Skip to content

Adventure Y ?

Just thinking ...

What about Adventure Y ? Is it going to be post-ship ?

Thanks,

A

Comments

• ginger_hammerginger_hammer Member Posts: 160
    What is Adventure Y?
  • Kristie83Kristie83 Member Posts: 259
    I think I read that somewhere...not sure.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    Answer: yes, sort of. If it exists at all, Adventure Y will be post-ship, free DLC. Not sure on delivery date, though I suspect that focus (now) for BD/OVHL is getting BG:EE out the 'door' so to speak. Then you'll have Adventure Y (and hopefully X, Z, W, V U...) while they tweak BG2 to be EE compatible.

They did an online REDDIT thing a few months back, and Gaider commented on it in very vague terms. I tried to find it in the forums, but it's buried somewhere (my only issue with forums). Discussed in the forums here

He also said something about it being (Trent Oster, that is) a 'drunk tweet' and this might have implied that there is no such animal. I haven't seen anything to guarantee that it is real and that it is going to happen for certain. Therefore, I'm going to stand by and be optimistic, but it won't ruin my experience if there is no such animal.
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited November 2012
    @reedmilfam

I never remember reading it will be free. One of the points of making BG:EE was to build a foundation for paid DLC. We're already getting an amazing deal for $20, let alone expecting DLC for free. I expect to pay for it.
    @bigdogchris - I am probably reading between the lines. So much free content was coming, and I thought this was part of it. I never read anything talking about charging for additional BG:EE content. If they did charge, then I'd probably pay, provided it interested me. Black Pits, for instance, would be a 'pass' for me. I want stories and adventures for my protagonist, so I'd be interested in exploring more of those.
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited November 2012
    I think must of the post-ship free additions will be things like cloud saves, matchmaking, and cross platform play. If they are going to be hiring 3D artist and voice talent for new content beyond what is shipping, I can't imagine that won't come at a price to us. I would expect to pay for any type of unofficial 'expansion'.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    edited November 2012
    With regards to adventure Y being free: while they never explicitly stated it would be, I believe it was originally supposed to be included with the game, which sort of makes it "free", and it kinda makes sense that it would stay that way, despite now being post-ship. Especially because I believe some of people who pre-ordered will have done so under the impression that adventure Y would be included, as previously stated.

I'm not demanding it be free or anything, just saying that you can't really blame people for thinking it would be. Of course this hinges on whether or not they previously said that would be included; I could just be remembering wrong.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    I'm not used to paying for features after buying the game... perhaps I'm too oldschool!
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Hmmm never bought an expansion? :) it's the same old idea with a new name.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    I hope so!

I'm not sure why I thought it was going to be free, but am not going to get wrapped up about it either way
    Call me presumptuous, but I thought it was going to be free as well.
  • LadyEibhilinRhettLadyEibhilinRhett Member Posts: 1,078
    Sorry if I'm late to the party, but um...what exactly is Adventure Y?
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122

A while ago, while the release was still scheduled for september, Trent posted on various sources saying that the plans for new content were 3 new npcs, an adventure X and and adventure Y/

Later on we learned about the npc's and that they would have thier own quests and areas attached to them, and were told that the game contained one new adventure called "The black pits".

This led to a lot of guessing about what adventure Y was, and why it wasn't mentioned in any of the promotional material.

Trent later answered on twitter something along the lines of "What adventure Y? I don't recall an adventure Y" in a sort of tounge in cheek manner. Since then, we haven't heard anything about it, and a lot of people are speculating that it might have been moved back to post-release around the time the game was delayed.

When the game was delayed, in the apology post, Trent also mentioned including an "extra special something" for fans in the main game to make up for this, although again this hasn't been revealed.

Predictably, since this is the internet, this so-called "adventure Y" has generated far more excitement and publicity then any of the features and content that have actually been revealed, hence you may see it mentioned rather a lot on these forums.
    I'm hoping that adventure Y is is the "extra special something" that was promised for the pre-orderers, even if it is post-release.
  • ElzarathElzarath Member Posts: 173
    Dunno, seems a bit unfair to do that. I would have thought DLC would be for everyone. Maybe those of us who pre-ordered get it for free?
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    edited November 2012

To be more specific:
    Tweeter said:

12 May Trent Oster ‏@TrentOster

Adventure X is a side adventure, while Adventure Y is an optional storyline piece in the Bhallspawn series

and from the AMA:

I drunk-tweeted about an Adventure Y which is linked to the story, but we're not going into detail on Adventure Y for a while.

Thats all we know..

Post edited by mch202 on
  • Jack03Jack03 Member Posts: 11
    Thanks, a lot;

Despite i'm a bit disappointed, the new content is rather low and i thought the delay to be a maneer to add more.
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    I'm more interested in Adventure y than the Black Pits (Adventure x) as it sounds like it will be part of the pain game, rather than a seperate mini-scenario
    The same.
  • NWN_babaYagaNWN_babaYaga Member Posts: 732
    edited November 2012
    i realy hope it´s the gnoll stronghold (or someting similar). That one is very popular and I want to adventure along some interesting little tale or quest thats not just hacking away enemies. Nothing against the idea of the black pits but one of this is enough and diversity is what makes a good experience. Even the nashkel mines, which are basically an ongoing gorefest was very cool the first time because you didnt knew it before you reached its exit:D
  • MatthieuMatthieu Member Posts: 386
    From what I read on the English language wikipedia, Adventure Y was meant to alter the bhaalspawn story by expanding it. I don't know how reliable is that information but since we are speculating, let's speculate. I was wondering, actually, if adventure Y was related to Dorn il-Khan. Please note that, of all new NPCs, he is the only one without any zone added. So he's just a new NPC with a side quest, a kit, and a few monsters in current areas? Somehow I find this a bit fishy. Especially considering he is named after Grommir il-Khan (a bhaalspawn).
    Probably a futur quest of BGE:II involving Grommir and some interractions between the two.
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    Jack03 said:

Probably a futur quest of BGE:II involving Grommir and some interractions between the two.

No, Adventure Y supposed to be part of BG1:EE.

'was speaking about the connexion between the two characters.
  • neleotheszeneleothesze Member Posts: 231
    edited November 2012
    "If it exists at all," @reedmilfam @Jack03 Apparently it exists. The fact that it's unanounced still doesn't clarify whether it's post-ship or simply a bonus we get on release day. :)

Sam Hulick's site (music composer for BG:EE)

CREDITS
    VIDEO GAMES
    BALDUR’S GATE: [UNANNOUNCED ADVENTURE]
    Overhaul Games

BALDUR’S GATE: ENHANCED EDITION
    Overhaul Games

BALDUR’S GATE: THE BLACK PITS
    Overhaul Games

@neleothesze Probably splitting hairs. The concept exists, but that isn't the same as 'it' existing, especially insofar as software development goes. I probably should have said 'if it is ever going to be released'. I did think it was going to be free, but who knows (or cares) at this point? I'm sure some people would balk at a nominal charge for the additional content, but most of us would probably just purchase and move on.

Anyway, the concept exists in some form. What that form is and whether it will come out is another matter entirely. I'm interested in it, because it adds content to the game (instead of a stand-alone series of gladiator fights *yawn*) and will hopefully add to the story. Anyway, I'll think about such things after the next two weeks pass and I return to gathering my party and venturing forth.