a great thing going with BG, and then they completely ruin it and don't allow any future games based on the same ruleset. I would think that if a game is as great as BG, its gameplay should be continued, just like the Elder scroll series and Diablo and its many clones.

I also don't understand why there has never been an attempt at BG clone. It doesn't have to use the D&D rules, just have the same combat and spell mechanisms. DAO was the first game that was close, but Bioware would now rather make console trash than carry on making great tactical combat top down view PC games.
  • NathanNathan Member Posts: 1,007
    IF we get the opportunity to do this, I believe we would definitely use new tech, but keep it isometric for goodness.

I think I can safely say that something going forward that will be a priority is making sure we support the modding community/making it easier for modders to work with what we've got. It's clear what a big part they've played in making sure that Baldur's Gate grew into the game it has come to be remembered as, rather than simply an "oldie but a goodie", if you know what I'm getting at. =)
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122

Maybe an upgrade so the pixies are more defined

I'm gonna choose to assume that this is not a typo.
  • LordsDarkKnight185LordsDarkKnight185 Member Posts: 615
    D&D Next is actually shaping up to be quite interesting IMHO and I would love to see an infinity-esque engine to run it (Infinity engine ran AD&D 2e and D&D 3e fairly well, for what it is) and i could imagine a new image based on it (just looking the same would be great) being in 5e to do really well.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Tanthalas said:

@Mungri

I have always assumed IWD2 was infinity engine, not some grand modification?
    It was infinity engine but based on 3.0 rules. Yet most of the 3.0 ruleset was incompatible with the engine and had to be excluded so it was really just the same thing as BG2.

So then to get 3.0 into video games, they came up with the Aurora engine for NWN. I wept in agony when I started playing NWN.
  • LordsDarkKnight185LordsDarkKnight185 Member Posts: 615
    Mungri said:

It was infinity engine but based on 3.0 rules. Yet most of the 3.0 ruleset was incompatible with the engine and had to be excluded so it was really just the same thing as BG2.

Hmm...What was excluded from the ruleset?
    No idea, that's just what Wikipedia said.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    IIRC, the devs have explicitly stated that they will not be using the Enhanced version of the ToB engine for BG3. Why? Lost source artwork for one thing. And secondly, the code is an ancient beast to work with, even with all the work they've done to update it for modern OSs. They're better off building from the ground up.

Personally, I just hope that they take the very best of the elements that make the BG series so satisfying and perfect what already works so well in a new engine. Edition Next should give them the elbow room to cobble together a very similar ruleset to Infinity. I have very high hopes for BG3 in terms of game mechanics.

In some ways it's the setting that worries me more. I'm not a fan of the 4th edition Forgotten Realms, i.e., post-Spellplague. But we'll have to see also what the Sundering does for the setting over the next year or so.
  • KirkorKirkor Member Posts: 700
    Sorry, but infinity engine is impossible to implement any major improvements and its too old.
    Original data of the engine (the original 3D models etc.) is lost. And as far as I know, IE is pain in the arse for developers...
    There will be new engine... But it doesn't mean it will look bad. If developers have enough good will, new engine would look similar (in terms of the feeling and atmosphere) or even better than IE.

IMO something similar (by means of graphics) to Diablo III would suit the eventual BG3 very well. It just needs to be less... "anime-ish", i guess. But the colors and nice "painted" background looks wonderful IMO.
    Infinity engine cant be used anymore, its way too out of date.

Someone posted this game in another thread, these kind of graphics would be terrific, as long as they are in fixed ISO view:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1473965863/sui-generis

I dont want moving cameras or third person view at all, they are 100% terrible in a party based tactical combat game.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited November 2012
    That Sui Generis game is pretty darned amazing in following the laws of physics for combat. And I love the anyone-can-use toolset it seems to have. I'm sure you can have characters walk about instead of run everywhere, as the constant running would tend to break immersion for me. But all-in-all I could certainly live with something like that for BG3.

Although, honestly, a HD and even more beautifully drawn version of they type of world have would still feel better to me.