Skip to content

Humor in mods

tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
I have been toying with an idea to make into my first mod. I think I have the plot, NPC, and the general scope of the dialogues developed to the point where I am ready to start. However, I need to ask the community: how acceptable are humor and pop culture references? There were quite a few examples of both in the original game; many joinable NPCs either made the comments themselves or inspired them. You could argue that Minsc and Tiax were largely comic relief, albeit quite effective comic relief. In addition, you had things like the encounter with Larry, Darryl, and Darryl in the Cloudpeaks. There weren't quite so many examples in BG2; mostly it was restricted to Jan and Lilarcor. (Although the various appearances of a moose with a squirrel still make me smile.)

What I am planning would not be a pure comic relief character or quest based on pop culture, but I have thought of things to add. For the record, nothing is beyond a G rating, except one thing possibly bordering on PG; my guideline is asking myself if I would be uncomfortable saying it in front of my funny but religious neighbors and their grade-school-aged children. But I am not sure what the community would think of references to old songs (well, not old to me) or quasi-obscure movies.

Thoughts?

Comments

• KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    British humor and black comedy are two of my favourites. Something akin to Blackadder may be just right for the Baldur's Gate saga. Although meeting some NPC whose telling terrible deadpan jokes would be kind of refreshing as well.
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    It wouldn't be too much humor (I hope) partly because I'm nowhere near as funny as the people who write those shows. Although I am suddenly intrigued by the idea of a gnome named Baldrick Jansen.
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    As a general rule, making a reference to something is fine as long as people who don't get the reference don't realize that it's a reference. If they don't get the reference yet they can tell that it's a reference, they feel like they're being left out.