Skip to content

I want to make a mod so the game has a time limit

Earnest_ernestEarnest_ernest Member Posts: 40
I always found the fact of not having a time limit very unchallenging and unrealistic. Even more considering one can abuse of spam resting. This is why I wanted to impose a time limit on the game so you would get a game over if the game is not finished before that time limit. I think Prince of Persia got it right by implementing that feature.

Any help on how could I tweak the game data to make this happen?

Regards

Comments

• Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,174
    edited March 2017
    On the ideas side...

One way to have time limits pre-Spellhold have Irenicus become more dangerous as he discovers more of the Bhaalspawn's secrets. He can already annihilate Charname if the crazies aren't present, so it would not be too much of a stretch to have a mod where he learns how to strip Charname's soul at a distance with no hope of survival via cutscene. Alternatively he could just become a more difficult boss battle as time passes. Post-Spellhold the soul-stripped Charname could degenerate slowly- gradually losing stats /xp or whatever, to encourage the player not to rest & heal up at every turn!
  • Earnest_ernestEarnest_ernest Member Posts: 40
    I agree
    Mantis37 said:

On the ideas side...

One way to have time limits pre-Spellhold have Irenicus become more dangerous as he discovers more of the Bhaalspawn's secrets. He can already annihilate Charname if the crazies aren't present, so it would not be too much of a stretch to have a mod where he learns how to strip Charname's soul at a distance with no hope of survival via cutscene. Alternatively he could just become a more difficult boss battle as time passes. Post-Spellhold the soul-stripped Charname could degenerate slowly- gradually losing stats /xp or whatever, to encourage the player not to rest & heal up at every turn!

I like the idea of gradually losing xp, stats or the boss getting stronger. Or you could just get the idea that Fable(the game) uses: You gradually become older and have to be obliged to retire from adventuring.

It seems so simple... Just grab the timer and compare it to a constant "hour" value ( or day if you prefer). And if it returns false, just crash the game or whatever... I will understand what happened xD
    Ok I am really close. Just read some of the Nearinfinity documentation and there is a file which has all of the scripts triggers in the whole game (baldurs.bcs). I just found some code that evaluates if any party member is alive to or not to set the game to its gameover state.. Look at it:

• AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,297
    Interesting idea. On the other hand I feel that this aggravates the issue with the party gaining power so quickly. In P&P it was said that character usually spend a few week training for each level (after having the xp!). This alone would make the series take longer than 2 years on the low side.
    Anyway, I just got this somewhat solved for a basic gameover screen when time limit is reached. Check this post:

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/856929#Comment_856929