Skip to content

Underdark, why it is so fitting grand finale of SoA (Spoilery)

Somehow the introductory movie with it´s darkness didn´t convince me that I´d entered Underdark, but the 3 tunnels were like 3 choices of instant death. Now that I´m almost out I must admire the original creators for this lovecraftian* accomplishment. I didn´t know that by denying the tank fish you get to battle the entire drow city which wasn´t such a crumbling experience as the drow war party found in Black Pits 2.

*mostly feeling alien, out of this world - kinda extra cool in fantasy world.

What memories you harbor of the Underdark? Do you have any expectations?

Comments

• OrlonKronsteenOrlonKronsteen Member Posts: 905
    edited February 2017
    It's a very spooky and well designed area, for sure. For a long time I had mixed feelings about it. On one hand, it's a great level, but on the other it occurs during a really linear segment of the game. Once you leave for Spellhold, you're basically stuck on a track for a long time and that track was a great cause of restartitis for me, and the drow city was usually where I completely lost interest in my game. But I seem to be enjoying it a lot more again, lately.

From a tactical standpoint it presents some unique challenges: Drow parties with magic resistance, mind flayers, beholders... For a long time the mind flayer den was the most intimidating part of the game for me. I used to make a special save before going in there because, depending on how early I went to Spellhold, I really wasn't sure I could make it through. It's the only part of the entire game I could ever say that about. Yes, you can find yourself overwhelmed in Watcher's Keep, but there you can simply turn around and leave. Once you're in the mind flayer den, there's no getting out.
    Post edited by OrlonKronsteen on
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    it's not the finale
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    bob_veng said:

it's not the finale

Don't spoil him!
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Indeed, when you think that SoA couldn't get more epic with its dragons and forgotten gods they throw you at the underdark in all its glory!
    ToB probably had its share of criticism because it couldn't any better than it already was :)
  • SomeSortSomeSort Member Posts: 859
    Tarlugn said:

Somehow the introductory movie with it´s darkness didn´t convince me that I´d entered Underdark, but the 3 tunnels were like 3 choices of instant death. Now that I´m almost out I must admire the original creators for this lovecraftian* accomplishment. I didn´t know that by denying the tank fish you get to battle the entire drow city which wasn´t such a crumbling experience as the drow war party found in Black Pits 2.

*mostly feeling alien, out of this world - kinda extra cool in fantasy world.

What memories you harbor of the Underdark? Do you have any expectations?

Denying the Fish Tank doesn't necessarily have to turn the entire city hostile.

You're also able to blackmail the Fish and say that if he reveals you, you'll reveal him and his plot, leading to mutually-assured self-destruction. At that point he thinks better of his plan and you get 12,000 free XP, which is more than you actually get for completing his quest, (though you miss out on the XP and loot from killing the drow for him).