Skip to content

Elite: Dangerous kickstarter

mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
edited November 2012 in Off-Topic
After so many years David Braben is finally releasing a sequel to his famous Elite game.

For those who never heard of it, Elite and Elite 2 launched an entire new genre of space simulations with huge galaxies to explore, a live economy many paths in game, different government systems affect economy and law, etc.

The only negative aspect to me in this new game so far is that it seems like it's going to be a multiplayer only game.

Link to kickstarter page here:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1461411552/elite-dangerous

Comments

• Kristie83Kristie83 Member Posts: 259
    Yeah, the multiplayer thing is pretty unclear...When I first started reading it seemed optional, but then as I kept reading the multiplayer section I thought maybe not...

It sounds a little like Civilizations, but in space! Speaking of space games, has anyone played FTL? Its a neat little indie game. http://www.ftlgame.com
  • ginger_hammerginger_hammer Member Posts: 160
    Elite ruled back in the day, those damn tharganiods hyperjumping you into no-mans land! Played quite a bit of x3 which has filled my space needs, am very tempted to back this one though.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    The multi-player aspect makes this kick-starter a non-starter for me. In theory, playing with others is cool - but only when you pick which others and only if you choose to play with others. Still haven't bought ME3 because it bugs me that I have to play MP to see everything the game has.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    I have to agree with reedmilfan. First I was entusiastic with the return of Elite. But the more I think about it the more the multiplayer only aspect turns me off. If it's multiplayer only, it means I must be always online. And this makes me remember Diablo III's complete lack of a local single player mode and that's something I hope won't be the future of gaming. I'll wait for release and hope they change their mind.
  • Silver_MoonSilver_Moon Member Posts: 72
    Great game! Wish good Luck to creator! I heard about this game, that it is a legendary space sim with economic and exploring of galaxy. But, i never played for myself.
  • RabainRabain Member Posts: 39
    If you like the look of Elite but want a game with single player or limited multiplayer option you should take a look at Star Citizen, especially the latest Update (21).

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cig/star-citizen/posts
  • CyhortCyhort Member Posts: 78
    Yeah Star Citizen looks a lot better. Elite just looks like they're trying to trick us into playing an MMO. That being said, I'm not super enthusiastic about either one since I'm mostly a console gamer and my gaming laptop is two years old now. When those games come out I probably won't be able to play them at their lowest settings. If I end up saving up for a gaming desktop then I'll pick SC up, but for right now I'll get much more excited for Project Eternity.
  • NWN_babaYagaNWN_babaYaga Member Posts: 732
    I know elite from way way back on amiga. A buddy played it in and out and we always made fun of him because the only thing he was realy doing was flying in giant empty space for hours and hours and realy enjoyed that...
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    Everything I've seen on Star Citizen has implied multiplayer universe. I'm not sure I understand how this is either single or multi.