Skip to content

BG1 MONSTERS - What made a meal of you most? PART 1

KulmKulm Member Posts: 19
I don't know about any of you, but I reckon I must have died a bazillion times playing BG over the years thanks to some fiendish monsters I happened to encounter. Mainly because my party was under geared or unprepared, or I was a noob. The general excuses.
I think what tended to kill me most early on was either being torn to shreds by sword spiders and running out of anti poisons or trying my luck collecting Ankegs heads and getting swarmed by them...

How about you?
p.s. Feel free to share tales of your miseries :P

These are just a personal few, needs more than 10 options really...

Edit: Added a part 2 list, See Part 2 and continue vote for most hated!
http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/6391/bg1-monsters-what-ruined-your-day-most-part-2#latest

Coming soon...
-NPC's
-TRAPS
  1. BG1 MONSTERS - What made a meal of you most?157 votes
    1. Ankheg
      26.75%
    2. Battle Horror
      10.19%
    3. Basilisk's
      24.20%
    4. Ettercap
        6.37%
    5. Mustard Jelly
        3.18%
    6. Ogre Mage
        3.18%
    7. Sword/ Phase Spider
      10.83%
    8. Vampiric Wolf
        7.64%
    9. Wyvern
        5.10%
    10. Skeleton Warrior
        2.55%
Post edited by Kulm on

Comments

• Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    Where are sirens? Once they wiped-out my entire party in BG1...
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    aec'letec would probably win this one for me.
    followed closely by that mage assassin outside of the friendly arm inn
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    ajwz said:

aec'letec would probably win this one for me.
    followed closely by that mage assassin outside of the friendly arm inn

I don't understand why lots of people seem to have problems with the FAI assassin, it's an easy fight if you play it right

• revaarrevaar Member Posts: 160
    I remember one of the first few times I played, I went north of the FAI to pick up this paladin I had heard about, and got absolutely stomped by the Ankhegs. Ever since that run I have been a bit leary around them.
  • KulmKulm Member Posts: 19

Where are sirens? Once they wiped-out my entire party in BG1...

Vote for it in part 2! :)

• QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Ettercaps. They have an ungodly number of attacks per round, a good THAC0, and deadly poison. Next would have to be Battle Horrors/Doom Guards though for sure ... Skeleton Warriors are a royal pain in the ass but by the time you encounter them you are pretty much level cap so it's not too bad.
  • AlexMAlexM Member Posts: 110
    Some of my party had to be sacrificed so I could escape the catacombs. Curse you basilisks!
    AlexM said:

Some of my party had to be sacrificed so I could escape the catacombs. Curse you basilisks!

I felt your pain! I remember I had to leave poor stone Kivan and Branwen in Basilisk country for freaking weeks! Re-load... reload... reload...

• ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    On the old bg1 engine, black talon elites would have a pretty high tally too
    ajwz said:

On the old bg1 engine, black talon elites would have a pretty high tally too

I was going to put them in NPC's as they are human, and sometimes have dialogue if i remember correctly?
    Anyway yea, they would also score near the top for me...
  • _N8__N8_ Member Posts: 77
    edited November 2012
    Ghouls
  • GoodSteveGoodSteve Member Posts: 607
    Battle Horrors. Ungodly AC and Thac0, magic resistance and a ton of hit points makes for 1 incredibly tough combatant. Not to mention everytime you encounter one it's not just one! These guys come in pairs at least and sometimes more than that. Luckily if you're smart enough (or familiar with the game) you can avoid these guys until later levels when it becomes a tough fight instead of a colossal ass raping. Pardon my french.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    I actually was thinking the doom guards you find in the thieves warrens, not battle horrors. Those doom guards when I first was playing BG1 more than ten years ago (I might have been ten or eleven years old when I was fighting them) I just avoided at all costs rather than fight lol. I had no clue at the time how to beat them and had died too many times trying I guess to even bother. I also did not have internet access at the time to be able to look them up.
  • LadyEibhilinRhettLadyEibhilinRhett Member Posts: 1,078
    Kulm said:

AlexM said:

I felt your pain! I remember I had to leave poor stone Kivan and Branwen in Basilisk country for freaking weeks! Re-load... reload... reload...

The same thing happened to Xan on my first playthrough. I was absolutely freaking inconsolable, and went back several times to try to kill the damn things and change him back.
  • NadroirNadroir Member Posts: 50
    Basilisk's are the enemy!
  • ZeckulZeckul Member Posts: 1,036
    Ankhegs because you can encounter them so early on and they are surprisingly deadly. None of the wolves are problematic, they're actually good xp-grind monsters especially the dread wolves.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    They poison minsc, dynaheir saves him. And then they poison dynaheir and all is lost...
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Sirens got the most kills, or should I say my charmed warriors getting the most kills, until I developed the tactic of keeping everyone else behind and just send my best ACed fighter forward. Got charmed, he'd just stand around and the sirens wouldn't attack him/her. Patiently wait out the length of the charm, probably go do laundry or make lunch, come back wait for the circle to turn green, inch a bit forward, get charmed again, rinse and repeat until I could get close enough to crit the under dressed wench.

Bassilisk were a different story. It usually went something like "Oh sh-" then stoned. then retreating. Then digging through my inventory hoping for a stone to flesh scroll. If no scroll found, then bondari reloads.
  • recklessheartrecklessheart Member Posts: 692
    I would say that Ankhegs screwed me over in my first couple of playthroughs, and it's hard to get over that scarring first impression of them. Even so, after a while you realise they ain't so tough!

Skeleton Warriors are, on the other hand, a troublesome enemy I feel. Mages being absolutely useless against them, and their AC and to-hit rate being respectably good, they are a burden. Especially because you encounter them at the end of the story and they are a stressful distraction from what you really want to do - kick in Sarevok's shins and those of his cronies!
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    Basilisks are deadly when you first play the game and have no idea where they are.
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    When you make Part 3 include Bears. F*^@#^&ing Bears. Eatin' my level 1 guys.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November 2012
    CaptRory said:

When you make Part 3 include Bears. F*^@#^&ing Bears. Eatin' my level 1 guys.

Most of these nubcakes play TuTu where Bears couldn't catch you if you wanted to due to jacked up walking speeds.

Also: Bears. we're outside Candlekeep. Eatin' ur doodz.
  • ARKdeEREHARKdeEREH Member Posts: 531
    edited November 2012
    Other: Flaming Fist.

I pissed them off in the beginning of my first playthrough without at the time understanding why and they wouldn't leave me alone for the rest of the game. I couldn't travel to cities and would get ambushed between levels. In subsequent playthroughs I realized what would set them off, but I still ended up getting killed by them quite frequently. Later, when I became more powerful, it was the other way around and it became me hunting them.

Edit: If I had to choose something from the list, I would say wyverns. Several years ago when I played BG1 all the time (now it is reversed and I play BG2 all the time instead) my computer would crash to the desktop every time I encountered a wyvern be it in the wyvern cave, in between levels, etc. The result was that while I became experienced in fighting other types of creatures I never learned how to fight wyverns while I had that computer. I later played BG1 on a newer computer and didn't have the crashing problem anymore, but since I had never fought them before they were able to kill me much more frequently than the other kinds of creatures that I had long since learned how to fight.
    Post edited by ARKdeEREH on
  • GemHoundGemHound Member Posts: 801
    Ankegs. Pop! Hahaha! You have been oneshotted by the amazing powers of my spit!
  • Aasimar069Aasimar069 Member Posts: 803
    ajwz said:

The most painfully humiliating way to die in bg is to be slapped to death by a carrion crawler.

I must admit, that's the same for me ...

• CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    Normal wolves. On level 1 I usually attack them, close my eyes and start praying to the gods of battle that I might survive XD (seriously, it's one of those insta-death fears I always have in BG1, even nowadays)
  • Aasimar069Aasimar069 Member Posts: 803

I would say that Ankhegs screwed me over in my first couple of playthroughs, and it's hard to get over that scarring first impression of them. Even so, after a while you realise they ain't so tough!

Skeleton Warriors are, on the other hand, a troublesome enemy I feel. Mages being absolutely useless against them, and their AC and to-hit rate being respectably good, they are a burden. Especially because you encounter them at the end of the story and they are a stressful distraction from what you really want to do - kick in Sarevok's shins and those of his cronies!

Surviving to Ankhegs include running in close combat, so they do not use their acidic spit ... a good strategy for low level characters, unless running at them make more ankhegs pop from the ground behind them...
  • BrudeBrude Member Posts: 560
    edited November 2012
    Quartz said:

Ettercaps. They have an ungodly number of attacks per round, a good THAC0, and deadly poison. Next would have to be Battle Horrors/Doom Guards though for sure ... Skeleton Warriors are a royal pain in the ass but by the time you encounter them you are pretty much level cap so it's not too bad.

With all my experience (haha) I still find Ettercaps to be an ENORMOUS p-I-t-a. Mostly because they work in tandem with web traps.

There's an area east of Nashkel where a cave has a trapped entrance, and if your party enters and takes one step, then a web trap goes off. And there's an Ettercap in the room.

There's also one of the "You have been waylaid by enemies" areas that has multiple Ettercaps and you can't move an inch without triggering multiple web traps.

Really, though, in the first game it comes down to any mob with poisons, especially at low levels whe your saving throws absolutely suck.

I remember, back when I first played the game, gleefully getting my butt kicked in that house in Beregost because of the poisons, and a few Hobgoblin Elites decimating my party with their poisoned arrows.

It was fun when it was a challenge. Nowadays I just find stuff like that highly annoying. :-P