Skip to content

Do magic items break?

themazingnessthemazingness Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 702
I recently started a new game of BG and haven't played for a long time. Minsc keeps breaking his two-handed swords, which is driving me crazy since I don't have a magical one for him yet.

So my strategy is to hand him named weapons that he isn't proficient with until I pick up a good sword for him. My question is, will this strategy work? I assume magical weapons cannot break.

Comments

• DinklemusLittlelogDinklemusLittlelog Member Posts: 3
    That’s right. The strategy will work.

Some exotic metal weapons also won’t break as far as I know (katanas, ninja-tos, …). But magic weapons are always indestructible.
  • I think normal weapons will stop breaking after you deal with the iron crisis, but don't quote me on that. Not that it matters much, because at that point you probably already got magic weapons for everyone.
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    edited March 2017
    Two-handed swords and axes always seemed particularly fragile to me, compared to other weapons. Quite annoying^^

Short swords almost never shatter for me.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Whenever I do a playthrough, ONLY Minsc breaks his weapons.
  • DevardKrownDevardKrown Member Posts: 421
    he says it himself....Minsc and Bow......no more broken weapons.

also yes Magical items are Unbreakable.
  • NotabarbiegirlNotabarbiegirl Member Posts: 141
    Another work around is using a Throwing Axe as a melee weapon, it does not break in that case. Get that raging ranger a magical weapon as soon as it is feasible .
  • themazingnessthemazingness Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 702
    Thanks everyone! This has been helpful. Right now I've resulted to using 2-handed swords when I find them until they break, then using a bow or magic weapon that I'm not proficient in.
  • NoonNoon Member Posts: 202
    There is a two-handed sword +1 in one of the areas around/between Beregost and Naskel, quite easy to get.
  • OrlonKronsteenOrlonKronsteen Member Posts: 905
    Minsc can also use maces, of which there are a couple easily attainable magical ones available.
    edited March 2017
    Noon said:

There is a two-handed sword +1 in one of the areas around/between Beregost and Naskel, quite easy to get.

Thanks. I'll have to keep my eye out. I just checked the two wilderness areas directly between them with no luck, but I'll check the others.
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    This reminds me of 1st ed AD&D when even magic items had to make a saving throw in certain instances, such as dragons breath, acid, etc. Course we do have the freezing effect and disintegration, and flesh to stone in the game now. Now those CAN ruin some good stuff.
    Zaghoul said:

This reminds me of 1st ed AD&D when even magic items had to make a saving throw in certain instances, such as dragons breath, acid, etc. Course we do have the freezing effect and disintegration, and flesh to stone in the game now. Now those CAN ruin some good stuff.

True, although in those cases it is a matter of strategy. I don't mind having to switch weapons for weapon-eating oozes, rust monsters, etc. But I don't like it in when it just sort of happens like in this game. I really want Minsc to be a two-handed sword wielder, but so far I have to work around it until I get a magical one.
  • DevardKrownDevardKrown Member Posts: 421

Zaghoul said:

True, although in those cases it is a matter of strategy. I don't mind having to switch weapons for weapon-eating oozes, rust monsters, etc. But I don't like it in when it just sort of happens like in this game. I really want Minsc to be a two-handed sword wielder, but so far I have to work around it until I get a magical one.
    well two handed swords ARE dirtcheap if you really really want him to flail them around you can just buy 5 and load out his spare weapon slots with them , you should come around with 5 of them for a while....or you just google where one magical +1 could be found but that takes the charm of playing it firsttime..
    edited March 2017
    tbone1 said:

But I don't like it in when it just sort of happens like in this game.

Keep in mind that is key part of the plot: weapons are simply breaking left and right and no one knows why.

True. And at least it isn't the valuable items. Plot or not though, it still is an annoying game mechanic. If part of the plot was you were a 1 HP weakling, plot wouldn't make it tolerable. Fortunately it isn't that extreme!

Keep in mind, I've played the game before and love it. I'm commenting about game mechanics generally rather than criticizing the game.
    edited March 2017

Noon said:

Thanks. I'll have to keep my eye out. I just checked the two wilderness areas directly between them with no luck, but I'll check the others.
    I found one. Arghain drops one in the area just NE of the carnival. So problem solved!