Skip to content

Baldur's Gate NPC headcanon thread!

I want to hear everyone's little headcanons about the Baldur's Gate NPC's. Since so many of us here have roleplayed our way through the games at one point or another, I'm sure we have plenty of them.

I'll start it off by saying that I've always viewed Xan as a fallen idealist. I think that at one point in his life he was optimistic, excited, and ready to make a difference, but after decades of doing his duty as a protector of elvenkind, he's just seen too many things go wrong, too many friends die pointless death, too many of his efforts come to naught, and he's become disillusioned. Honestly, just the extent of his pessimism sort of suggests this kind of change. Fallen idealists often make the most jaded cynics of them all, after all.
I believe this is reflected in his name. Moon elves usually have two first names, the one they're referred to during childhood, and one they choose themselves once they become adults and go out into the world. This would mean Xan chose his own name. This is significant because of the etymological meaning of the name "Xan". It comes from the Greek "xenios", meaning "to protect" or "to defend". The literal meaning of the name "Xan" is "one who protects/defends". I always liked to think this meant Xan pretty much defined himself by his duty to protect elvenkind, and if he chose that name, well he must have thought he'd be able to live up to it at the time.

Comments

• LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited November 2012
    Deepening the backstory with one's own "fanon" is really interesting to see. I'll share something eventually, but until then I look forward to seeing what others come up with. It fascinates me to see how the characters take shape uniquely in people's minds.
  • gesellegeselle Member Posts: 325
    Every character needs a short story about their past like Dorn and the other two new NPCs.
    But since they didn't get anything and they most likely won't get anything just shows how much the new NPCs are favored, compared to the rest. Guess it is marketing, still sucks.
  • LadyEibhilinRhettLadyEibhilinRhett Member Posts: 1,078
    @geselle
    Actually, it's because their contract doesn't allow them to modify any of the existing NPCs in that fashion. Either way, it just allows us more room to think up headcanons, amirite?
  • gesellegeselle Member Posts: 325
    I know that the contract binds them, still a bad taste remains, feels more like a npcmod rather than new npcs.
    @geselle
    Well I for one am excited for the new NPCs and anything BGEE has to offer, and will not stop being excited or hopeful that it will be awesome unless I play the game and am proven wrong.
  • imajasjamimajasjam Member Posts: 59
    I headcannon Viconia's backstory to fit her character and FR lore better.

1) her brother attacks their mother but doesn't kill her (freeing her up for the Do'Urdens) Attacking a matron mother and failing is still grounds for Drider transformation.

2) instead of fleeing directly to the surface, she spends the better part of the next century running away from Lloths agents in other drow cities and underdark settlements. Going to the surface is the last resort and probably happened in the last 2-3 years before BG1 starts.

There are alot of underdark settlements in FR lore, not all of them are so pro Lloth. Having a drow in your party that has been on the surface for 100 years + and hasnt caught on the fact that poeple will want to kill her on site is abit silly.
  • DinoDino Member Posts: 291

This would mean Xan chose his own name. This is significant because of the etymological meaning of the name "Xan". It comes from the Greek "xenios", meaning "to protect" or "to defend". The literal meaning of the name "Xan" is "one who protects/defends"

Wait, Xan knows Greek? I though only English, French, German and Spanish were included in the EE ;)
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    I usually headcanon evil characters like Edwin and Viconia as likely - and even willing - to stay in the party regardless of reputation (and also mod it so that they won't leave or complain about it).

The rationale for Edwin is that personal power is a big motivator for him, and under the PC's leadership he'll eventually end up one of the most powerful mages in the Realms, as opposed to hanging around in Athkatla under Mae'var. For all his talk, I believe he's smart enough to see where he's got the most to gain, and that he would be ready to put up with a whole lot to get that, including people thinking he's a hero.

For Viconia it's a combination of early on knowing very well how dependant she is on the party for her continued well-being, and later on simply being too fond of the PC to want to leave.
  • GemHoundGemHound Member Posts: 801
    I've always viewed Xan as a refugee, from a land up North, that was destroyed by the Dark Hordes.
    GemHound said:

I've always viewed Xan as a refugee, from a land up North, that was destroyed by the Dark Hordes.

But it says clearly in his bio that he's from Evereska.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    I have always considered the "boo" doesn't exist and is actually Minsc's pet name for his penis.
    @ajwz
    dammit stop making me spit the water I'm drinking out all over my keyboard.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    I thought Viconia would leave if reputation got too high. Is this a false assumption on my part?
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137

I thought Viconia would leave if reputation got too high. Is this a false assumption on my part?

Yes, you would need to actually max out your rep (to 18) for her to leave, but it is possible. Shin is talking about modding the game to better match his headcanon.
  • MechaliburMechalibur Member Posts: 265
    edited November 2012
    ajwz said:

I have always considered the "boo" doesn't exist and is actually Minsc's pet name for his penis.

Dynaheir: Must thou keep that rodent so close? 'Tis surely unclean.
    :P
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    ajwz said:

If that's true and he still manages to hide Boo in his "hard-to-reach places" then Minsc is one talented guy.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Minsc and boo stand ready.
    Oh, Boo is 'standing ready', all right.
    /shot
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    ITT: Minsc penis metaphors
    Dammit, now you guys have given me a totally dirty mind.
    ..Remember that one time in that BG2 mod that adds Xan in? When Minsc tells Xan that he should totally hold Boo because Boo will cheer him up and then Xan is all like Minsc get that rodent away from me, I'm allergic?
    ahahahahahaha oh gog why
    ...Totally crackshipping one-sided Minsc/Xan now.
  • JaxsbudgieJaxsbudgie Member Posts: 600
    I try to ignore it, but Viconia's back story really clashes with R.A. Salvatore's novels (which mentions the fall of House DeVir), it's a shame the writers of BG couldn't have incorporated this better, could have made for some nice synergy.

• swnmcmlxiswnmcmlxi Member Posts: 297
    "Go for the eyes, Boo..." Errr... no. No, no, no. That picture is far too disturbing.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I've always wondered why Irenicus was keeping a doppelganger (Frennedan) captive. What use would he have for a shapechanger? Interesting questions...
  • WolkWolk Member Posts: 279

Dammit, now you guys have given me a totally dirty mind.
    ..Remember that one time in that BG2 mod that adds Xan in? When Minsc tells Xan that he should totally hold Boo because Boo will cheer him up and then Xan is all like Minsc get that rodent away from me, I'm allergic?
    ahahahahahaha oh gog why
    ...Totally crackshipping one-sided Minsc/Xan now.

We now have an answer for the Minsc gay/notgay thread