Skip to content

Any way to turn off enhanced pathfinding?

blackchimesblackchimes Member Posts: 323
Somewhere along the way, the enemy pathfinding was changed from "Go where the player is" to "Go where the player is moving to".

I assume this was done to prevent abuses like kiting(spoiler: didn't work) but the problem is, this makes enemies act bizzare sometimes. For example, if you spot a Wolf, and attack it, it will just stand there waiting for you to come to him - because "Go where the player is moving to" is where he's already standing. What a smart wolf...

Anyway, it just looks silly, so is there any way to get the old functionality back with Baldur.lua or something? It used to be a checkbox in the BG2 config utility, which for some reason doesn't exist anymore.

Comments

• StefanOStefanO Member Posts: 346
    This behavior annoys me too. I'd like to know the answer as well.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    edited April 2017

Somewhere along the way, the enemy pathfinding was changed from "Go where the player is" to "Go where the player is moving to".

It's not a new behaviour. It happened in original BG1 and BG2 as well.

For example, if you spot a Wolf, and attack it, it will just stand there waiting for you to come to him - because "Go where the player is moving to" is where he's already standing. What a smart wolf...

That's also the same behaviour, and also appears in the original.

Anyway, it just looks silly, so is there any way to get the old functionality back with Baldur.lua or something? It used to be a checkbox in the BG2 config utility, which for some reason doesn't exist anymore.

SetPrivateProfileString('Program Options', 'Path Search Nodes', '32000')

Default is 32000. Minimum is 2000. Maximum is 400000.
    Post edited by JuliusBorisov on
  • blackchimesblackchimes Member Posts: 323

That's also the same behaviour, and also appears in the original.

Just installed Baldur's Gate: Original Saga off of GoG to check it and no, it's not. While you're correct that enemies do intercept you, they do not stand waiting when you issue an attack command on them. Apparently in original games attack command doesn't count as a move command as far as the AI pathing engine is concerned.

SetPrivateProfileString('Program Options', 'Path Search Nodes', '32000')

Default is 32000. Minimum is 2000. Maximum is 400000.

Neither has anything to do with what I'm talking about.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    edited April 2017
    I don't think there is anyway to turn off/on enhanced path finding because I don't think it even exists in the EE's, although from what I recall BG2 was the only game that had that as an option ( although HoW and IWD2 may have had it as well)
  • rashkaerashkae Member Posts: 179
    This has nothing to do with the Enhanced Pathfinding option of the original games.. (It was an unfortunate choice to call this thread by that name,), and it was introduced with SOD.

The Wolf standing still is a minor example... for really wonky behaviour, click your move cursor *behind* creatures trying to intercept you, (either to attack or talk). They will themselves turn around and move away from you to intercept at your destination.