Skip to content

Any interest in a save game editor?

BROJBROJ Member Posts: 6
Hi all,

I'm new to the forums, so salutations and all that. I've recently finished mapping out the save game format for my own purposes with a hex editor. Which is sufficient for my needs.

What I currently have mapped out:
HP (Current/Max)
EXP (TNO and others)
Money
Class Levels
Current Class
Attributes
Saving Throws
Base # Attacks
Lore
Items
Unused Proficiencies (Still working on finding allocated proficiencies)

The options for save editors are pretty hit-or-miss for the original PS:T; nil for the enhanced edition. It wouldn't be difficult to piece together a console application, or even a GUI. However, I'd rather not waste my time if such a thing would not be used by others.

That said, let me know if you're interested. I'm more leaning towards a console app as GUI applications tend to require more dependencies/time-investment.
TeflontaclaneProont

Comments

• GawainBSGawainBS Member Posts: 523
    YEs, this is always welcome. Cool to experiment with. :)
  • QueegonQueegon Member Posts: 363
    An editor is ok, if you make it an interface for easy navigation without chewing through lines of text.
    Because nearinfinity does all that already and is easy to use. It just doesn't have an interface.
  • ValamirCleaverValamirCleaver Member Posts: 184
    For the original game there was the Infinity Engine Savegame Editor. For the Enhanced Edition Near Infinity currently works and EE Keeper will be updated to work in the future.

http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/IEmodding/IESE.php
    https://github.com/NearInfinityBrowser/NearInfinity/wiki
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/eekeeper/
    Proont
  • MateoFrozenMateoFrozen Member Posts: 82
    Yes editor would be good idea, currently my party is in Clerk's Ward and in my journey some of my items dissapered :'(
  • QueegonQueegon Member Posts: 363
    edited April 2017

Yes editor would be good idea, currently my party is in Clerk's Ward and in my journey some of my items dissapered :'(

There is a bg-style console for missing items now.

Find baldur.lua in your documents->planescape folder

add the line: SetPrivateProfileString('Program Options','Debug Mode','1')
    activate console in game by clicking ctrl+space

write in:

C:CreateItem("x",y) – Creates y number of item x. If y is ommited, one x will be created.

For list of items and their x codes, download either NearInfinity

Open it in your planescape folder, browse ITM codes for the one you need

or better yet EE Keeper:
    Check Item Browser with search function, look up the codes, add the item with console. Don't use eekeeper for modifying games as of now.
    MateoFrozen
  • ChosenUndeadChosenUndead Member Posts: 9
    Know this is a bit unreleasted but would it be possible to move a save from vanilla into enhanced?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,713
    @ChosenUndead It's not possible. They have different file format.
  • BROJBROJ Member Posts: 6
    I wouldn't say it's impossible, just extremely impractical.

In order to do this, I'd have to read in the original save file, interpret every byte into some intermediate representation and write to the new format. There would likely be data loss and/or interpolation required between the two formats. Naturally, this would require a massive amount of testing and research long before a viable release candidate would surface. Moreover, should Beamdog, for any reason, change the destination file format, it would very likely break/corrupt any save game - hopefully in obvious ways - starting the testing/research cycle again.

Tl;dr Probably quicker to use existing tools to speedrun the game.
  • immagikmanimmagikman Member Posts: 664
    Yes tools...and more tools are nice, make it a clean gui editor though, no command line
  • harunjuhaszharunjuhasz Member Posts: 1
    I would really love to import an original savegame to the enhanced edition.