Skip to content

Save games from GOG version on iOS?

This is awesome. Didn't think it would ever happen so downloaded the Mac version from GOG a while ago. I'm about halfway through. Will it be possible to transfer save game to the iOS version? With BGII Enhanced it was.

Comments

• CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Yes.
    JuliusBorisovlolien
  • epettiepetti Member Posts: 7
    Next question would be how. I see that it supports App File Sharing in iTunes, but I tried copying over the entire "save" folder, or just a single save game folder into there from my Mac and it doesn't seem to be seeing them when I try to load on the iPad.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
  • taclanetaclane Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 364
    epetti said:

This is awesome. Didn't think it would ever happen so downloaded the Mac version from GOG a while ago. I'm about halfway through. Will it be possible to transfer save game to the iOS version? With BGII Enhanced it was.

Erm. Wait. Are you talking about the GOG PST:EE, or the 1999 Planescape: Torment that GOG has for PC/Mac?

Old torment saves are unfortunately not compatible with :EE. However, saves from PST:EE can be moved between Mac and iOS (or other :EE platforms) with a little effort as noted above.
    JuliusBorisov
    Yea, unfortunately I'm talking original 1999 version. Those transferred successfully for Baldur's Gate II. And at a glance the folders look very similar. But you're saying they're not compatible? Well, it was worth a shot. Thanks.
    JuliusBorisov
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    epetti said:

Yea, unfortunately I'm talking original 1999 version. Those transferred successfully for Baldur's Gate II. And at a glance the folders look very similar. But you're saying they're not compatible? Well, it was worth a shot. Thanks.

That's because the engine underlying all the enhanced editions, including PSTEE, is a modified version of the old BG2 engine.
    taclane
    As a long shot, there's nothing out there in the various modding tools that allows converting an old Planescape Torment save file to Baldur's Gate II format is there? There's so many tools I've found that can read both formats...
    For any interested, I did a bit of experimentation tonight, unfortunately no success. I rejiggered the .sav file to include the worldmap internally as well as the options.lua that I found in the PST:EE .sav file. I then edited the .gam file and changed the version from V1.1 to V2.0. That actually got the save game to appear in PST:EE with correct image and characters and everything. But actually trying to load it just crashed.

I'm sure someone's done conversions between these formats as they must have to get things like BgTutu working where Baldur's Gate was running in the Baldur's Gate II engine, but the tools I found on-line did not have an obvious path to doing that. Just trying to copy all variables from my old save game to one in the new format (saved out of PST:EE) didn't work either.

So in short, no clear path forward and while I've got PST:EE I don't have the heart to start over when I'm halfway through, so I'll probably continue on with the old version of the game. Thanks for all the efforts bringing this game to iOS, though. Definitely worth bringing to a new generation of players.
    Hesser
  • HesserHesser Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

Have the same situation!

Anyway, after a struggle with even finding those damn saves, not getting this working is extremely frustrating.

Perhaps, anyone else found a way to solve this?
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited May 2017
    What Illydth said. Basically Planescape Torment was created from a very early branch of the infinity engine. So creature files, area files, etc were handled differently.

Post edited by elminster on
    tbone1JuliusBorisovtaclaneDoubledimas