Skip to content

Original Version By Purchasing Off Beamdog?

Do you get the original saga version of Baldur's Gate by purchasing it off of the Beamdog website?

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,723
    @AnderMeson , welcome to the forum!

No, you don't get the original game when buying it from our store.

If you purchase the EEs from GoG.com, they will include keys for original games as well.
  • Wandering_RangerWandering_Ranger Member Posts: 175
    edited February 2017
    The original version is fantastic, I always enjoyed playing it on easiest mode (not because it is easy, but because it isn't).

Easiest mode in the original game did not give you any of the benefits easiest mode does in BG2 or the Enhanced versions: You don't get max HP on level, mage spells are not automatically scribed, and the damage done by your party is still rolled randomly (instead of auto-maximum each roll). The only thing it gives is a damage reduction.

What I enjoyed was the fact that "easiest" mode gave you half the experience (an option I wish was available in the enhanced edition via a tick-box option, no matter the difficulty), which actually made the game tougher eventually because of the slow leveling. It just felt like a much more realistic journey with a slower growth for the characters. It essentially "forced" you to adventure more to gain the necessary experience for the end-game encounters.

Anyway, good to see there is still interest in the original, a truly wonderful game.