Skip to content

Question regarding translations

Quick and easy one, 'cause I'm curious :)
Judging by the FAQ and the Steam page, game will be available at launch with the French translation, both voice over and text. But I also understand that the game was slightly modified by none other than MCA, be it corrections or added text. How were those modifications handled as far as translation is concerned?
Thanks!

PS: guess it can be asked for German, Polish etc, too in case anyone else is interested.

Comments

• KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    The likelihood that there were native speaking people of those languages amongst the beta testers would be rather high, me thinks. ;)
  • DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286
    There were indeed native speakers of French, Polish, German and Korean involved with translating strings during the beta.
  • MeraMera Member Posts: 133
    edited March 2017
    I mean, sure, I have 0 doubt about that. Doesn't mean that among those people, some are competent writers AND had the time to work on it (depending on how much MCA did).

I can read and write professional English rather well but I could not translate a game remotely competently. Also, time constraints, BG2 EE french translation is still in the works for example.

Hence my question on what has been done :)
    (full translation? original French text without MCA changes? en/fr mix?)
  • MeraMera Member Posts: 133

There were indeed native speakers of French, Polish, German and Korean involved with translating strings during the beta.

oh, did not see your comment before posting mine.
    Good to know, thanks for sharing :)
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766

Not just for translating new strings, but also for fixing typos in the old ones. The German dub for the original PS:T was loaded with typos and some mistrantslation/ awkward translations and a lot of the voice lines didn't match the written text. I'd go further into detail regarding the beta but I am not sure what I am allowed to say and what not >.>