1. Multiclass
      28.21%
    2. Dual - class
      56.41%
    3. Something else
      15.38%

Comments

• OrlonKronsteenOrlonKronsteen Member Posts: 905
    You've already got one multi caster with Aerie. I'd go with a dual for your PC so you can get timely access to higher level spells.
  • SomeSortSomeSort Member Posts: 859
    Assuming you just want something to handle traps, locks, and illusions, a Swahbuckler dualed to mage at level 10 is going to be perfect for your needs. 100s in the three relevant skills, fairly short downtime, and a small AC / THACO boost, too. Plus then you get that nice quick mage leveling.

If you want your character to do stealth and traps, too, you're going to need to make a multiclass M/T.
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    A shadow dancer dualed to mage can be fun. Cheesy, but fun.
    tbone1 said:

A shadow dancer dualed to mage can be fun. Cheesy, but fun.

(This reminds me that I still haven't tried a Shadowdancer, so thanks.)
  • proghead3proghead3 Member Posts: 65
    There are some good suggestions above. Let me also throw in bounty hunter 11 > mage into the mix. I don't remember exactly what the base thievery skills are off the top of my head, but I think you should have (or nearly should have) enough points to get find traps, lock picks, and set traps to 100.
  • CvijetaCvijeta Member Posts: 417
    Thanks guys, I decided I will do swashbuckler dualed to mage at level 10.
    proghead3 said:

There are some good suggestions above. Let me also throw in bounty hunter 11 > mage into the mix. I don't remember exactly what the base thievery skills are off the top of my head, but I think you should have (or nearly should have) enough points to get find traps, lock picks, and set traps to 100.

Human Bounty Hunters with 18 dex should need 230 skill points to max Locks, Find Traps, and Set Traps. At level 11, you'll have 240 skill points to play with, so that'll be totally doable with ten points to spare.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Oops, sorry, I mis-clicked and voted "Something else" by mistake. I meant to vote "Dual-class" for the same reasons already explained above by others.

Sw10->M is a very viable character, although my personal preference is Sw12->M to get good pickpocketing skill as well. (Yes, I know you've got Haer'Dalis who can pick pockets, but his PP skill maxes out quite low, whereas a Sw12->M can do it much better and sooner.)

Oops, sorry, I mis-clicked and voted "Something else" by mistake. I meant to vote "Dual-class" for the same reasons already explained above by others.

Sw10->M is a very viable character, although my personal preference is Sw12->M to get good pickpocketing skill as well. (Yes, I know you've got Haer'Dalis who can pick pockets, but his PP skill maxes out quite low, whereas a Sw12->M can do it much better and sooner.)

It's kind of icky and I totally get feeling gross about it and not wanting to do it, but... Potions of Master Thievery give you +40% Pickpocket each, and they stack. You can drink 5-6, get around 250 pickpocket, and then go on a spree. 250 pickpocket will give you a guaranteed success against even the toughest checks in the game, (Bernard, Mrs. Cragmoon, Renal, etc.), and the potions last long enough to rob all of the soldiers, nobles, and stores in Athkatla.

Over the course of your stealing spree you'll actually wind up swiping more than the 5 or 6 Potions of Master Thievery that were required to get everything rolling, so it's actually cheaper than free. So even someone like Nalia has all the pickpocketing points you'll ever need.

(Like I said, it feels kind of icky and investing hard points into Pickpocket is much more satisfying, so I'm not trying to dissuade anyone, I'm just providing information.)
    SomeSort said:

No problem. It's a fun class, with Hide in Plain Sight, and it also takes care of the usual "okay, but who's the thief?" problem I have when planning a BG2 party.

• ElysianEchoesElysianEchoes Member Posts: 475
    tbone1 said:

SomeSort said:

No problem. It's a fun class, with Hide in Plain Sight, and it also takes care of the usual "okay, but who's the thief?" problem I have when planning a BG2 party.

What level would you dual class a shadowdancer to mage? 10 levels is enough to get either 100 in each Hide in Shadows and Move silently, OR 100 in open locks and find traps, but not really both, right? But waiting until level 20 to dual would be not very fun, I would think. I feel it would be difficult to take advantage of both HiPS and being able to find traps and open locks.
  • QuickbladeQuickblade Member Posts: 957
    tbone1 said:

SomeSort said:

Plus having what is functionally a time-stop to run away and hide when you miss a hide before going back in for stabby action.

What level would you dual class a shadowdancer to mage? 10 levels is enough to get either 100 in each Hide in Shadows and Move silently, OR 100 in open locks and find traps, but not really both, right? But waiting until level 20 to dual would be not very fun, I would think. I feel it would be difficult to take advantage of both HiPS and being able to find traps and open locks.

I just looked up a saved game. I went through BG1 and got the tome for a dexterity of 19. I then started BG2 (I don't own SoD yet, we're an Apple household) and went through Chez Irenicus. I am at level 11 and if you put all your points into those four you get a total of 340. That's 85% each, if you split them equally. Add a couple rings you find along the way to find/remove traps and pick locks, throw in a Knock spell, and 11 should be enough if you skew a bit towards HiS and MS. I understand if you wait for level 12.

Oh, and the Hide in Plain Sight makes wands more useful, since you don't get exposed during the casting time.
  • NuinNuin Member Posts: 451
    It seems like such a wasted opportunity that you're taking Keldorn instead of Korgan. You already have a decent melee (Anomen), good ranged (Mazzy) and someone who does both (HD). A stronger tanky presence would be preferable over a two-handed weapon user, especially in a team that already has so much caster presence (PC, Aerie, Anomen, HD).

Not to mention Korgan has great dialog with Mazzy and even Aerie (if you can keep your CHA high enough to delay his attack on her, easy with the Ring of Human Influence).
    Nuin said:

It seems like such a wasted opportunity that you're taking Keldorn instead of Korgan. You already have a decent melee (Anomen), good ranged (Mazzy) and someone who does both (HD). A stronger tanky presence would be preferable over a two-handed weapon user, especially in a team that already has so much caster presence (PC, Aerie, Anomen, HD).

Not to mention Korgan has great dialog with Mazzy and even Aerie (if you can keep your CHA high enough to delay his attack on her, easy with the Ring of Human Influence).

But Kedorn's True Sight and Dispel Magic are very useful and he can wield what is (IMnsHO) the best weapon in the game.
    Well, I prefer doing good deeds and playing nice all the time, so Korgan is off. Keldorn won't leave me if I aquire 19rep.

Currently, I found out at hard way, you really have to use some exploit to start the game with level 10 character without playing BGEE. Then, starting your level 10, and dualing right away, it takes a lot of time to regain your thief abilities, I reach level 11 as mage duing ch2. Yikes. Now, I have my thieving skills back.
  • BorekBorek Member Posts: 513
    Cvijeta said:

Well, I prefer doing good deeds and playing nice all the time, so Korgan is off. Keldorn won't leave me if I aquire 19rep.

Currently, I found out at hard way, you really have to use some exploit to start the game with level 10 character without playing BGEE. Then, starting your level 10, and dualing right away, it takes a lot of time to regain your thief abilities, I reach level 11 as mage duing ch2. Yikes. Now, I have my thieving skills back.

Not really, save all your Scrolls from Chateau Irenicus, then do a stealing rampage before you dual class into mage and steal as many Higher level scrolls as you can using Potions of Master Thievery (and free 20% PP gloves upstairs in the Copper Coronet), once you hit the desired level as a thief then dismiss the other NPC's, dual class, then scribe scrolls for 1000 x spell level XP each time, if you used the scroll case to store the scrolls you will easily overtake your rogue level as mage.

Depending how greedy you are it's possible to get to level 15 or 16 as a mage just on the scrolls available from the shops in Athkatla.
    I guess I don't understand the game yet.
  • Yulaw9460Yulaw9460 Member Posts: 634
    edited November 2018
    Deleted.
    Post edited by Yulaw9460 on
  • profanitywarningprofanitywarning Member Posts: 294
    edited May 2017
    Edit: nevermind, got it wrong.
  • fatelessfateless Member Posts: 330
    I actually had a good thief mod way back in the day but it wasn't the most popular. Can't even remember the name of it. had a couple of different versions of the npc with two different kits depending on what you wanted. I don't even remember where I used to get it. just that it was a bit off the beaten path for mods.

That was my go to thief in a number of my builds for a long while.
    tbone1 said:

Nuin said:

But Kedorn's True Sight and Dispel Magic are very useful and he can wield what is (IMnsHO) the best weapon in the game.
    Also, Keldorn won't cause any of the other current party members to leave, while Korgan and Aerie is a ticking time bomb. You might get lucky and not run into any problems. You might get unlucky and find yourself losing either your tank or your healer somewhere in the Underdark with no viable replacements in sight.

(Speaking of: Haer'Dalis and Aerie might also be problematic if OP is trying to romance Aerie.)
    Cvijeta said:

I guess I don't understand the game yet.

Nobody does their first couple of times through.

Typically, if you unlock your dual-class midway through Chapter 2, it's considered a short dual. Reaching level 11 as a Mage takes 375,000 XP, which is a not-insignificant chunk. But if you're being a relative completionist, you could get as much as 1.5m XP out of Chapter 2/3, so you're looking at only about a quarter of that time spent unlocking your dual-class, which isn't that much in the grand scheme of things.

As you get more experienced, you learn (a) which quests give good XP rewards for minimal effort, (do these during your downtime after dual-classing!), and (b) what other little tricks you can do to speed the process up. A common one, when dual-classing to mage or thief, is to take advantage of the fact that scribing scrolls, unlocking locks, and disarming traps provide not-insignificant XP totals.

If you scribe one copy of every spell of the first six levels, you get like a half-million XP out of it. If you kick all of your companions out of your party temporarily before doing that, all half-million of that XP goes to your main character, which is enough to get him to level 11 and unlock his dual-class immediately without any wait whatsoever.

If you want to get really cheesy, you can steal every single scroll in the city, scribe them all, then erase them from your spellbook and scribe them again, repeating as often as you have scrolls. With this method you can get millions of experience points in one fell swoop. But... it's insanely cheesy, and you'll ruin a large part of the challenge of the game for yourself. So I wouldn't recommend it.
  • NuinNuin Member Posts: 451
    edited May 2017
    High Cha delays or pretty much prevents those kinds of dialog (personally I've only gotten them a handful of times in all my BG2 games). I've also never seen them fight during the events of Spellhold/the Underdark, it's usually before/after and you can reload when those kinds of dialog happen.
    It also turns out really well if you manage to delay the fight until after ToB, where Korgan's true motives are revealed.

He already has three arcane casters and two divine casters, I don't think Dispels/Remove Magic/True Sights/anti-magic spells are going to be an issue.
    The way his party is currently set up, then assuming he uses Mazzy as an archer that leaves Anomen as the main tank (HD is a great temporary tank, but a bad full-time one). Personally I'm not overfond of using Anomen as a main tank, especially if he has to compete with Keldorn for the Gauntlets of Dexterity.

So it makes the most sense for Mazzy to be the main tank. Some people actually prefer her that way, and it works well but you must get her early. I suggested Korgan because he conveniently fixes all of that (among other things), but as OP pointed out Korgan does leave if you keep stacking reputation.

All in all, I'd simply suggest getting Mazzy ASAP or she'll sink her extra proficiency points into short swords and your PC/HD will be competing with her for those, a shame considering all the other weapon types you'll be missing.
  • fatelessfateless Member Posts: 330
    you can also lower the chances of Aerie and Korgain fighting through party position. If you have Korgan in the first or second position in the party(likely the second) and Aerie in the 5th or 6th(I don't remember which is optimal) You have less chance of the argument happening because they aren't as near to each other and "interacting" quite as often so to speak to have it come up. This also applies to Minsc and Edwin, and Keldorn and Viconia.

with an 18 to 20 charisma and them put in these positions. It's potentially possible to go the entire game without the fight dialogue to come up. Or have it come up only once or twice if your the type to reset when they leave/kill each other. over these moments.

It's one of the undocumented uses for Charisma and Charisma is really only useful mostly in the hands of the main character because it's usually our first slot character.
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    Didn't read all comments yet, but the party in the OP lacks what I call an ASCAM: 'as single class advancing mage', every BG(2) party needs at least one. So dual-class it is.
    I recruited Jaheira. I'm just doing Umar Hills quest, but I don't think I will go for Mazzy since Jaheira is well versed in combat and spells by now.