Skip to content

Interview with Phillip Daigle at Mages and Murderdads podcast

JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
"How did we come to idea of making SoD?", "Why is it an adventure between BG1 and BG2, not between BG2 and ToB?", "Which quests in SoD are Phillip's favorite?", "Why there is no Elminster comeback in SoD?", - these type of questions.

Among other things, Phillip explains why not all NPCs from BG1 are present in SoD. It is because not all voice actors were possible to reach.

"Chapter 10 in SoD was planned as something like Chapter 2 in BG2".

"Honestly, yes, I would like to do BG3. But in the same time, if you really think about BG3, let me ask you this: What do you think BG3 should be?... A lot of people are expecting it to be isometric, a lot of people are expecting it to be something new. And I think no matter what you do you're going to end up disappointing a lot of people... I would like to work on isometric BG3, it would super fun, but..."

Really, listen. It's a cool interview.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pz4Tp7GohV8
Post edited by JuliusBorisov on

Comments

• UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    Good Interview.

To find out that the inclusion of Irenicus in SOD was a late addition doesn't come as a surprise really.
    It's my least favourite aspect of SOD, unecessary and annoying.

I think it damages the impact of BG2, just far too much foreshadowing. By the end of BG2 you are sick to death of him anyway (because of the dreams, just shut up you boring egomaniac) and now he turns up even earlier.

I know it's partly because of playing the game so often, but as the audience they are appealing to do exactly that, wouldn't it have been a good idea to design it to keep the annoyances on the 20+th playthrough to a minimum?
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    There is no such thing as too much David Warner.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    the fact chapter 10 was orginally meant to have way more content is interesting. it's already my favorite chapter due to the amount of side quests on offer. all the rest have like 3. really felt more like a normal bg chapter imo quest wise.