Skip to content

The thought process of Thor Ragnarok

ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
Marvel Guy 1- ok the first Thor movie was good with a positive reaction from both fans and critics alike. Thor 2 of the other hand got an OK respond from critics and was panned by fans for haveing to much comedy what can we do to make Thor 3 the best it can be.

Marvel guy 2 - I know lets add more comedy, get a director up who has only comedy movies and put him in charge. Oh and let's add in the hulk Thor fans love the hulk.

MG1 - ok that's not a good idea, our last director was perfect for Thor 2 but due to us makeing him move away from the fantasy setting for a more comedic angle really hurt us so let's not put a comedy director in charge of an action/fantasy movie. Also Thor fans has a very distasteful attitude towards the hulk so let's not have him in it. Instead let's not have hulk in this, instead let's have amora or beta Ray bill in the movie, you know characters the fans want. Also lets get rid of Jane foster and her side kicks for this one and focus on the relashonship between Thor and his comrades in what is the end of their world and let's also build on the love between Thor and Sif.

MG 2 - cool idea I'll send that over to boss and see what he thinks.

MG 2 - great news I gave the boss my idea Insted of yours and he loved it also we are adding more hulk and comedy and it's going to be a Thor movie in name only :D

MG 1 - DAMMIT JEFF

P.S: Yes, i do think Feige and Co. have dropped the ball on the Mighty Thor and his supporting characters and i was not excited for the trailer.
If anything a Thor movie should be more like a high fantasy film rather than a comedic superhero Flick with Hulk as the spotlight stealing character.

Comments

• ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    Any thoughts?
  • ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736
    I actually found Thor 2 much more enjoyable than original exactly because of its subtle comedy elements.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    I think it's just a trailer, to me it doesn't mean much. I trust Marvel based on their track record to release at least an entertaining movie. At most it will be a great movie.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    I thought the comedy parts of Thor 2 where the best bits. And there is no movie that isn't made better by not having Natalie Portman in it.

So yeah, Thor 3 looks good (apart from the lack of Jamie Alexander).
  • ArtonaArtona Member Posts: 1,077
    Apparently Galadriel took the Ring after all. Huh.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    Never judge a movie based on a trailer--chances are that some things you might see in a trailer don't show up in a movie. In fact, sometimes the director will purposely shoot scenes containing false information and put them in the trailer.

If you don't like the look of Thor 3--space is colorful--then blame Guardians of the Galaxy. I like it but then I really liked GotG.

The trailer shows us Mjolnir being destroyed. I have already figured out the easy way for it to get fixed; if you haven't then you weren't paying attention.

I am curious, though, how they are going to explain the apparent discontinuity--didn't Loki set it up at the end of Dark World so that everyone thinks he is dead? Wasn't he pretending to be Odin?

On the wider subject of the MCU itself....that world is a completely inaccurate depiction of what would actually be happening if those events had taken place. I don't mean people being able to build themselves mechanized armor which can fly or Infinity Stones or anything like that. No, in the aftermath of the events of Avengers (2012) the entire world would have absolute, definitive proof beyond anyone's reasonable doubt that 1) extraterrestrial beings exist and 2) some of them are hostile. This would cause *enormous* upheavals our entire global society, chaos of such magnitude that even I cannot predict what form(s) it would take.

On the wider subject of the MCU itself....that world is a completely inaccurate depiction of what would actually be happening if those events had taken place. I don't mean people being able to build themselves mechanized armor which can fly or Infinity Stones or anything like that. No, in the aftermath of the events of Avengers (2012) the entire world would have absolute, definitive proof beyond anyone's reasonable doubt that 1) extraterrestrial beings exist and 2) some of them are hostile. This would cause *enormous* upheavals our entire global society, chaos of such magnitude that even I cannot predict what form(s) it would take.

You mean like people have responded to the threat of Global Warming?

No, I think the films have it exactly right - people would just carry on behaving the same way as they had always done.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    Fardragon said:

You mean like people have responded to the threat of Global Warming?

No, I think the films have it exactly right - people would just carry on behaving the same way as they had always done.
    Global warming isn't even in the same class as an alien invasion. One is, "Hmmm, if I do something now it does absolutely nothing unless almost everybody else on the planet does it with me, and that's only if the predictions are correct when I won't even be alive to see if they are or not." The other is, "Oh my God, not only is there life in outer space it's more advanced than we are and can destroy entire cities immediately!"

Yeah, so similar...
  • ArtonaArtona Member Posts: 1,077
    On the wider subject of the MCU itself....that world is a completely inaccurate depiction of what would actually be happening if those events had taken place.

You are missing the point here. MCU is about superheroes in colorful outfits taking on baddies, and world serves only as a background. It's like accusing "Macbeth" of inprecise depction of world of politics.
    edited April 2017
    A thats why i think Feige and co. have dropped the ball on Thor's character. I don't remember the last time i laughed while reading Lee & Kirby's Thor or Simonson's Thor or Defalco's Thor or even Aaron's Thor.  I don't want to see a Rom Com with Jane and her scooby gang. I want epic adventures focused on Thor and his companions fighting giant monsters like Mangog, Surtur e Jormungard. I don't want the generic doomsday villain version of Malekith, i want the crazy magical Joker version of Malekith. villains.wikia.com/wiki/Malekith_the_Accursed_(Marvel)

I don't want to see crazy naked Selving, i want to see Skurge redeeming himself by giving his life to defend Asgard from the hordes of the underworld. I don't want to hear Thor saying ''i'm running out of things to say'', i want to hear him saying ''Ultron! We would have words with thee.'' 

And i'm not a MCU hater, i'm just a fan of the Thor comics who wants something better from the movies.
  • KrugosKrugos Member Posts: 30
    I've enjoyed all the Marvel Studios movies, looking forward to Ragnarok! :)
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    edited April 2017
    Here's how the reply from Marvel Guy 2 would really be...

Marvel Guy 2 - Have you looked at the numbers? Thor 2 made $644 million at the box office. That's $200 million more than Thor 1. Not that we don't love Thor comic readers, but those readers are only a tiny fraction of the $644 million box office take for Thor 2. Most of the audience has never read a Thor comic. We need to appeal to the fans of the MCU, and they don't know Beta Ray Bill from Cactus Jack. Plus, they LOVE these "team-up" movies. Look at Captain America 3. It did over $1 BILLION at the box office!

Don't forget, we can't make a "Hulk movie", since Universal still has the distribution rights to one. So, if Hulk works in Ragnarok, get Mark Ruffalo in a CGI body suit with his big green foam fists! I'm not saying we just slap some crap together, stuff in the green goliath, and call it a day. We need a good story.

And why are you down on a bit of humor? The MCU movies have had humorous moments and poked fun since the first Iron-Man movie. If you want a humorless superhero movie, check out Batman v. Superman - or Suicide Squad.

EDIT: Paragraphs didn't appear. Had to re-format.
    Don't misunderstand me--I love the MCU. I was merely noting that if non-terrestrial beings showed up on our doorstep just to be friendly and say "welcome to the neighborhood" there would be cults devoted to worshipping them, people committing suicide, people accusing them of being angels, people accusing them of being demons, people claiming that it is a mass hysteria hoax, and so on. The crazies would show up everywhere in all forms, more than they do so now.

I think people got tired of the brooding, humorless, dark superhero shtick; we had to put up with it from about 1985 until nearly 2000 or so. Besides, I think a lot of people were pleasantly surprised at just how *fun* Guardians of the Galaxy was and they want more of it.

• batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    edited April 2017
    I liked Guardians as well, that was a refreshing change of setting from Earths heroes so I didn't mind the light hearted tone.

When I watched Dr. Strange however, I became really tired of the same old slapstick elements that seem almost obligatory in every MCU film. Even in Civil War which was supposed to have a serious tone and it did at times, but the slapstick moments came out at ehm inappropriate situations imo. Anyway by all means keep it family friendly, but not every film needs such a strong dose of comedy.

To be fair we do have the netflix shows to counterbalance things a bit.
    batoor said:

I liked Guardians as well, that was a refreshing change of setting from Earths heroes so I didn't mind the light hearted tone.

When I watched Dr. Strange however, I became really tired of the same old slapstick elements that seem almost obligatory in every MCU film. Even in Civil War which was supposed to have a serious tone and it did at times, but the slapstick moments came out at ehm inappropriate situations imo. Anyway by all means keep it family friendly, but not every film needs such a strong dose of comedy.

To be fair we do have the netflix shows to counterbalance things a bit.

Daredevil and Jessica Jones were good. I liked Luke Cage but it was kinda corny at times - I found the 2nd half villain too over the top. Netflix seems to be losing steam. Iron Fist was pretty poor. Hopefully the Defenders is good.

Dr. Strange just wasn't a great movie. It had good parts but overall - not great, I enjoyed AntMan more and it wasn't great. I'd give Dr. Strange a 7 and Ant Man an 8. Civil War also an 8. Guardians gets a 9.5 :)
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    well if im not mistaken I think Disney owns marvel, so except more comedy to be in marvel movies, because Disney wants to make movies the whole family can enjoy, and that idea seems to be, add silly humor in every once in a while
    edited April 2017
    sarevok57 said:

well if im not mistaken I think Disney owns marvel, so except more comedy to be in marvel movies, because Disney wants to make movies the whole family can enjoy, and that idea seems to be, add silly humor in every once in a while

That's true but marvel movies have had humor and been less than completely serious since the original Iron Man which was before Disney.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    that's true, it's been so long since I've seen the movies before Disney took over, and can barely remember what even happened in the those movies
    sarevok57 said:

that's true, it's been so long since I've seen the movies before Disney took over, and can barely remember what even happened in the those movies

Agreed but I think the first iron Man was memorable if some of the movies in between were not as much.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    sarevok57 said:

I tell you what, my 9 year old daughter loved Guardians and a large part of that is because of the great use of humor and music. It was one of my favorites of the MCU movies and that's probably because of sharing it with her. Thank you Disney!
    To the Beta Ray Bill comment above: Non-cosmic fans didn't knew squat about Rocket Raccoon and Groot and look at them now.

About the GOTG movie, i didn't managed to love it as much as i wanted to, it largelly worked because of Chris Pratt charisma, but there are plenty of things that bugged me, the nerfing of certain characters in particular.

Gamora: From Jim Starlin's snarky and formidable martial artist who can defeat entire platoons by herself and Always likes a good scrap, to a dull and whiny softy who could barely defeat a small Group of inmates and served more as an accessory to Star-Lord.

Ronan the Accuser: From the badass and nuanced Space Judge Dredd from Annihilation and its sequels, to a screaming, pretentious Space Bin Laden who gets killed by something reminiscent of a Care Bears Stare.

Drax: I know Gunn was trying to homage the dimwitted incarnation of the character from the 90's(long story) but even i, a big Starlin fan, thought that decision was meh. Theres a good reason why Keith Giffen turned him into a smarter Kratos/Riddick pastiche in the ''Drax: Earthfall'' comic.

The Kyln: A billion year old, planet sized prison built to hold proemial gods, and it looks like a county look up in the movie.

To say nothing of the bumbling and powerless version of the Nova Corps. XP

Rocket and Groot were great though.

About the Netflix shows, aside from Daredevil, i'm not a fan of them. My issues with those shows are these:

1)I really dislike Jeph Loeb, both as a comic writer and as a producer, so i admit i'm biased. Guy thinks he's doing some profound things with the source material when it really is gutless, low scale and low budget content which tries to repackage the source material into something HE thinks its appropriate. He also tried to replace Richard Rider with Sam Alexander as the main Nova.

2) I gave all these shows a shot, save for Jessica Jones. I watched Whole 2 seasons of Agents of Shield and it felt like an exercise in self torture, and i had a worse feel with Luke Cage.

3) It’s ALL toned down low key stories that even reduce the role of heroes or super heroics. Its not “embracing the source material” as Quesada bragged about Avengers….and I’m right with him on that. The TV is just not a product that seems proud or confident in its ability to display the epic sci-fi and fantasy lore of Marvel Comics, and that’s a problem for me. I'd really like to see Coulson's team fight a 6 meter tall Kree Sentry.

4)Its just not fun. Its grim and gritty and depressing, thats fine for say Daredevil and Punisher, but dammit, Luke Cage should be fun and Iron Fist should have been more mystical

At any event, DC and CW is proving them wrong with Flash and Supergirl. Lots of spandex and costumes, science fiction and fun within that world. Those shows have loyal and die-hard fans that are much more apt to last and hang around than what we’ve gotten so far from Marvel. And i'm more of a Marvel guy.

On a lighter note, check out this very indepth article on the history of Star-Lord i've found some time ago. Really interesting read.

https://richridernova.wordpress.com/2015/11/27/the-sad-saga-of-star-lordhow-marvel-has-turned-a-solid-concept-into-a-mess-of-diluted-characterization/comment-page-1/

edited April 2017
    Yes, they made massive changes to the comics for the GotG movie. And guess what? They had a massively successful movie, so maybe the film makers know what they are doing?

Key points:

*movies aren't comics;

*the audience for movies is not the same as the audience for comics;

*movies are too expensive to cater to minority tastes.

As for me, I enjoy both the movie and the comics GotG. Because I don't expect them to be the same. I also enjoy Agents of Shield and the Netflix shows. Flash and Supergirl are a bit naff though. Arrow started well, but soon started looking tired. Gotham is my favourite DC show, largely on the grounds that it has good actors and it lets them do thier stuff.
    For reasons which probably defy logic, they rushed through Iron Fist so they could get it out of the way in time for their *real* project Defenders. I think another 3 or 4 months of effort into Iron Fist would have produced a significantly better show. That isn't to say that I didn't really enjoy Iron Fist--I liked it a lot--but ultimately it was a rushed project and it shows, especially in the later episodes.

Agents of Shield still holds the record for being the longest prologue in the history of the world. They started off wanting to cash in on Clark Gregg's popularity but it has become the lead-up for The Inhumans movie. I feel a little sorry for the actors playing Inhumans in the show, though, because they probably won't be in the movie. Since we are on the topic of AoS and its main character Phil Coulson, I think it is pretty evident by now that Heimdall is a jerk--he knows that Coulson is alive but has chosen not to tell Thor. Finally, at some point there has to be a Dr. Strange/AoS crossover--I doubt Strange would want the Darkhold in the hands of non-mages. Incidentally, Aida is *incredibly* dangerous since she read the entire book and, being an artificial intelligence, memorized all its contents.

I have seen speculation that Heimdall either has the Soul Gem or *is* the Soul Gem but this is clearly false. Volstagg tells the Collector that they don't want two Infinity Stones on Asgard and since they already have the Tesseract if Heimdall had the Soul Gem they wouldn't have taken it in the first place. Of course, we have to wonder why Odin sent the Tesseract to Earth in the first place--was it because they had to choose which Gem to keep?

My only problem with the Arrowverse shows is that neither I nor any of my friends were that full of angst and doubt when it came to the subject of personal relationships even when we were teenagers. I give an extra thumbs-up to Legends, though, because it is the only show where the protagonists erase themselves from existence (at least one version of themselves).
    Heimdall has to be under an obligation to respect people's privacy. If Coulson has chosen not to inform Thor that he is alive, Heimdall has no right to interfere unless the information jeopardises Asgard.

As for the Tesseract, the only reason to send it to Earth would be because there was already an infinity stone in Asgard. Which must have been the Soul Stone since the others are all accounted for.

Although Volstagg was acting under orders from Loki, who no doubt had his own reasons for wanting to give the Aether to the Collector.
    Fardragon said:

Heimdall has to be under an obligation to respect people's privacy. If Coulson has chosen not to inform Thor that he is alive, Heimdall has no right to interfere unless the information jeopardises Asgard.

As for the Tesseract, the only reason to send it to Earth would be because there was already an infinity stone in Asgard. Which must have been the Soul Stone since the others are all accounted for.

Although Volstagg was acting under orders from Loki, who no doubt had his own reasons for wanting to give the Aether to the Collector.

@Notabarbiegirl thinks that Odin has known about Thanos all along and has been secretly working *with* Loki so that they may make their preparations for his impending attack. I cannot disagree with her assessment because it actually makes sense. By giving the Aether to the Collector, they know where that stone is so that when Thanos comes for it the agent they left on Knowhere will alert them.
  • NotabarbiegirlNotabarbiegirl Member Posts: 141
    B) That was part of my theory.

I also, thought that we should keep in mind who actually trained Loki in the use of Magic in the first place, and that she would not be killed so easily.

It will be interesting to see where they go with both Guardians2 and Ragnarok.

(attempts waiting patiently for release of said Movies ) :/
    A little off topic, but i, as a big fan of Nova, felt the need to share this.

https://richridernova.wordpress.com/2017/04/19/nova-canceled/

One of the reasons why DC Rebirth is better than the current crop of Marvel comics.
    Never liked second-rate-green-lantern-ripoff-man. But comics are struggling generally.
    Fardragon said:

Never liked second-rate-green-lantern-ripoff-man. But comics are struggling generally.

Richie isn't really similar to the Green Lanters beyond the space police thing. His original characterisation was more similar to Peter Parker Minus the charm before Annihilation Turned him into a mature and badass Hero.

As for comics struggling, i blame the speculator boom from the 90's, videogames, anime and the dimwitted editors and big heads of Marvel and Dc
    edited April 2017
    Changing culture, comics where big when alternative entertainments for youngsters where far more limited.

If you look back at the 19th century, story based magazines like the Strand, and penny dreadfuls, where popular, but now they have pretty much disappeared. Comics will inevitably go the same way. Not helped by them being relatively expensive these days.