Skip to content

BG1 MONSTERS - What made a meal of you most? PART 1

2»

Comments

• DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    Skeleton Warriors.
    I beat everything in the game but whenever I go into the freakin' Thieves Maze, those bastards cut me right up. And missle weapons hardly work because they have massive piercing resistance. And magic immunity. Bastaaaaards!

Second place: Sword spiders. I know how to deal with them now, but when I was a wee lad, oh dear, the animation alone gave me shivers.
  • ArcalianArcalian Member Posts: 359
    Evil adventuring parties/groups of assassins sent to kill me.
  • DjonneDjonne Member Posts: 71
    Ankheg because I usually do them very early in the game. :o
  • SecriaSecria Member Posts: 85
    I keep thinking I'm prepared after leveling up some, so then I'm like let's try to kill some ankhegs, make that armor or something.

Nope.
  • xxxsmb1987xxxxxxsmb1987xxx Member Posts: 280
    AlexM said:

Some of my party had to be sacrificed so I could escape the catacombs. Curse you basilisks!

Just a heads up there is a Item in the catacombs that make you invincible against there gaze give it to your best fighter kill them and bring the rest of your party up =) that took me 20 reloads before I figured that out lol.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Likely the boosted wyverns in Durlag's Tower, along with the invisible, backstabbing and never-seen-elsewhere ashirukurus in the labyrinth there.
  • GriegGrieg Member Posts: 507
    Never had a problem with ankhegs, basilisks, wyverns
    Those phase spiders are so much nuisance. Especially when you have 3 wizards in your team. When they begin the teleport spell you are always sure that 1 mage, or sometimes ranger with a bow will get poisoned and eventually die, and I never remember about antidotes it is even worse when you activate a web-trap almost certain: all mages wipe out.

Those skeletons warriors were always problem too, with all those resistances that they have but somehow I suffered much more from them in BG2 than in BG1.
  • ARKdeEREHARKdeEREH Member Posts: 531
    Grieg said:

Never had a problem with ankhegs, basilisks, wyverns
    Those phase spiders are so much nuisance. Especially when you have 3 wizards in your team. When they begin the teleport spell you are always sure that 1 mage, or sometimes ranger with a bow will get poisoned and eventually die, and I never remember about antidotes it is even worse when you activate a web-trap almost certain: all mages wipe out.

Those skeletons warriors were always problem too, with all those resistances that they have but somehow I suffered much more from them in BG2 than in BG1.

Yeah, phase spiders can be annoying. I remember a time when I was clearing out a floor in Durlag's Tower. I had my weaker party members wait near the door and sent my strongest character out to kill the spiders, but then they teleported to the other side of the level and killed half my party before I realized what was happening.
  • LadyEibhilinRhettLadyEibhilinRhett Member Posts: 1,078
    @Grieg
    How did I not see that as an option?
    If I had seen that I would have chosen that.
    Sword spiders and phase spiders are the WORST, in any IE game. The wreaked havoc with my party in Baldur's Gate, and caused more damn TPK's than I can COUNT in Icewind Dale.
    ...If I were a ranger, I would choose these guys as my hated enemies and hunt them all down. All of them. They are the worst ever.
  • awin123awin123 Member Posts: 55
    It's really hard to pick just one. I picked Wyverns but a case could easily be made for Spiders, Ettercaps and Ankhegs too, ultimately I picked based on the ambushes you often run into with Wyverns/Ettercaps and web traps, some difficult cloakwood fights and the absolutely BRUTAL Greater Wyverns in Durlags Tower. Those things make mincemeat out of your toughest fighters and they have poison on top of their stupidly good damage/thac0.

The Astral Phase Spider is also a good candiate though there's only one that I know of, it's absolutely deadly.
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    Sword Coast Werewolves; specifically the kind that are immune to +2 weapons - Loup Garou? I didn't realise this in my first playthrough, so I got absolutely dominated by these unkillable monsters.

But yeah, Ettercaps and their poison were seriously annoying.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    Ankegs - mainly because I try to kill them far too early and their one-shot-spit is pretty deadly at those levels.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    If you don't have items or spells to protect you from basilisks the easiest thing to do is to just summon a bunch of skeletons (level 3 cleric spell). They will take care of them for you.
  • EinarDahlEinarDahl Member Posts: 1
    Think I was six-seven years when I encountered the Ankheg for the first time. Naturally, the whole party got obliterated. I'm still scared.
  • saffon69saffon69 Member Posts: 58
    the wyverns ....remember trying to rest as party was decimated , every time I saved then rested a flock of these things would destroy me...oh the good old days ...oooohh also the bear at the begining aaaahh it would chase me lol
  • Eldoth_KronEldoth_Kron Member Posts: 18
    edited November 2012
    Most definitely Ankhegs. Since the map is just one area north of FAI, I thought "Oh a farm, that's nice and cozy. I bet there is nothing that horrible I can't take on." Oh boy how I was wrong. Other nasties are Vampiric wolves and Basilisks at the beginning. Oh, and a huge group of Black Talon Elites...they rip you to shreds, even if your AC is -4. Dunno if it's just my usual bad luck...
  • VedwintheTyrantVedwintheTyrant Member Posts: 50
    Gnolls. Always the gnolls.
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    Early on skeletons can also be a real menace with their throwing knives, especially as they're very likely to target your vulnerable mages (at least with SCS they do). As you will have to get to High Hedge sometime to make your mage better, but they're still vulnerable before that, I always take the same route where I'm sure not to run in to them.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Kang54Kang54 Member Posts: 58
    edited November 2012
    I voted Battle Horrors, but it was a close, close run between them, Black Talon Elite, Ankhegs, Basilisks, Mustard Jellies, *Hobgoblin Elite* & Kobold Commandos (early on)... probably forgetting some too. Seriously, those hobgoblin elites could decimate my entire party in no time at all.

Ettercaps have never bothered me, strangely enough. That is, aside from the web traps that always circle each group of them.
  • DinsdalePiranhaDinsdalePiranha Member Posts: 419
    goddamn greater wyverns in Durlag's Tower. on insane, they do about 60 damage per hit - and your characters have about 100 hps or so if you're lucky. and they hit. a lot. and are very, very magic resistant, which made it even more "fun", considering neither of my mages had lower resistance...

I hate to resort to cheap tactics, and didn't do it any other time in my walkthrough, but I'm pretty sure I buried those goddamn things in summoned creatures.

also, I'd include assassins to the list, the ones that spawn after you go back to Ulgoth's Beard, with Durlag's Tower finished. they like to backstab your weakest party member (least hp), in my case, Xzar... who can't learn Mirror Image, and has an extremely bad AC, so he's about as frail as a kitten. fun times, poor psychopath must have been instagibbed more times than he can count... I was actually happy when they (through some miracle) many reloads later have gone for Coran - he died, sure, but wasn't splattered, so at least I could revive the guy.
  • Syntia13Syntia13 Member Posts: 514
    Kobolds.
    Don't laugh! They are vicious little monsters with their barks and their arrows, swarming in narrow tunnels of several major dungeons, and for the longest time I didn't know that reloading meant respawning. I thought they were reinforcements coming out of the walls. O_O

Carrion crawlers are a close second. They creep me out, and the eat my insides. Brrrr!
  • AlexDeLargeAlexDeLarge Member Posts: 273
    Ogre mages in SCS are pretty badass. Especially the Firewine Bridge one. Otherwise everything on that list is quite easy.
  • ShrimpShrimp Member Posts: 142
    In BG1, the ankhegs, no contest. There are much more dangerous things in the game, but while you encounter maybe two wyverns, those damn bugs seem to be everywhere, and you can actually meet them at low level, unlike horrors.
  • toanwrathtoanwrath Member Posts: 621
    Of these, basilisk undoubtedly. So there I was, just exploring Durlag's tower when suddenly my PC is a statue on the stairs...
    A few days later, I am going through the Catacombs, when suddenly MY PC IS A STATUE...
  • IgnatiusIgnatius Member Posts: 624
    The charm casters: sirines by the coast and dryads in the Cloakwood forests. You often don't see them coming, they've ended several of my runs.
  • BamBam Member Posts: 38
    I'm going to have to agree with bears. I now have a psychological fear of bears. Between three bears spawning outside of Candlekeep on my very first play through and eating my face every time I turned around, to that polar bear that attacks the merchant... I still to this day walk the long way around any bear I see. Even after hitting the XP cap with a party of six. Eff those bears. -shudder-
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • lelag200lelag200 Member Posts: 125
    Nadroir said:

Basilisk's are the enemy!

Know your enemy!
    Did any of you ever use Korax to wipe out the entire basilisk-infested area? His immunity to their stare made my party rich with gold and experience with him as the spearhead of our assault on the retched mage and his creatures. "Me kill your enemies"