Post edited by Yulaw9460 on
TressetTeflon

Comments

• AbelAbel Member Posts: 785
    No, there's none (checked with NI).
    Tressetmement0
  • fkirenicusfkirenicus Member Posts: 331
    edited May 2017
    It's strange that the Anarchists at least won't accept stolen goods. Not to mention Quint - I mean, he runs a store more or less BASED on stolen goods... :smile:
    Post edited by fkirenicus on
    mf2112mement0
  • Yulaw9460Yulaw9460 Member Posts: 634
    edited November 2018
    Deleted.
    Post edited by Yulaw9460 on
  • PugPugPugPug Member Posts: 560

It's strange that the Anarchists at least won't accept stolen goods.

It has been many years, but they aren't true anarchists, are they? They just don't think the big factions should have such power?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,713
    edited May 2017
    Pick pocketed items should be sellable to any store (as long as the store buys that item normally).

Items stolen from a store through the store's interface are treated differently. Original PST didn't have any stores that bought stolen goods, and PST:EE is the same.
    Post edited by JuliusBorisov on
    AbelTeflonmf2112
    PugPug said:

It has been many years, but they aren't true anarchists, are they? They just don't think the big factions should have such power?
    Yep, but they're hellbent (literally, remember Ebb in Carceri?) on taking power from other factions, and I'm quite sure they'd have no qualms about dealing in stolen goods if that was what it took "to bring the system down"...
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636
    edited May 2017
    PugPug said:

No, they literally want to overthrow the other factions. There are only 15 factions, by mandate of the Lady of Pain. The Revolutionary League wants to end the faction system in its entirety.

It's strange that the Anarchists at least won't accept stolen goods. Not to mention Quint - I mean, he runs a store more or less BASED on stolen goods... :smile:

Why would anarchists accept stolen goods? They're about overthrowing the other factions, not ruining Sigil's merchants. Please do some more research about Sigil's factions.
    http://www.kriegstanz.com/anarchists.html
    http://www.mimir.net/factions/anarchists.html

Even in the real world, anarchists aren't about ruining the common man.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anarchism
    edited May 2017
    Be that as it may, I doubt very much that the anarchists in Sigil would have any qualms about dealing in stolen goods, given the way they behave in Leena's Cell, for example. Or Ebb in Carceri, for that matter. They want you to kill and maim, and "tear down the system". That's their main (and only? refer to the links to you gave me...) goal.
    That they would be squeamish about dealing in stolen goods just doesn't add up to me. "We'll bring down the system, as long as it doesn't include dealing in stolen goods!"? Not likely. :smile:
    Also, I fail to see that the anarchists dealing in stolen goods ruins Sigil's merchants or the common man. Please explain why it would.
    Abel
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636
    edited May 2017

Also, I fail to see that the anarchists dealing in stolen goods ruins Sigil's merchants or the common man. Please explain why it would.

It wouldn't, but you have to realize their motivation. Their motivation is to free everyone from the shackles of the system (which, in Sigil, is the Faction system). How does dealing in stolen goods do crap for that? Here's a quote from the Factol's Manifesto ( https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-BT_PSB49zNMF83RE9oWVMzTUU ) on Anarchists. Fyi, the Factol's Manifesto is the source material for Factions.
    The Anarchists give the appearance of complete chaos, but it just ain’t so. See, their organization style just differs from what’s normal for other groups. The Revolutionary League divides itself into cells: little groups of bloods who act together and share information. The cells talk to each other through representatives, so a typical Anarchist never meets more than a dozen other members of the faction. This way, Anarchists that get pinched can’t give too trace the connections back a cell or two, the League member involved all have changed their names, found new kips, and disappeared into the woodwork. That’s why they’re so tough to root out, and almost impossible to destroy.
    And look into this dark: When the Harmonium or another group kills an Anarchist or wipes out a cell, it actually helps the Revolutionary League. Other factions wouldn’t seek the Anarchists’ destruction unless they feared them, see? So, lots of berks join up, figuring the League must be doing something right.

Does that sound like a group who's interested in essentially being petty thieves? (Read p. 114 to 119 for everything about the Anarchists.) The Revolutionary League thinks everyone who isn't a higher-up in the other Factions is being held down. It's the "bourgeoisie vs the leaders of the other Factions", to them. And the other Factioneers are just pawns of the other Faction's higher-ups. Buying stolen goods doesn't help the revolution!

Every faction is downright fanatical about their philosophy. That's the whole point of the Factions.
    edited May 2017
    Yes, their motivation is to free everyone from the shackles of the system, and yes, they are fanatics.
    That's exactly why it doesn't add up to me that they would be squeamish about dealing in stolen goods. Not as a main thing, no. They aren't there for *that* purpose, absolutely not. But from what I gather this wouldn't be a showstopper for them, either. So I still don't buy that the anarchists we meet in PST's Sigil wouldn't deal in stolen goods if it furthered their cause. Some of them aren't that occupied with the "Grand Cause" either; remember that skull of anarchist at Lothar's that boasted of having killing and robbed TNO in Curst?
    BTW: Buying stolen goods doesn't hinder the revolution, either.
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    I'm no expert in anarcho-communist thought, but I don't think stealing from common merchants is part of the platform. Steal from The Man, by all means, they'll laud that. But steal from the bloke on the street? That's half their beef with The Man in the first place.
    mf2112