Skip to content

Solaufein dying offscreen

hetreshetres Member Posts: 29
Hello all!

I've done a bunch of previous play throughs of BG2 and was looking for more of a challenge. So I installed some mods! I'm trying of the tactics mod. the tweaks mod, and I think that's it. I am playing on Multiplayer as I wanted to create three characters as sort of an in between soloing and full party.

I'm in the underdark. I have rescued Phaere and she has told me to meet her in the tavern by the end of the day. I am taking this opportunity to do the killing Qilue quest for that big psychic fish. I'm half way though (unfortunately all my saves are here) and something really weird is happening:

A duplicate Solaufein is battling a bunch of hobgoblin elites offscreen somewhere. I can't find them. And they keep killing Solaufein! As soon as that happens the entire drow city goes hostile. I'd love to finish all these drow quests and I'd also love NOT to start over from the beginning of chapter 5.

Any way to stop this mysterious duplicate Solaufein from getting murdered?

Any thoughts? Any insights? Anyone see this before?

Comments

• Hobgoblins? That's very strange, because:

1) Hobgoblins are weaklings, he shouldn't have the slightest problem dealing with them, especially with the ridiculous AC he must have (because I *think* he has a full plate+5). Are they perhaps buffed by the tactics mod?

2) As far as I can remember there are no hobgoblins in the Underdark.

You could use CTRL+J to examine the entire area quickly and with luck you could locate him before he gets killed. I think there is also a console command to eliminate the "fog of war" too, but I don't know it.

• BorekBorek Member Posts: 513
    OK, my immediate thought is the only way Elite Hobgoblins would be in Underdark is via Monster Summoning, which means he'll be fighting a Wizard somewhere. I have not used Tactics Mod so perhaps that would give the wand of summoning to some enemies, but i'm trying to remember where Solau would be...

He starts off outside the Fighters Guild, then he moves to the Dais by the entrance where you get the Phaere quest...

Oh, man, i think i may know what happened, i have had him get confused when fighting the Mind-Flayers and Umberhulks before at the rescue fight, i guess it's possible that he transitioned back to the city as per his script, still confused, and attacked someone at the entrance, since that is where you must meet him. There are multiple wizards in that area, the shopkeeper nearest him is a wizard and there are the 3-4 wizards that are torturing the Djinni also very close. I'd put my money on him attacking one of them in his confused state, i am not sure if this is what has happened that you can prevent the city turning hostile unless you can perhaps teleport him to another zone.
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    The only thing I can think of is it having something to do with that adventuring party you have to kill as you leave Ust Nathar to meet S to rescue P.

Did you make sure to kill all of them?

A while back in a playthrough of mine, the mage you have to free from imprisonment, got killed offscreen by Kua To while I was at the Swarf... village getting his book because I hadn't cleared the whole area beforehand.

Either way, please let us know if you find out. I love hearing about odd things in BG and what causes them or the solutions.
  • hetreshetres Member Posts: 29
    So one of the mods I have installed randomly spawns countless numbers of hobgoblins in every map i visit throughout the entire game. I'm not sure why this happens, but I assumed it was part of one of the mods I installed. (seriously sometimes there will be just a party of 30-40 hobgoblins chilling in the underdark).

Another thing to mention is that this is definitely a DUPLICATE Solaufein! If I hurry, I can make it into the tavern and see Solaufein standing next to Phaere, but after a few more seconds I see the console say he has died and then everyone panics.
    " (seriously sometimes there will be just a party of 30-40 hobgoblins chilling in the underdark)."

Sorry, but this hilarious.
    Do they have the voices as well?

If you could recruit them you would have an army at your disposal and become "SUPREME RULER OF THE UNDERDARK".

Then go uptop and take on the elves........
    It's very comical, I should try to get a good screen shot.
    So this is definitely a duplicate Solaufein. I can quickly get into the tavern and the real Solaufein is standing next to Phaere where he should be.

I have used C:ExploreArea() and CTRL+J to go almost everywhere in the drow city and I cant find this duplicate. Anywhere I go INSIDE the drow city, the battle rages on and Solaufein dies. He continually takes 15-35 damage per hit from these Hobgoblin Elites.

If I LEAVE the city and go to the general underdark the battle seems to pause. The only area I haven't been inside in the city is house Jae'llet and the lich tower.

This is really frustrating as I already cleaned out the kuo-toa, beholder, and mind flayer lairs and the only usable save I have is the chapter 5 start.
    And you can't find the duplicate outside the city I presume?

I feel for you. Nothing more frustrating than having to reload from a long way back.
    No duplicate outside the city. It is quite frustrating. I took a break from this campaign and used the party to tackle the Black Pits 2 instead. (This final battle is rough!)
  • KuronaKurona Member Posts: 881
    edited April 2017
    If the battle only takes place in Ust Natha the culprit might be the area script. Open AR2200.BCS in Near Infinity and search for any mention of Hobgoblins, there must be something in there. If you don't have NI installed, go to this thread: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/30593/new-versions-of-nearinfinity-available/p1.

Edit: Check Baldur.BCS too while you're at it.
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,434
    @hetres There are or were issues in the past of duplicate creatures following you to different maps when they were in a state of transition (i.e. leaving areas or escaping to another area), like here or there. It usually happened in multiplayer games.

We could take a look if you zip and attach a save.
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,871
    This will be a bug specific to multiplayer. Once you create your party, you could have moved the save from the mpsave to save folders and continued in single player.

It is likely Solaufein duplicated due to reloading in an area when he was trying to move to another area. Large groups of hobgoblins appearing in each area sound like a similar issue. The more you reload, the more creatures you are likely to introduce.

They can be removed via NearInfinity, see http://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/853132#Comment_853132 if you want to have a go yourself otherwise please zip and attach a save.

I took a look at that link and I'm not exactly sure that would be a quick fix if I did it myself! If someone else could take a crack I would be ecstatic.

I've gotten frustrated with this save game so I've been playing Black Pits 2 with this party as a distraction.
    @hetres Please zip and attach the whole save folder (e.g. "000000001-Quick-Save").
    Ah, no problem. Thanks again.
    Try the attached save.

I have cleaned up the Underdark areas. There are many more areas infested with creatures not belonging there, but they shouldn't break the plot so easily.
    Amazing! Thank you so much. Now back to guile and subterfuge in Ust Natha!
    Thanks again, you did a great job...

...maybe too great! Unfortunately the Solaufein that should be in the tavern is now gone too! When I enter and go to talk to Phaere I get stuck in an infinite loop because Solaufein isn't there to interrupt. Any chance you can put a Solaufein back in? Or just start over and only delete the Hobgoblins?
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,871
    If you have the console enabled you could try respawning him
    C:CreateCreature("UDSOLA01")